PDA

View Full Version : Non-TEA twin in Auckland area

sgenie
5th Sep 2015, 21:33
Is there a non-TEA twin in Auckland area (Ardmore/North Shore) available for rent? Looks like all twins are TEA nowadays.

RHSandLovingIt
5th Sep 2015, 22:10
SMB (P68C) at Auckland Aeroclub. Old school 6pack with a couple of Garmins (530 and 430 from memory) for the RNAV ;)

Was in the $500-550+/hr range last time I checked.

sgenie
5th Sep 2015, 22:15
Nope, SMB has faulty 430 now.

27/09
6th Sep 2015, 04:13
What do you mean by non-TEA? Traditional six pack? I know it's a grey area but even stuff with a G500 or Aspen isn't necessarily classified as TEA.

I'm not sure what's at Ardmore or Norh Shore anymore other than the likes of SMB. There used to be an Aztec (CUS?) at Sport and Aviation club at WP.

There might be options if you look south. Though there's nothing at TG anymore so far as I know there is/was a Tecnam at Matamata with an Aspen. Also I think the Waikato aero club have a twin they hire out.

sgenie
6th Sep 2015, 04:15
Aye, six-pack. And Aspen is classified as TEA, at least I was told so. WP does not have anything but MBV (PA40) but it is offline most of the time.

27/09
6th Sep 2015, 04:34
And Aspen is classified as TEA, at least I was told so.

Told so by who?

I was given the exact opposite answer a while back, where only something like a G1000 was considered a TEA. Personally I think there was a bit of protectionism going on where those operators with G1000's didn't want the likes of a G500/Aspen to be classified as a TEA.

But also I have been told it was up to the examiner to accept which classification the aircraft was i.e. TEA or non TEA.

Personally I think if an G500/Aspen is hooked up to an IFR GPS and there are no steam guages then it's a TEA. The rule says something like integrated systems. I would consider this integrated. But as I said before I've been told by some people this is not TEA .

However if the Aspen (or G1000) is fitted in a panel where there is still an ASI ALT, VSI Turn Co-rd fitted (basically a 6 pack where the G500/Aspen is the EADI and EHSI surrounded by the steam guages) then it definitely can be classified as non TEA. I know of some aircraft in this configuration and they are treated as non TEA.

sgenie
6th Sep 2015, 07:35
TEA is not only about 6-pack being arranged in a single screen. It also gives you the indication of wind, corrections, and such thus taking away the necessity to run all this in your head.

I think I found my way around this kefafl - thanks, everybody, anyway!

alexWCD
7th Sep 2015, 09:18
Straight from the AC:

TEA Definition1
A Technically Enhanced Aircraft (TEA) is defined as: an aircraft approved for IFR flight in which the primary flight instruments and navigation information are displayed electronically by an integrated system that has been certified at TSO level and is capable of displaying critical information about an aircraft’s flight path, situation, position, and progress.

27/09
7th Sep 2015, 10:34
Straight from the AC:

TEA Definition1
A Technically Enhanced Aircraft (TEA) is defined as: an aircraft approved for IFR flight in which the primary flight instruments and navigation information are displayed electronically by an integrated system that has been certified at TSO level and is capable of displaying critical information about an aircraft’s flight path, situation, position, and progress.

I am aware of that definition.

However I know of pilots being issued with a non TEA IR where the flight test has been done in an IFR aircraft which I would consider is fitted with a system where primary flight instruments and navigation information are displayed electronically by an integrated system that has been certified at TSO level and that system is capable of displaying critical information about an aircraft’s flight path, situation, position, and progress