PDA

View Full Version : Flight Compures

Capt BK
16th Jun 2002, 20:02
Me again,

I bought an ARC-1 flight computer made by AFE from my club when I started my PPL before I knew much about the elusive things. The question is, can I complete my CPL on it? I know you need a CRP-5 but mine has high speed scales etc. I'd rather not have to fork out another £70.

Any ideas

oxford blue
17th Jun 2002, 20:55
I'm sorry, but without having an ARC-1 in front of me, I can't remember whether it has a compressibility correction faciliity. If it doesn't, then you need a CRP-5 or at least another computer with a compressibility facility.

You used to be able to use computers without a compressibility correction and take a little table into the exam under CAA rules. Now, under JAA that's no longer allowed. No "tables" may be used in any exam except those provided as Annexes to the paper.

The CRP-5 also calculates TAS from TMN, calculates True Altitude from Pressure Altitude and Temperature, and calculates Density Altitude. All of these are required for the JAA Gen Nav ATPL, and although you can use a calculator and formulae, it is much quicker with a CRP-5. Most people who have done the Gen Nav exam will tell you that shortage of time is a serious factor. Whilst I fully accept that lashing out another £70 is not something you do lightly, you do need to give yourself the best possible chance, and compared against flying hours, it's not too expensive.

And let's face it, if you look after it properly, the CRP-5 will last you the rest of your life.