PDA

View Full Version : Accessing PPRuNe via a mobile - problem

WE Branch Fanatic
5th Sep 2015, 18:05
Sometimes when I am out an about I use my trusty mobile phone (not an IPhone/Smartphone/Blackberry) to have a quick look at PPRuNe. In the last couple of weeks - I have been unable to do so. Is the URL still PPRuNe Forums - Professional Pilots Rumour Network (http://www.pprune.org) or should there be something else in there?

It starts to load, very slowly compared to what it used to do, and then stops. Other websites are fine. Have I done something wrong?

Saab Dastard
5th Sep 2015, 20:23
That's the correct URL

SD

WE Branch Fanatic
5th Sep 2015, 22:53
I only asked in case there was a special URL for mobile users - there is no such thing as a stupid question!

So it looks like a connection/speed issue - but other websites seem unaffected. Trying to look at PPRuNe simply results in a blank white screen.

proxus
6th Sep 2015, 21:44
The best app I've come across is Forum Runner (or ForumRunner). I think it is free. I've been using it on iPhone. I use it for all forums I've subscribed to and it works.

For me it is the best method to read forums on the go.

Proxus

WE Branch Fanatic
16th Sep 2015, 23:37
It seems that the site software can't decide whether to present the would-be viewer with the full internet site or the mobile site and does neither as a result. Not too long ago, it would defult to mobile be could be persuaded to go to the full site. Now it seems to load a blank page on (non Smat) phone?

So why has this recently started, and what can be done about it?

IBobi
18th Sep 2015, 02:03
I think it's an ad issue and we're working to fix it! Thank you for your patience.

Paul

wings folded
20th Sep 2015, 18:36
What patience?

I am totally irritated :\

How long will it take to fix?

WE Branch Fanatic
30th Sep 2015, 11:34
Still causing problems - away from an internet connection today so tried looking with my trusty mobile. Same as in the original post. It was fine just a few weeks ago....

IBobi
30th Sep 2015, 20:44
Can you post a screen shot of what you see instead of the PP home page?

What device and browser are you using?

WE Branch Fanatic
30th Sep 2015, 22:51
Not sure about the screenshot - it just gives me a blank white screen! I have a non smartphone - a Sony Ericsson C702.

I mainly look to see if any threads of interest to me have had any updates worth looking at when I get proper internet access.

IBobi
30th Sep 2015, 23:01
I doubt we can troubleshoot for that device.

Karearea
1st Oct 2015, 02:51
This issue is the same one I'm having very recently and mentioned in another thread.
My mobile phone (Nokia C2) isn't a smart-phone but has internet access - except with this site when I eventually get the message "failed to connect".
It used to be very convenient for a quick check, as WE Branch Fanatic says.

WE Branch Fanatic
1st Oct 2015, 16:49
Yeah - until very recently it was fine. Has the site software changed somehow?

IBobi
1st Oct 2015, 21:42
How recently?

jimjim1
2nd Oct 2015, 08:35
Have you tried Opera-Mini?

Get the right one for your phone.

If you post you exact phone model perhaps someone will help you to find the right link.

Opera-mini renders the page on a server somewhere and sends the image to your phone. Very nice for old fashioned phones and slow internet.

Karearea
3rd Oct 2015, 04:53
Opera Mini is indeed what my Nokia uses, and "fails to connect" to this site even if I conjure it up on a google-search. It's been like this for maybe the past two weeks?

WE Branch Fanatic
4th Oct 2015, 15:40
How recently?

Not entirely sure to be honest - it worked fine in late August.

Have you tried Opera-Mini?

Get the right one for your phone.

If you post you exact phone model perhaps someone will help you to find the right link.

Opera-mini renders the page on a server somewhere and sends the image to your phone. Very nice for old fashioned phones and slow internet.

I will try that. Can you find it on Google?

Sorry for the delayed reply - busy and under stress, Mum ill in hospital.

Karearea
9th Oct 2015, 22:39
I'm happy to report that I am now able to access PPRuNe on my mobile as of yore.
Oddly, I'm now unable to access another (completely unrelated) forum.
Can only conclude there are strange and wonderful things happening in the aether.

WE Branch Fanatic
14th Oct 2015, 18:16
Tried looking via mobile from the hospital car park at about 1400 today - nothing at all, not even a blank screen. Same from home a moment ago.

So how did I find Opera Mini and get it on my phone?

Sorry for the delayed reply - stressful times. Mum had a Stroke a few weeks back.

WE Branch Fanatic
2nd Nov 2015, 09:54
Downloaded Opera Mini today - the site recognised my phone model. I tested it by looking for PPRuNe and it works. Will try it at lunchtime at work tomorrow - new job!

Just a desktop/browser problem to deal with now....

BBK
2nd Nov 2015, 17:03
Hi

When I try reading pprune on my iPhone 4 I'm getting a pop up called "Game of War". Hope it's not a virus!

Any ideas anyone?

iPad is fine, no problems.

BBK

Johnny F@rt Pants
2nd Nov 2015, 19:10
I've been getting this Game of War pop up regularly over the last couple of weeks when I try to load a page, very annoying. Same as you, only seems to happen on my iPhone6.

BBK
3rd Nov 2015, 07:27
JFP

Well I'm sort of happy I'm not the only one but none the wiser. Might try asking in my local Apple shop when I get a moment.

BBK

IBobi
3rd Nov 2015, 21:14
As to the app store hijacks, we've been dealing with that for a year. Very hard to reproduce and apparently even harder to do anything about. The app and play stores make it easy for an ad to hijack your browser like that. If tech tells me they have solved it, I'll pass it along. Far as I know, then only thing for it is to reload the page.

WE Branch Fanatic
3rd Nov 2015, 21:15
Downloaded Opera Mini today - the site recognised my phone model. I tested it by looking for PPRuNe and it works. Will try it at lunchtime at work tomorrow - new job!

Just a desktop/browser problem to deal with now....

Worked at lunchtime at work too. Good call jimjim1.

IBobi
5th Nov 2015, 00:06
GOW ad should be gone now!

BBK
15th Nov 2015, 23:37
Ibobi

No it's still there!😁

IBobi
17th Nov 2015, 01:40
OK I will let ad ops know...

WE Branch Fanatic
5th Apr 2017, 08:40
Not been working in the last few weeks...... I wonder why?

PPRuNe Towers
5th Apr 2017, 10:37
Does the useful information come later?

I've got an IOS problem to pass on to the techs in the USA. It regards switching to the traditional view. Simplest caption at the bottom of the forums listing is often the quickest scroll to destination but isn't working.

Now's the time to detail your problem.

Rob

WE Branch Fanatic
10th Apr 2017, 11:28
Similar problem. Phone seems slow to load PPRuNe at all (my bad for having an old phone I guess). Should I manage to load it I then have no option to view the full site.

I am still using Opera Mini.