PDA

View Full Version : PA-28 ditching near Mentone late 80s early 90s?

Duck Pilot
3rd Sep 2015, 17:51
Anyone recall what the rego of the PA-28 was that went for a swim in Port Phillip Bay somewhere near Mentone back in the late 80s/early 90s was? I think it may have been an Arrow and it was possibly operated by TVSA at one stage, although I could be wrong. It went into the water very close to the shore and the occupiers were able to exit onto the beech. I think it may have even been recovered and rebuilt. Low profile accident appart from the media doing there usual splat at the time.

I can't find anything through Google or on the ATSB website.

Bevan666
3rd Sep 2015, 18:57
I remember this one, very early 90s. 1990 or 1991. Cant remember anything else however!

DanS333
3rd Sep 2015, 19:31
It was an arrow, I cannot remember the rego but it definitely flew again, had 'Thunderbird 4' painted on the cowling post ditching

Duck Pilot
3rd Sep 2015, 20:21
Though it may have been DWW ??? Although nothing comes up on it and having recently flown DWW, it certainly doesn't show any signs of a recent rebuild or ditching in salt water.

runway16
3rd Sep 2015, 21:49
The machine in question was VH-DWW, a PA28R-200. The ditching was on Saturday 9/1/90.
The aircraft was being flown by Instructor Glen Reid, 20, and his student Robert Ferraro, 25. The engine suffered an oil loss when a metal oil line failed. The ditching took place in 2m of water in the shallows off Beaumaris.
The machine was there overnight but later recovered by the (Moorabbin) Mills & Rolfe maintenance shop, flushed out and put back in the air.
I saw it recently at Canberra. It has an owner in the northern climes but was being operated by the Canberra Aero Club or like.
Following the ditching the aircraft became known as De Wet Wun, VH-DWW.

Duck Pilot
4th Sep 2015, 08:16
Ok, my memory is correct - though it was buggered due to the amount of p!ss I have drinking over the past 20 years 🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺

It's certainly online with the Canberra Aero Club and it's for sale. Duco is pretty rough and the engine is on condition I think, but it's a good old bus and it's IFR. They must have done a good job getting the salt water out of it after the swim, as the airframe looks ok.

Think the owner wants 50k for it which is a little rich IMHO as you would need to throw at least another 50k at it to get it back up to speed and looking good.

It flies ok.

patagonianworelaud
5th Sep 2015, 14:28
able to exit onto the beech

Musketeer?