PDA

View Full Version : The Weekend Today Show

Desert Flower
28th Aug 2015, 23:30
Just finished watching the segment where they had Byron Bailey on there explaining about the effects of turbulence (among other things) on an aircraft. Right at the end he said he could tell exactly what happened with the Hawker Hunter crash in the UK because he'd flown one. Hmmm.....:rolleyes:

DF.

Altimeters
28th Aug 2015, 23:48
My thoughts EXACTLY DF! Looks like the segment may become a regular thing so we might be able to see what he has to say on the Hawker incident in the near future before the investigation is complete. :ok:

Desert Flower
28th Aug 2015, 23:57
Altimeters, apparently his new title is The Resident Aviation Expert for the Today show. Well we all know the definition of the term expert, don't we?! ;)

DF.

Squawk7700
29th Aug 2015, 00:25
Aside from a little bit of poetic licence he was quite animated and entertaining. My wife even said she liked his leather jacked complete with 4 gold bars per shoulder. Good viewing for the average punter. As for the Hunter, this guy is an ex fighter pilot with time on type so he'd certainly be knowledgable.

Capt Fathom
29th Aug 2015, 03:09
Cash for comment.

You can say what you want. No one will argue!

It's is a variety show after all! Great to have on your CV... Not!

PA39
29th Aug 2015, 05:38
An outside loop at low altitude will do it every time!!

thorn bird
29th Aug 2015, 08:07
Well is he an improvement on the other "Expert" commentator? At least this one knows what he is talking about.

Desert Flower
29th Aug 2015, 11:35
At least this one knows what he is talking about.

Are you sure about that? After listening to his theory on the MH370 crash a few weeks back I seriously doubt he does!

DF.

Compylot
29th Aug 2015, 12:01
Don't worry, methinks he is talking about the Thronomister! :eek:

Stiff Under Carriage
31st Aug 2015, 12:20
Well is he an improvement on the other "Expert" commentator? At least this one knows what he is talking about.

Haha. You serious.

Here's the MH370 thread.

http://www.pprune.org/pacific-general-aviation-questions/565526-today-show-mh370.html

This guy is a joke. So glad I missed it, as I would have thrown a chair through my TV probably if i'd seen him crap on again.

Desert Flower
31st Aug 2015, 12:30
This guy is a joke. So glad I missed it, as I would have thrown a chair through my TV probably if i'd seen him crap on again.

I thought the other resident expert who always seemed to have an opinion on things was bad, but this guy takes it to a whole new level. The words "full of it" come to mind!

DF.

TBM-Legend
31st Aug 2015, 22:15
ex-Kiwi AF Nav, ex-RAAF Vampire/Sabre/Mirage pilot, ex-name Ian....

Avturbound
30th Sep 2015, 12:09
and idiot..? a moron? because he has an opinion like most of you..? but instead of sitting behind your desks like computer warriors he is on TV. He is one of the most experienced B777 pilots in the world, and with well over the experience of most of you guy's from wide body, fighter jets to top end corporate jet on here. jealous much. :ugh:

Capt Fathom
30th Sep 2015, 12:34
Is that you Bryon ?

F.Nose
30th Sep 2015, 23:52
Knob in need of some humble pie if you ask me.

Desert Flower
2nd Oct 2015, 12:06
and idiot..? a moron? because he has an opinion like most of you..? but instead of sitting behind your desks like computer warriors he is on TV. He is one of the most experienced B777 pilots in the world, and with well over the experience of most of you guy's from wide body, fighter jets to top end corporate jet on here. jealous much.

It's his "I'm a very experienced pilot & I know what happened to MH370 & I know what caused the Harrier jet to crash" attitude that irks me as well as others here. Very few people like a know-it-all like that.

DF.

Desert Flower
2nd Oct 2015, 12:07
Knob in need of some humble pie if you ask me.

Agree 100%! :ok:

DF.

rodney rude
2nd Oct 2015, 23:06
Geez you guys are wankers. You get Geoffrey Thomas on tele expousing opinions and he's called a total ****** 'cause he's done nothing and has no credibility

You then get a guy on tele who has all sorts of experience and credibility, and guess what, he's a ****** too.

Tell me DF - are you and F.Nose the only guys who could give the public an opinion and NOT be wankers.

Team Australia at its best.

Desert Flower
3rd Oct 2015, 06:27
Tell me DF - are you and F.Nose the only guys who could give the public an opinion and NOT be wankers.

You've missed the point completely.

DF.

framer
3rd Oct 2015, 11:27
This guys alright. At least he knows what he's talking about.
What would you prefer? Someone equally knowledgeable who doesn't like the limelight and is as boring as batsh1t?

Desert Flower
3rd Oct 2015, 13:01
This guys alright. At least he knows what he's talking about.
What would you prefer? Someone equally knowledgeable who doesn't like the limelight and is as boring as batsh1t?

I would prefer someone who was a bit more humble. This guy is way to cocksure & full of himself. Just because he's flown the same sort of aircraft as some of the ones that have disappeared/crashed recently doesn't make him an expert on what happened. I have driven numerous cars over the years, but it doesn't make me an expert on what went wrong when one of the same type crashes.

DF.

F.Nose
3rd Oct 2015, 14:09
The Harrier crash was captured on film and is there for all to see. It is not to difficult for anyone with aviation knowledge or an aerobatic or military background to analyse.

It takes a special type of Pilot though to appear on TV and claim to know irrefutably what happened to MH370 whilst professing to be the most experienced B777 Pilot in the world, without divulging any information or facts. Because there are none.

Jealous?? Not in the slightest. More like embarrassed!

Lead Balloon
3rd Oct 2015, 21:54
What "Harrier" crash? :confused:

thorn bird
3rd Oct 2015, 22:00
When did he claim to be the most experienced B777 pilot is the world??
Just asking.

framer
3rd Oct 2015, 22:45
I would prefer someone who was a bit more humble.
Someone who is more humble is unlikely to put their name forward to be on a National TV segment called " This is your Captain Speaking" ( in my humble opinion)
Good on him I say. Much better than all the uninformed drivel that is normally spoken about aviation.
This guy is way to cocksure & full of himself.
By your standards? By my standards ? By the publicly agreed Australian Cocksure Standard? I'm glad he's cocksure, I imagine that part of his nature has been very beneficial to him at times.

50 50
3rd Oct 2015, 23:04
For God sake, are you lot really analysing someone's level of humility based on a TV interview? You would prefer someone just ""a bit" more humble? Not really really humble? Not extra humble? Maybe he would prefer viewers who are just "a bit" less of a twit. This thread is going nowhere and I am dumber for having read it.

Desert Flower
4th Oct 2015, 05:05
Let's just put it this way. If any pilot in the world deserves to brag it would be Sully Sullenberger - but he wouldn't demean himself.

DF.

Stanwell
4th Oct 2015, 06:01
Brings to mind that (late 70s?) song by Mac Davis...

"Oh Lord it's hard to be humble / when you're perfect in every way / Can't wait to look in the mirror / 'cos I get better lookin' each day... etc."

It's worth looking up the lyrics - Very Funny.

At least he's better than that w**ker, Geoffrey somebody-or-other.
A small mercy, I know.

50 50
4th Oct 2015, 06:05
Sully wrote a whole book. "Highest Duty"

Desert Flower
4th Oct 2015, 07:16
What "Harrier" crash?

Sorry, should have said Hunter.

DF.

Desert Flower
4th Oct 2015, 07:18
At least he's better than that w**ker, Geoffrey somebody-or-other.

He's only marginally better than someone else I could name but won't.

DF.

cogwheel
4th Oct 2015, 11:05
It is certainly a good to see someone like BB speaking on our profession without all the crap from the likes of GT and others in the media that know very little about the subjects they write about. There is an old story about fighter pilots but to do that job they need to know their stuff and the culture is to talk about it! Exactly what BB is doing. I recall flying whith him in a Westwind back in the 80's and for some reason he returned the best fuel burns in the company. His energy management skills were better than text book and obviously learnt on the MIR.
He had skills back then that most of us dream about, and he obviously did well in EK as well. We should applaud someone that stands up and talks for all of us in the public domain and not knock him for doing it. :ok:

gerry111
4th Oct 2015, 11:33
"He's only marginally better than someone else I could name but won't."

I'm guessing that particular person may have ordered fuel at a certain place and for a particular time. Then didn't turn up and couldn't be bothered telephoning beforehand.

Yes, I really hate that when a similar thing happens to me. :ok:

Desert Flower
5th Oct 2015, 04:59
I'm guessing that particular person may have ordered fuel at a certain place and for a particular time. Then didn't turn up and couldn't be bothered telephoning beforehand.

Haha yes that's the one! A friend of mine told me recently that there are two kinds of people you should never piss off in the aviation industry, engineers & refuellers. Both have long memories, you never know where they're going to turn up next, & they will carry a grudge to the grave. ;)

DF.

Pinky the pilot
5th Oct 2015, 09:20
that there are two kinds of people you should never piss off in the aviation industry, engineers & refuellers.

Yers, DF. To which I would add a third group.:ooh:

My PPL Instructor from all those years ago, (1982/3 to be exact) a certain PD always maintained that you never ever pissed off an ATC!:eek:

Oh and BTW, apropos of nothing to do with this thread; You may be interested to know that one of the old Mail Run bunch from the Air North side of things by name of AP recently gained his command on the A380:ok::ok: with a certain ME airline!

I raised several glasses of a good Froggy Bubbly to him when I learned of his achievement!

Marauder
6th Oct 2015, 03:25
Not quite Pinky, with a lot of planning you can avoid ATC,

but unless you rely on dumb luck you will Never be sure of avoiding engineers. The labels on their tool trolleys are updated weekly, they are an extremely mobile mob. Most don't buy houses, they live in Winnabegos

And refuellers had an advanced system of communication, dating back to when Pontious was a pilot, they have no need for mobile phones or saellites to spread the word. Piss one of them off, you can be black banned 1000nm away in less than an hour. There networking skills are the foundations in which Facebook was built.

The Masons are in awe of them.

And there memory is legendary.

:=

Pinky the pilot
6th Oct 2015, 05:42
No argument Marauder. No refueller or Engineer; No fly!:=

And anybody who pissed off DF had a death wish!:eek::=