PDA

View Full Version : Lossie Runway

Mike Tee
3rd Sep 2015, 07:24
During a holiday caravan break in Lossiemouth last week we where disapointed to find that the main runway at RAF Lossiemouth (05/23) was not being used due to planned maintenance. Can anyone please advise as to when the main runway will become active again.
Many Thanks.

PICKS135
3rd Sep 2015, 07:46
According to Notams it will reopen 6th September allegedly

Whenurhappy
3rd Sep 2015, 08:03
Do you normally take caravan holidays on an active runway (ATC caravans not withstanding)? How odd.

Timelord
3rd Sep 2015, 10:17
Consider yourself lucky. If they had been on 05 you might have had a Typhoon for company.(See II (AC) Typhoon Off Roading thread)

Wensleydale
3rd Sep 2015, 18:34
You could always visit Fort George instead....cracking military museum and you can watch the dolphins in the Moray Firth from the walls.

7of9
3rd Sep 2015, 19:11
I got some good photos Tuesday & Wednesday this week from the short runways in use! In between the rain showers of course.
I liked the four typhoons that did the running refuels yesterday, (Wednesday) got a few photos of that.

:ok:

Akrotiri bad boy
3rd Sep 2015, 19:46
Back in the Day
I remember departing on the short runway in a Devon bound for RAF Turnhouse. I also remember a Luftwaffe Nord Noratlas using the shorty.:ok:

Shackman
3rd Sep 2015, 21:12
By shorty I presume you mean the (now disused) real short runway 01/19 of some 3000ft. We were using that on 8 Sqn for getting Shacks in and out whilst they resurfaced the main runways shortly after the change from HMS Fulmar to RAF Lossiemouth in 72/73. Now they WERE fun approaches and departures!

Mike Tee
4th Sep 2015, 05:21
Many thanks for the info PICKS135

Arfur Dent
4th Sep 2015, 05:54
Anyone remember the Moray Sea School? Went there in the mid '60's for a month of OB prior to starting flying training.
Wish I was half as fit now as I was when I left there! Cold shower every morning after a 1 mile 'wake up' run. In October/ November! Bloody freezing. Runs up and down sand dunes😖.
Dare I say - Good Fun ( after it was over.......):ok:

OldAgeandTreachery
4th Sep 2015, 08:29
7of9
When you say "Running refuels": Is that engine running refuels and if so is this a new FJ idea? I thought helicopters were the only running refuels that the RAF did routinely?

Wander00
4th Sep 2015, 08:39
Arfur now there is a memory kindled. I was on Moray Sea School Course 112, Mid Aug-Mid Sep 1961. I had knocked off Lower VIth a fortnight early for my Flying Scholarship at Sywell (on my way shortly for the LAA Rally there), had a week at home and set off to Scotland. Returned to school a fortnight into the term and felt about 3 years older than everyone else! Our course was affected by the tag end of a hurricane hat hit the west coast of Scotland so abut 2 days of our course was spent helping clear up the damage. Loved sailing the cutters and "Spewey Louis", not so much the X-country on the beach and through the forest, and the bone-shaker bikes we rode to the Cairngorms and back! I was so fit that on return after the usual Wednesday X-Country at school I nearly got selected for the school team. Fortunately an engagement with the school pipe band took priority! Happy memories - long time ago now. I recall the staff as a pretty odd bunch, led by a retired Guards major.

frodo_monkey
4th Sep 2015, 09:17
7of9
When you say "Running refuels": Is that engine running refuels and if so is this a new FJ idea? I thought helicopters were the only running refuels that the RAF did routinely?

Hotpit refuelling - gassing the jets up with one engine still running. Done every day pretty much on the Tornado force and has been for a long time.