PDA

View Full Version : Emirates looking for FO's - Aus Roadshow in Nov

training wheels
2nd Sep 2015, 05:51
It's interesting that Emirates have now lowered their minimum requirements for FO's in their latest add on the AFAP site. Now all you need is an ATPL, ICAO English Level 4 or above and some turbine time, jet or turbo prop. How would this change the landscape for turbo-prop pilots in Australia? Will there be an exodus of FO's from Qlink, VARA, Rex and other turbo-prop operators to EK, especially when there are "good prospects for upgrade to Captain"? If so, will Australian turbo-prop operators then see the need increase the Terms and Conditions for turbo-prop pilots to prevent an exodus?

AviatoR21
2nd Sep 2015, 06:27
That meaning 8-10 years as an FO? DEC will increase as they can't even upgrade their own due lack of coverage. Then there's the debate of living in the UAE. Definitely check out the ME threads. If you're that keen to fly a jet and leave Oz then consider it, just be very careful of what you stand to give up!

bazza stub
2nd Sep 2015, 08:01
Australia is a dead end as far as aviation goes and getting worse. If you can get out and see the world, and avoid getting "ausyralianised", do it. The sandpit is not the be all and end all but nowhere is, especially Oz. Good luck to those who give it a go, but even better luck to those who have to stay in Australia thinking aviation is a viable career. :ok:

Metro man
2nd Sep 2015, 08:16
So Emirates is now a similar option to Cathay for Australian pilots with only piston or turboprop time. As long as they train accordingly, perhaps joining as second officers, it could work out.

Going Nowhere
2nd Sep 2015, 08:20
EK currently don't do SO's, you'll join as a FO

DeltaT
2nd Sep 2015, 10:04
Woah!, that should cause some massive movement in the industry.

SixDemonBag
2nd Sep 2015, 10:47
DeltaT Woah!, that should cause some massive movement in the industry.

http://mrwgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Ray-Liotta-Laughing-In-Goodfellas-Gif.gif

SOPS
2nd Sep 2015, 11:57
Think very, very carefully before you commit. If you know anyone in the Pit, contact them and ask a lot of questions. ( just my opinion)

biglanchow
2nd Sep 2015, 12:06
That video is from "Good Fella"s" - yes? Awesome movie from the mid/late 90's, a must see.

I have couple of friends working in the Mid East. Yep, money is good but everything else is $hit. There is a certain reason the money is good and it appears the conditions, just like Asia during 1995-2010 are on their way backwards.

As Paul Kelly in a song 15yrs ago said . . "be careful what you pray for"

Gen Y?

Google it.

donpizmeov
2nd Sep 2015, 16:54
Bit sensitive ADFUS. Take a deep breath and then try to understand what he wrote. Believe it or not, it's not just Oztranauts like yaself they are trying to hire. But level 4 ELP ATPL holders from all over the world. Some are just a little bit special.

Metro man
2nd Sep 2015, 22:32
Back in the 1980s Cathay was THE airline for a pilot to fly for. "A" scale pay meant that a Captain from another airline joining CX as an F/O doubled his income in some cases.

Now with the pay scales moving down through the alphabet, lesser experienced pilots had to be taken on as second officers and progressed from there.

I can see the same thing happening at Emirates, with its extensive long and ultra long haul network S/Os are a perfect fit. Pay junior rates for someone to fill the seat while the expensive jockey is in the bunk. Give them a P2X rating which is useless outside of the airline. Get them trapped in Dubai after a few years as they lock onto the seniority list and find it difficult to move.

Crewing problem solved and costs reduced, it worked for CX.

HappyBandit
3rd Sep 2015, 00:52
Pilat

Well written response mate....I concur. Sure it has its appeal but as Pilat said look carefully at the T and Cs and ask yourself what will you do if you get sick of it after 5 years? If you want to come back to Oz there aren't a great number of DE positions onto the A330, 777 or A380.

Dashtrash
3rd Sep 2015, 01:13
Just to throw another option into the mix......
Perhaps they've seen enough people with 2000.1 jet hours with 2.1 years of experience who couldn't find their own rear-ends without a green/magenta line and might wish to consider maybe a 10000+hr turboprop guy who's been around aircraft for 10-15+ years.
I've flown with multi-thousand hour pilot that I wouldn't let park my car but I'd gladly put my kids in a B200 with n RFDS pilot.
Probably having trouble finding candidates but perhaps they're casting a wider net. It does reek of "management initiative" but I don't think EK will be lurking around a flying school looking for fresh ink any time soon.

Metro man
3rd Sep 2015, 03:19
I know someone who resigned from Emirates without a job to go to. He posts pictures of himself playing with his children on Facebook while he looks for another airline.

The sleep apnea and ulcers were the last straw for him, a while before that he described his life as a living hell.

ruddegar
3rd Sep 2015, 03:26
Does anyone have anything constructive to say about EK or is everyone only going to resort to unnecessary hyperbole?

I'm a long way off meeting the requirements for someone like EK but it would be nice to have someone actually state accurately the pros and cons of the airline because it seems all you hear on here is either "greatest job in the entire world and everyone who says otherwise is a whinging bludger" or "EK/Cathay/whatever other airline I have an axe to grind with is currently suffering an epidemic of suicide because of pay and conditions."

Going Nowhere
3rd Sep 2015, 03:59
Middle East - PPRuNe Forums (http://www.pprune.org/middle-east-44/)

Have a good read in there. There is some good, accurate information in there...

Fuel-Off
3rd Sep 2015, 05:04
...ah...I think ADFUS just had a nervous breakdown...or a stroke :ooh:

Fuel-Off :ok:

Chock
3rd Sep 2015, 10:45
First batch of TP guys started this week. Q400 drivers from oz.

HappyBandit
3rd Sep 2015, 10:51
First batch of TP guys started this week. Q400 drivers from oz.

Q400 drivers to emirates??? You certain??

donpizmeov
3rd Sep 2015, 16:58
Only from Sunnies. Something to do with recent EBA.

eternity
4th Sep 2015, 06:53
Chock........you said.....

"First batch of TP guys started this week. Q400 drivers from oz."

Sorry mate, Im calling bull**** on that one.

EK only dropped their requirements about 6 weeks ago.

So in the space of 6 weeks, these TP guys threw in an app, was shortlisted, offered interview dates, given an interview date, attended the 4 day selection, waited for the call that they passed, and then given a start date, and then actually started.......all in 6 weeks????

Even our machine here in Asia aint that quick.

Chock, I know this is an anonymous rumour forum, and nobody really knows who you are, but intentionally spinning porky pies is not very helpful to anyone.

Eternity.

Lookleft
4th Sep 2015, 08:31
A Jetstar F/O now with EK told me it was two weeks from submission to interview He was told EK keep a look out for LCC pilots from Oz so quite possible they are doing the same for regional pilots.

Chock
4th Sep 2015, 09:29
TP guys have been planned for awhile. My source was a friend who flew back from oz with 4 new joiners onboard, all Q400 starting a 777 course.

Fuel-Off
4th Sep 2015, 22:24
I'm calling bull**** on that too. EK don't even know what training regime the new guys with only turboprop experience will be doing yet. No resignations have occurred within Sunnies apart from a small few to CX (Something to do with the EBA? Gimme a break :rolleyes:)

Your source Chock, may in fact have been talking to Q400 drivers on leisure travel (QF staff get EK staff travel upgradable to J) and not necessarily positioning to Dubai for ground school.

Fuel-Off :ok:

atlas12
4th Sep 2015, 23:50
Hahaha chock must be the same guy that started the eastern q400 drivers going to ANA last year :rolleyes:

haughtney1
5th Sep 2015, 05:08
TP guys have been planned for awhile. My source was a friend who flew back from oz with 4 new joiners onboard, all Q400 starting a 777 course.

A quick check of the updated juniority list suggests that this is bovine derived fertiliser.