PDA

View Full Version : "Home on the Plane"

Lookleft
27th Aug 2015, 08:41
For those who are concerned about journo's who know nothing about aviation, especially GA, this might bring a smile to your dial.

Home on the plane - ABC Rural (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-07/home-on-the-plane/5782534)

Stanwell
27th Aug 2015, 10:09
Excellent series of articles, Lookleft. Thanks for that.
Not a bad sort either, is she?

I suppose flying a Jab around the Broken Hill area would be a little less worrying..
I mean there's plenty of space out there to put down on when the noise stops. :E

Lookleft
27th Aug 2015, 12:43
I would imagine that the grandfather who flew B-25's was her maternal grandfather! I also thought her amazement at the lack of action on the hoax radio calls was a good illustration of aviation administration in this country.

jas24zzk
27th Aug 2015, 14:10
I mean there's plenty of space out there to put down on when the noise stops.

we all know the jab has the inane ability to stop in a fraction of its length

oops!

R755
27th Aug 2015, 14:58
Our Jabiru got a very seriously injured stockman from Border Downs (100NM NNW) to Broken Hill RFDS base. Airstrip requirements meant that RFDS aircraft could not get the job done. The ambos were expecting a PC or King Air. Much amusement!

Oh yeah. The ambos and Base Hospital staff did a first rate repair job on our man.

Jabawocky
27th Aug 2015, 22:06
Now I have joined the dots…….

I was interviewed this week by this lady, she seemed to be very well informed about aviation in the way she asked questions.

Learning to fly was one of those questions…….way to go Cherie :D

Jenna Talia
27th Aug 2015, 22:51
An impressive young lady. :ok:

Centaurus
29th Aug 2015, 12:49
An impressive young lady

I quite enjoyed her amusing style of writing. But she has made the mistake of embellishing her stories a bit too much.

Example -and remember she is talking about a Jabiru which mushes gently at the point of stall.

"Suddenly, the plane's wings start to shake violently, as if the aircraft is being rattled by the fist of God.

We're dropping, backward, the tail aimed at the earth. Like a falling cat righting itself into a paws-down attitude, the plane turns of its own desire, the nose scooping sideways and earthbound. We fall 500 feet in what seems like seconds.

I slam the engine's throttle on fast while banging the nose down, forcing air over the wings so the ultralight can ride through it like a shark through the sea. The sensation of falling is replaced by the unmistakable thrust of speed and control.

We are flying again.":eek:
............................................................ ..............

gerry111
29th Aug 2015, 14:43
Those sure are fair points, Centaurus.

(I've only had one flight in a Jabiru and I agree that the stall is benign.)

But she is a young female modern day journalist after all. And most of her readers would have no idea how G.A. aeroplanes actually fly. Does that really matter?

At least, she is giving learning to fly "a go". So I applaud her. :D

Desert Flower
29th Aug 2015, 22:57
Interesting to note that the flying postie she mentions (Elke Hanel) is now with the RFDS in YBHI.

DF.