PDA

View Full Version : Advice for becoming a pilot

doc5
31st Aug 2015, 12:28
Hi.
I really want to become a pilot and to be honest I couldn't see myself doing anything else.
I am in my final year in schooland so have to decide what to do after school. Should I go and get a degree in something first or should I just go straight into pilot training after school?
Also, would it be advantageous with regard to airline cadetships if I did my degree in something like aeronautical engineering or does it matter?

I'm just wondering if there are any loan schemed/funding options that would allow someone to go straight to flight school. I know that OAA has the bbva scheme but am I right in saying that this is only open to UK citizens. I'm Irish.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Transsonic2000
31st Aug 2015, 13:34
Hi there,

well, I'd recommend to get a degree first, before getting into aviation and preferably a non aviation related degree, to have something to fall back on in case it doesn't work out with an aviation/pilot career. As already said, a degree preferably not aviation related, since an aviation degree itself won't be an advantage nor will it "buy" you a job in the cockpit, what matters much more to the airlines is if you can safely pilot an airplane from point A to point B. Best wishes and good luck!

paco
31st Aug 2015, 18:52
Some sort of other qualification, certainly. Something you can pick up and drop off, such as carpentry, plumbing, electrician, etc. Degrees aren't that flexible.

Phil

IFPS man
31st Aug 2015, 19:27
Be medically checked out first (eyesight etc) and get your Class I...

gordonquinn
1st Sep 2015, 11:34
doc5 have you got any flying experience at the moment? have you flown before?

doc5
1st Sep 2015, 15:41
doc5 have you got any flying experience at the moment? have you flown before?

None flying but a few backseater on a Cessna 172. Im doing my leaving cert now so I don't have the time nor the money but maybe this summer I might get a few

gordonquinn
1st Sep 2015, 18:36
OK good stuff, I would really suggest you have a go yourself and if you can work it, do your PPL first, just my opinion though.

The advice above about making sure you can get the medical is spot on, check that out first.

Piltdown Man
2nd Sep 2015, 11:28
My advice would be don't get into flying. Spend your money on a career with real prospects. The system is awash with well qualified and capable hopefuls with large debts. Only when the terms and conditions drastically improve will flying again become a worthwhile career. I've had the best of the back end and will retire in a few years. I'll miss what I had but at the same time feel sorry for my former colleagues who will have to tolerate forever worsening T's & C's.

PM

striker26
2nd Sep 2015, 13:15
If you love flying, it'll be like a magnet, you'll always think about it. Unfortunately the industry isn't as secure/stable as say becoming a doctor or working at a bank. Get a degree in something other than aviation, get experience in that field, save and do the flying on the side. If one day the "side" becomes consistent enough, make the move to do it full time. Don't get fooled with the silver platters the flight schools present - make your own.

Kelly Hopper
2nd Sep 2015, 16:07
Well I would think long and hard trying to make logic out of this "career." It is barely a career at all. Be prepared to spend much of it out of work. Additionally expect to be asked (compelled) to keep throwing money at operational costs if you want to stay in a job. And what I heard today... for all your efforts you can expect a McDonalds workers wage! Really! McDonalds money for an experienced Captain!

As a pilot you are expected to show good judgement. You can start that career with the best decision you can make.... Spend your money wisely!

banjodrone
3rd Sep 2015, 11:34
I agree with what Phil said. A good skilled trade will never go out of style and will see you through harder times. Degrees may or may not get you a slightly higher starting salary but that's about the extent of it.

paco
3rd Sep 2015, 13:45
Yeah, I know a folk singer with a steady following who even has his own space in the record shops, but he is actually a carpenter. If ever an occupation was worse than aviation in that respect, that would be it :) As Tom Paxton says, if ever you feel the urge to run off and sing (or fly), nail your feet to the floor.....

Phil