PDA

View Full Version : Test pilot TV series

lonerider
16th Jun 2002, 11:05
After reading the thread about the fighter pilot TV series I thought I would post something on the Test pilot series (shown in the early 80's?) at Empire.

Does anyone know what happened to those guys; there was quite a mixture of chaps as I can remember, one was German, another was American and the rest were from either the RAF or RN.

jungly
16th Jun 2002, 16:23
There was also a kiwi and at least one aussie.
The kiwi, FLTLT Steve Moore is now a GPCAPT in the ever dwindling RNZAF.
Top chap.

BLW Skylark 4
16th Jun 2002, 23:14
I remember the series well and I do actually have it on VHS somewhere (thinks must watch this again!).

One of the 'stars' as I recall was Dave Southwood - I believe at the time he came from a Buccaneer background, but can now be found regularly flying warbirds at Duxford etc. I think Dave was also one of the first pilots to fly the restored (and sadly now grounded) ME109G 'Black Six'.

Dave, if you're reading this - love your displays, keep up the good work!

:)

PICKS135
19th Jun 2002, 05:55
Anorak on

The Players on 44/23 Course were :-

F/L Steve Moore, Cdt S. Aubert, Capt H.G. Fehl, S/L T.L. Evans, Capt R.H. Meiklejohn, Capt G. Yannai [Israeli never seen on screen] F/L C.C. Ware, F/L J.S. Ludford, F/L N.G. Coulson, Lt T. Koelzer, S/L R.J. Tydeman, F/L D.R. Southwood, Capt M. Zuliani, Lt A.J. Howden, Capt J.T. Koh, F/L S.W. Elliot, F/L P.J. Cook, Mr S.J Kuczera.

List taken from page 27 of the book that accompanied the series

Anorak off

:D

Dogstar
19th Jun 2002, 07:05
I correspond with Steve More from time to time. Any messages?

The Nr Fairy
19th Jun 2002, 13:40
Is that the Dave Southwood who's still at BDN and is gracious enough to get prints signed ?

Dogstar
20th Jun 2002, 06:03
This post prompted me to contact Steve Moore and he wondered if anyone is able to send him a video copy of the series as he does not have one.

Wycombe
20th Jun 2002, 07:58
Dogstar.....

I'm sure I have most (if not all) hidden away on VHS at home somewhere (UK VHS, so PAL format of course).

I'd be happy to donate, as I have the book aswell, especially if it's going to someone who was "in it", it was a great series.

Cheers

ex-knuck
20th Jun 2002, 09:46
Meet Steve Moore when he was CO 75 Sqn. We used to do DACT with the A4's off Willytown or off Nowra, a true gentleman.

Bright-Ling
21st Jun 2002, 05:55
Being a whipper-snapper at the time I video'd them all and watched intensely!

Highlights include the Lighting taking off and going vertical, the 1-11 max rate descent, hunter spinning etc.

Simply fantastic.

Wycombe
21st Jun 2002, 11:20
B-L,

Indeed - watched most of it again last night (as I'm in the process of arranging with dogstar to ship my copy to Steve Moore in NZ - Mrs Wycombe will be happy that there's one less aviation vid. gathering dust at chez Wycombe)

Doesn't it look dated, though (but great), with all those Bucc's, F4's and the Lightning whizzing about...laughed at the way the C130 Mk3 was described as new (well I suppose the fuselage plugs were then!), I think the dumptruck they airdropped was 30k lbs, by the way, not 30 tons as described by the narrator!

LOMCEVAK
26th Jun 2002, 22:43
A long, long, time ago......The last I heard, this is what everyone was doing:

-Serge Aubert was FAF base commander at Djbouti.
-Nick Coulson was at ARDU (RAAF test centre) but I believe has recently left the RAAF.
-Les Evans is flying Concorde with BA.
-Harry Fehl is at WTD61, Manching (GAF test centre).
-Tom Koelzer (USN), unknown.
-Jim Ludford, with BMI.
-Steve Moore, see earlier posts.
-Dave Southwood, civilian tutor at ETPS.
-Robin Tydeman, AAIB inspector and line flying with Air2000.
-Mirco Zuliani, a Colonel in ItAF.

And the rotes,
-Bob Horton with Jersey European out of Exeter.
-Al Howden flying Chinooks with the RAF.
-J T Koh, still in RSing AF and involved in flight test.
-"Mike" Meikeljohn, unknown.
-Gil Yannai, still in IAF.

Carefully arranged in alphabetical order to leave you wondering which one I am!!
:confused:

a_plane_like_this
26th Jun 2002, 23:58
Nick Coulson used to be my boss at ARDU a few years back. Nice bloke. Great sense of humour!

sycamore
27th Jun 2002, 19:23
Jim Ludford is possibly going to Fradu,or counting out his money in Leics,and riding around on his Norton( born-again greaser!)..;)

Steve Davies
29th Jun 2002, 11:25
Didn't Dave Southwood go on to Tonopah and do an exchange tour on the F-117?

Smoke and Mirrors
30th Jun 2002, 20:33
LOMCEVAK

In an attempt to guess your identity - were you ever a frequenter of 1a Bugle St, Southampton in your student days?

S&M:D