PDA

View Full Version : B17 over Cumbria

Sholto Douglas
5th Sep 2015, 18:12
Can anybody confirm whether there was a B17 over Cumbria late this afternoon - Saturday 5th Sept?

Many thanks

muggins
5th Sep 2015, 18:25
Sally B was booked to display at the Prestwick air show this afternoon

Edit to add: also displaying at Portrush today

the_flying_cop
5th Sep 2015, 18:43
Yes, she came up from duxford and I believe returns tomorrow after Ayr.

Sholto Douglas
5th Sep 2015, 21:26
Many thanks for the confirmation. First sighting in other 55 years of spotting!

Mr Mac
7th Sep 2015, 07:29
Sholto Douglas
I also got to see her tracking North over Holmfirth Sat pm with a Dakota about an hour before her. Looked out for both coming back yesterday but no luck, though did see a Catalina going South about 17.00. Like you the first time I have seen a B17 in the air, good looking plane, and aesthetically in flight, I thought better looking than a Lancaster ( I will whisper that quietly and get my coat !).

Cheers
Mr Mac

Sholto Douglas
7th Sep 2015, 08:04
Thank you Mr Mac

Can you confirm the approximate time of your sighting?

Mine was 1710-1715 over Cockermouth.

This is just to confirm my recognition!

Regards

Sholto

Mr Mac
8th Sep 2015, 06:54
Sholto
I can not confirm precise time, but think it was approximately 16.00 which would be some where near correct for your 17.00 siting in northern Cumbria, given the distance between Holmfirth and Cockermouth. Very distinctive with that tall tail plane, and not a bad sound either as it passed overhead within a mile of where I was stood.

Cheers
Mr Mac

DX Wombat
8th Sep 2015, 17:54
That's exactly what happened arrived Saturday and did the final display part of which was done with the bomb bay doors open, then returned Sunday afternoon having been part of the static display. Duxford's Catalina was also there.
To quote Max Boyce "I know, because I was there". ;)

Sholto Douglas
8th Sep 2015, 18:06
DX

Thanks also for your input.

DX Wombat
8th Sep 2015, 18:39
My pleasure. It was a superb weekend at Ayr. The flying displays started with a cracking display by the Typhoon and ended with Sally B. The static display was also well worth visiting. If you are able to get to next year's event then go, you won't regret it. :ok: