PDA

View Full Version : Duxford - be cautious about booking tickets

darkroomsource
3rd Sep 2015, 11:32
I have read the sticky, but still don't know if this is the right place for this post.

Be cautious when booking tickets for Duxford.

This season my son and I went to several air shows, including 2 at Duxford. We bought tickets on the day both times. And we were looking forward to going to the 75th anniversary at the end of September.
So I booked tickets online, only to find in the email confirmation that I'd booked for Saturday instead of Sunday.
I immediately replied (within 10 minutes of the email being sent) asking to change to Sunday.

Their response was rather impersonal (although it was not an auto-responder) indicating that their policies are no refunds or exchanges.

I understand it was my mistake, but within 15 minutes of booking they can't make an adjustment, rather they refuse to make an adjustment.

Be cautious.

Exasperated
3rd Sep 2015, 12:01
Duxford - be cautious about booking tickets
I have read the sticky, but still don't know if this is the right place for this post.

Be cautious when booking tickets for Duxford.

This season my son and I went to several air shows, including 2 at Duxford. We bought tickets on the day both times. And we were looking forward to going to the 75th anniversary at the end of September.
So I booked tickets online, only to find in the email confirmation that I'd booked for Saturday instead of Sunday.
I immediately replied (within 10 minutes of the email being sent) asking to change to Sunday.

Their response was rather impersonal (although it was not an auto-responder) indicating that their policies are no refunds or exchanges.

I understand it was my mistake, but within 15 minutes of booking they can't make an adjustment, rather they refuse to make an adjustment.

Be cautious.

Check here for your legal entitlement.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/problem/can-i-cancel-an-online-order-

But this looks ominous

Cancelling a service contract

If you're buying a service, such as gym membership or a cleaning service, you can usually cancel up to seven working days from the day after you enter into the contract.

But there are some contracts you can’t cancel simply because you change your mind, including:

contracts for transport and some leisure services to be provided on a specific date eg hotel bookings, flights, car hire, concert and other event tickets
contracts for services where you agreed to the service starting before the seven working days has expired - as long as the seller has provided all the information detailed above

If the seller has failed to comply with the requirements to provide information, Distance Selling Regulations mean that your right to cancel doesn’t end until seven working days from the day after the seller does comply.

This is up to a maximum of three months and seven working days from when you placed your order.

Although, be aware that this doesn't apply to specific date contracts for transport services and events.

Let us know what happened

Cheers

Ex

darkroomsource
3rd Sep 2015, 12:33
This is the bit that bit me:

No right to cancel for some services

There are some contracts for services bought at a distance where you won't have a right to cancel.
For example, a theatre trip, spa day or festival ticket, to be taken on a specific date or within a specified period of time, you don't have a right to cancel.

As this is a festival ticket, there is no right to cancel.

I just feel that they are being a bit harsh when one asks to change the date from Saturday to Sunday within 15 minutes of making the booking, because one realises one put in the wrong date. It's not that one asked a week later, but within 15 minutes.

They are within their rights not to allow the change or the refund. But obviously I won't be going to Duxford for this event, and probably won't be going next year to any at Duxford either.

They didn't make friends with their policy.

TartinTon
3rd Sep 2015, 12:58
As always with these type of things it never hurts to go to the top. Diane Lees is the Director General of Imperial War Museums (of which Duxford is a part). Her email address is [email protected]. Worst she can say is no or not reply!

WHBM
3rd Sep 2015, 15:39
It does make the email confirmation a bit pointless if you can't do anything about any errors identified in it.

Did the website interpret the date to Saturday/Sunday for you. Many don't with dates and are indeed susceptible to such errors as a result. If the email did but the webpage didn't, point this out to them.

davidjohnson6
3rd Sep 2015, 16:15
Could I very gently suggest that there might be a better forum to discuss this topic and gain an informed response ? Any one of the following three forums might be more likely to attract the attention of those familiar with Duxford

Military Aviation - PPRuNe Forums (http://www.pprune.org/military-aviation-57/)
Aviation History and Nostalgia - PPRuNe Forums (http://www.pprune.org/aviation-history-nostalgia-86/)
Jet Blast - PPRuNe Forums (http://www.pprune.org/jet-blast-16/)

The Aviation History and Nostalgia forum has its own Duxford thread
http://www.pprune.org/aviation-history-nostalgia/560284-duxford.html

terrain safe
3rd Sep 2015, 21:26
Just a small point but Sunday is sold out so you can't get a ticket for that day.

darkroomsource
7th Sep 2015, 08:55
Sunday is sold out now, but it wasn't on the day, nor was it for about 5 days after the day.

I made a mistake, and they have been clear to let me know that I have no right to a refund or change.

I am just warning others to be cautious. And to not expect much in the way of sympathy or concern over just a couple of tickets.

peterhr
7th Sep 2015, 15:13
There is a difference between no right to do something and it not being done (just my 2p worth)