PDA

View Full Version : Twin ball indicators in ww ii aircraft

Fareastdriver
4th Sep 2015, 09:32
There is a discussion going on in a thread in the Military Section with regard to two sets of slip indicators (ball in a tube) in the cockpits of some types of WW II American aircraft; notably the Kittyhawk and Vengeance dive bomber.

My theory, not having experience on the types, is that the second slip indicator, mounted high up on the panel, was used as an easily seen final check that the aircraft was in balance for sighting accuracy. Some older and bolder than me are either in agreement or not convinced.

Is there any record in the test pilot's empire that has a reason for fitting a second T&S ball in a cockpit during the early 1940s?

We like to get a few things tidied up before we pop our clogs.

Genghis the Engineer
4th Sep 2015, 15:11
I don't know the answer, and have no experience of each type.

However, a quick websearch shows that the two types were both in RAF service.

That means that there should be A&AEE reports for both, scans of which are likely to be in the National Archives at Kew.

For other types of similarish vintage, I've found NA very helpful when I've wanted to look stuff up. Basically you go to their website, search the index - and if you find what you want, ask for a quote on having it scanned for you. If the price is acceptable - usually a few pounds or exceptionally tens of pounds - you just pay online, and within a few days they scan it and email you a link to download a pdf.

I don't know that the answer is there, but it seems reasonably probable.

G

ChickenHouse
24th Sep 2015, 04:07
Family history talk was all about backup, to have a second one, if one was shot. There are further rumors they also had some personal indicators in their pockets and one ball indicator frame for quick release in cockpit for the same reason.

Above The Clouds
8th Oct 2015, 21:53
The Americans did/do make whats looks like a slip indicator, however it does actually provide a lateral inclination relative to the horizon, in turning they register departure from the correct bank angle.

Maybe to answer the OP question one could be an inclination indicator and the other a slip indicator.

A similar concept to the turn indicator or a turn co-ordinator.