PDA

View Full Version : A Deniliquin high?

spinex
2nd Sep 2015, 22:48
I hear the local stations are saying that a Gold Coast based aircraft was intercepted at Deniliquin with more than a little cannabis aboard. A pilot with alleged links to the Hells Angels is "assisting police with their enquiries".

Wonder whether CASA will jump in with charges for commercial operations sans AOC etc...:E Of course it also begs the question, who was it and what aircraft, I mean the media are quite capable of mixing up their coasts and a well known retard vehicle is "South of the border" this week??

spinex
2nd Sep 2015, 22:53
The official word;

https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/news/latest_releases?sq_content_src=%2BdXJsPWh0dHBzJTNBJTJGJTJGZW JpenByZC5wb2xpY2UubnN3Lmdvdi5hdSUyRm1lZGlhJTJGNDgzOTkuaHRtbC ZhbGw9MQ%3D%3D

Squawk7700
2nd Sep 2015, 22:59
Everyone knows with an aircraft like that you land in a paddock for these types of activities and not a semi-major airport ;)

Dexta
2nd Sep 2015, 23:03
Funny that it was a TL-2000 "Sting" that was caught in a sting operation:O

KRviator
2nd Sep 2015, 23:11
Of course it also begs the question, who was it and what aircraftA 2003-built TL-2000 Sting (one of only 2 on the register), according to The Courier Mail...My Google-fu shows it to be VH-SDV, registered to a company in Beenleigh.

Might be able to pickup a cheap plane if it's flogged off as proceeds-of-crime, it's got a 914 in it!

http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/a4b25a5dd8f62a912195c60e1295d8b3?width=650

Squawk7700
2nd Sep 2015, 23:47
That's impressive, I didn't realise that any of them had 914's fitted. It would go very well.

mcoates
3rd Sep 2015, 00:09
Around 145 kts cruise

Squawk7700
3rd Sep 2015, 00:30
In that case, I'll be at the Police auctions ! I'll be sure to update you all when they are on :rolleyes:

spinex
3rd Sep 2015, 01:11
Oh dear, there's a world of pain for all involved. I don't believe I know the gent apparently involved, but the aircraft is a familiar one around the SE corner of the state.

Mish A
3rd Sep 2015, 01:36
From the look at the cloud in the background did he make himself suspicious by being the only VFR aircraft flying in the vicinity or is this aircraft IFR?

Squawk7700
3rd Sep 2015, 03:01
There's a highly detailed video here with some good insight in how they arrested them:

No Cookies | dailytelegraph.com.au (http://m.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/bikie-drug-plane-carrying-45kg-of-cannabis-seized-by-police-in-deniliquin/story-fni0cx12-1227510335990)

Desert Flower
3rd Sep 2015, 03:06
A 2003-built TL-2000 Sting (one of only 2 on the register), according to The Courier Mail...My Google-fu shows it to be VH-SDV, registered to a company in Beenleigh.

According to the register SDV is a J.H. Enterprises Sting, while EOF is a TL-2000 Sting. But the photos that came up on Google of SDV sure look like the one shown here. And I'm pretty sure they said on the news this morning that the aircraft had arrived in YDLQ from YPAD. Of course, it wouldn't be the first time the media had got things wrong!

DF.

Ultralights
3rd Sep 2015, 03:38
i recall a similar story about someone flying out of lightning ridge with a similar operation, though he wasnt mining and shipping opal. using Mooneys and Bos to move his product, apparently he was doing it for decades before an engine failure became his undoing. quite genius when you think about it, nothing unusual about high energy use in a mining operation, nothing strange about locals having quite a bit of free cash and nice aircraft in mining towns. nothing above ground..

so, i take it a ute muster will be short of supplies this year..

Ascend Charlie
3rd Sep 2015, 06:34
Back in the early 90s I trained a truck driver up to PPLH standard, he then bought a Hughes 300 "to help my brother on his farm."

When I next saw him in the chopper, the cabin stank of marijuana, leaves and seeds on the cabin floor, his scaly mates looking very feral.

He subsequently did some time for smuggling cigarettes across the border without paying duty, and a bit after he got out from that one, he went back in for defrauding the commonwealth super fund out of $100 million. Start small, work your way up, the sky is the limit. But now he can't see the sky...:(

KRviator
3rd Sep 2015, 07:59
According to the register SDV is a J.H. Enterprises Sting, while EOF is a TL-2000 Sting. But the photos that came up on Google of SDV sure look like the one shown here.A little digging on Google shows that VH-SDV was previously N555KH, built in 2003 in the US, de-registered 2006. Registered as 24-4555 with RAAus in November '05, then VH-SDV from 2008.

That'd explain the "JH Enterprises Sling", as the builder is classed as the manufacturer in the US. EOF may be a factory-built model?

PA39
3rd Sep 2015, 08:21
It is now fully de iced!! :D

Bushfiva
3rd Sep 2015, 08:43
The video looks like it was shot by police, who then distribute it to the media. Is that a normal thing in Australia?

Desert Flower
3rd Sep 2015, 08:47
It is now fully de iced!!

Haha - love it!

DF.

Sunfish
3rd Sep 2015, 09:00
Pilots surname begin with C? Piper cub afficionado?

spinex
3rd Sep 2015, 09:04
No, named as John White. He is a Gold Coaster.

Arm out the window
3rd Sep 2015, 10:39
Or should that be Walter White?

Squawk7700
3rd Sep 2015, 10:41
The video looks like it was shot by police, who then distribute it to the media. Is that a normal thing in Australia?

Not normally no... We may eventually see it in court or on a Police / crime show, but certainly not as quickly as this came to light. It's pretty graphic and in your face, not normal.

Checklist Charlie
3rd Sep 2015, 10:54

Becoming more so. It would seem as though it is an attempt to massage public opinion and 'spin' the story to a prosecutions advantage. Police union spokespersons are also very good at the same thing, even before any investigation takes place.

CC

spinex
3rd Sep 2015, 11:56
I have to say that if that video was intended as pr spin, it didn't work for me; I'm normally one to cut the police some slack, having to deal with ratbags day in and day out as they do, but it seemed rather ridiculous swamping one old pensioner with a virtual swat team and then telling him (handcuffed) that if he makes a move toward them, they'll take it as a threat:hmm:

TWT
3rd Sep 2015, 12:09
They always parade pics of drugs and guns seized,especially when it showcases results of the
'operation du jour',in this case the crackdown on organised crime with bikie links.

But that video reminds me of the reception which light aircraft that land in Indonesia without proper documents get.In other words,completely OTT and unnecessary.

Draggertail
3rd Sep 2015, 12:26
SPINEX "I have to say that if that video was intended as pr spin, it didn't work for me; I'm normally one to cut the police some slack, having to deal with ratbags day in and day out as they do, but it seemed rather ridiculous swamping one old pensioner with a virtual swat team and then telling him (handcuffed) that if he makes a move toward them, they'll take it as a threat:hmm: "

There is some video missing where I suggest the old boy may have put a bit of a struggle as they were getting him down off the plane. Just because the drug runner is getting on and handcuffed does not mean he will not bite or spit. The warning is probably pretty standard and appeared to have the desired affect. The cops had to go in with overwhelming force. They did not know if the pilot was armed and probably did not know until they got close if he was alone or not.

spinex
3rd Sep 2015, 18:29
Draggertail, you may well be right, my comment related more at the wisdom of showing the video at all - I don't think too many hearts n minds were won over by that and that's coming from someone who has more than one family member serving or who has served. That aside, the haul may not be that impressive , but I wonder how long this has been going on and how many other loads are potentially involved, they certainly collared enough people across 3 states.

TBM-Legend
3rd Sep 2015, 20:05
Any drugs off the street is good news. The scumbags that are involved deserve at least a wet newspaper or sand filled sock hiding before they get a good behaviour bond in our pathetic legal system.

Who remembers Donald Tait??

Duck Pilot
3rd Sep 2015, 20:30
Very good work done by the police.

I hope they throw the book at the pilot and he does some time behind bars, AND NEVER FLIES AGAIN!

We don't need people like this in the industry.

chimbu warrior
3rd Sep 2015, 22:24
TBM I remember Donald Tait, who intentionally force-landed an Aero Commander near Tindal, and then set it alight.

It was around 1977 IIRC, and I think he was detected by sheer co-incidence when an Orion noticed him crossing the coast inbound from Thailand.

His brother Ricky Tait (RIP) was a DCA examiner at Moorabin, and a real gentleman.

Typhoon650
3rd Sep 2015, 23:51
This is how the real drug rings get their drugs, stealing it off other drug rings.
If you were smuggling drugs, why wouldn't you use something that you could open the door on in flight to jettison the gear if needed?

mcoates
4th Sep 2015, 01:57
Accredited media get this raw footage when operations like this are completed, its called a 'Hightail' link and you need to sign up for it and they send you very roughly edited footage.

The police have started doing these 'media shows' and tell the story so news channels dont make it up themselves and the stories are reported accurately, it comes across harder from the Police rather than some news reader.

As for the accused person John White, he was only a few doors down from my hanger, a customer and a really nice person on every occasion i interacted with him. You would think he was someones nice old grandpa, softly spoken, respectful and always polite and willing to lend a hand.

Give him a break until the full story comes out, he most probably is 110% guilty from the information to hand but like most modern movie plots..... they (the Hells Angels) may have his family at gunpoint demanding he fly the drugs or they get it! Today you never know.

Anyway, as a person who knew him really well from our little airport I can only wish him all the best in the days, weeks, months and probably years ahead.

mcoates
9th Sep 2015, 01:04
And now the jokes have started doing the rounds.

"He was refused bail in Deni court yesterday as the judge declared him to be a "flight" risk."

:ugh:

magnum pi
9th Sep 2015, 22:32
Around 10 or more years ago, some lads from Sydney (i think) were busted at Jandakot in an Aztec with a load of hard drugs on board.
That court case was still on going as of last year and the Aztec is still sitting on the grass at YPJT were it has been since they were busted...

Dont think its worth much any more.. Dont hold out to much hope of being able to pick up a bargain machine from these drug busts !

pi