PDA

View Full Version : Riat 2002

leshodge
16th Jun 2002, 20:18
Riat 2002;
My father and i went to RIAT last year, and we would love to go again this year. The difficulty however is the rather benine, un-military related issue of accommodation. I appreciate this is probably not the place, but worth a go anyway. Anyone know of any place or anywhere near that we could crash for the night? We tried travelling on the day last year, and its 'hard work on a motorbike' moans my daddy.
Whilst we discuss RIAT, does anybody work at Fairford? anyone know of any 'jobs' that may need doing, which would get me in for 'a considerably reduced rate'?
Thanks again!
Lee

Tocsin
16th Jun 2002, 21:07
Lee,

RIAT relys on literally thousands of volunteers, who are accomodated in barrack accomodation, working for anything between a couple of days and several weeks.

You're probably too late for this year (unless you have some skill that's in short supply!), but there's no harm in trying. RAF Benevolent Fund Enterprises are on:

01285-713300
www.rafbfe.co.uk

Failing that, there are usually loads of camp sites...

The Mistress
16th Jun 2002, 21:38
Some of the paid temporary Admin jobs for the Airshow have been advertised in Witney JobCentre in the past.

Tel: 01993 745400

Bit late in the day but worth a try.

BrizeBoY
16th Jun 2002, 21:47
Think your late for a job a Fairford, however, try www.laterooms.co.uk. I got my parents a good deal, much cheaper than the standard rate for accom in nearby Burford. Could also try inputtign Cirencester or Fairford into their search engine. Good luck!

BLW Skylark 4
16th Jun 2002, 22:50
Lee,

I am working as a 'Volunteer' at RIAT this year and like the others say, I think you are too late this year as the paperwork was done literally months ago.

Accommodation on base, even for volunteers, is virtually non-existant and therefore most are either being accommodated off site, or like me are opting for a tent in the staff camp site.

For the last few years howver, I have camped in the official RIAT campsite known as "Kempsford Camping". They have two sites, Reevey & Middle Farm - I recommend the former. They charge £10.00 per night and can be contacted on 01285 810255.

Hope this helps.

"Skylark"

:cool:

leshodge
17th Jun 2002, 16:02
thanks a lot guys, most appreciated!
hope to see ya there!
Lee