PDA

View Full Version : That time of the year again - Birdsville

Desert Flower
1st Sep 2015, 04:34
So who is going? Heard one aircraft depart YLEC a while ago for YBDV. From this end it's not like in years gone by. I can well remember my first year out there as well as some of the subsequent ones. People & cans rolling around in the gutter, & that was just on the way up! Cherokee sixes loaded to the max with fuel, pax & supplies staggering into the air while everyone on the ground held their breath in case they didn't make it. Someone always got lost, ran out of fuel, made an emergency landing somewhere other than their intended destination due to one reason or another, crashed, or all of the above. On the way back it wasn't uncommon to see someone get out sporting either an arm in a sling or on crutches. Ahhh - those were the days!

DF.

jas24zzk
1st Sep 2015, 10:02
On the way back........Your ham and salad rolls always formed part of the flight plan!

Desert Flower
1st Sep 2015, 10:14
On the way back........Your ham and salad rolls always formed part of the flight plan!

I can remember the first year I made sandwiches - people were grabbing them by the handful & there wasn't nearly enough to go around!

DF.

Tinstaafl
2nd Sep 2015, 02:32
BDV was fun. Camping under the wing, the drunks at the end of the runway holding score cards for the landings, the front end loaders & dump trucks clearing the empties from the streets...that person who never learned to land a C210, despite going up & down like a yo-yo the whole weekend doing joy flights. Leaving there with a new set of footwear I cobled together after losing a shoe (found a broken thong, made straps with some bailing twine. Later I found its mate and could toss my other shoe)

None of this stupid security fencing and the like.

jas24zzk
2nd Sep 2015, 10:23
how about tripping over tail tie downs on the way back to your tent :mad:

Pinky the pilot
3rd Sep 2015, 02:49
Landing there around 11.30am when doing the Mail Run and seeing various assorted drunks staggering around. Most were Males in their 20's.:(

Some so full it was amazing that they were still capable of standing!

Those were the days DF. How are ya BTW?

FPDO
3rd Sep 2015, 03:07
I get plenty of enquires about flying to the Races but they just don't want to pay the money to get out there!
They all seem to think it will cost a few hundred dollars!

Such a shame, if they did bite the bullet and do a charter out there they would LOVE it !

185skywagon
3rd Sep 2015, 06:02
Been a few through YBCV today. Not like it used to be, though.

ChrisJ800
3rd Sep 2015, 06:31
I reckon everyone should fly there at least once. Loved the Fred Brophy boxing tent there :D