PDA

View Full Version : Sqn Ldr (Retd.) Eric Steenson

JointShiteFighter
27th Aug 2015, 08:39
I'm posting this for those that knew him: Unfortunate news came in earlier that Sqn Ldr Steenson has passed away from a heart attack. He was a former Red Arrows team manager.

Blue skies.

Yellow Sun
27th Aug 2015, 09:14
Very sad, I knew Eric both in the RAF and later in the airline world. Never looked a likely candidate for a coronary.

YS

Wingswinger
27th Aug 2015, 09:42
Sad news. I first met him in 1970 when he was going through the Lightning OCU at Coltishall and I was a visiting UAS cadet. Met him again very recently at the CAE LGW Airbus simulator. RIP.

mcdhu
27th Aug 2015, 10:22
Indeed - very sad.
I knew him from our joining day in 1966 and worked with him at CAE LGW to the end. I guess he was around 67 - a good mate far too young to move on.
RIP Eric
mcdhu

teeteringhead
27th Aug 2015, 10:28
Sad indeed - did some Reds support flying when he was mange, and was on a totally barking Public Relations course with him - always got on well. About my age too.......:(

RIP m8.

kenfoggo
27th Aug 2015, 12:11
Met Eric a couple of times in his capacity as red ten and later we did atpl ground school together at Oxford. Splendid chap! So sorry to hear of his passing.

Sleeve Wing
27th Aug 2015, 12:32
First met Eric when he was flying the Cranfield own-design aeros aircraft in 1972.
Got to know him well when he joined bmi. Thoroughly good mate which continued after his airline retirement.
As suggested by Yellow Sun, he never appeared to be a candidate for a coronary and in fact always looked the healthiest of all of us.
**** happens.

Blue skies and fair winds., old son.

kemblejet01
27th Aug 2015, 12:34
sad news - farewell chum, KMB01

LOMCEVAK
27th Aug 2015, 12:43
I first met Eric when he was a QFI at London UAS at Abingdon and I was holding there. I then used to meet him around the display circuit when he was Red 10 and then flying the A1. A larger than life character who once met was never forgotten. A sad loss. RIP

newt
27th Aug 2015, 12:45
Sad news indeed! Went through Valley and the Lightning OCU with Eric and bumped into him many times whilst we were on Lightnings! Will raise a glass tonight old friend! Newt

Auster Fan
27th Aug 2015, 17:46
Very sad news. I only saw him a week or so ago at Old Buckenham flying a Chipmunk based there....

99 Change Hands
27th Aug 2015, 18:37
He was my instructor on low-level JPs at Finningley in '82. There was a night-stop as part of the course and we went to Edinburgh. Rather than hit the town he recommended hanging around the terminal on the off-chance of meeting hosties.

Stallspincrashburn
27th Aug 2015, 18:42
He was due to fly his Cub across to the ex-British Midland fly-in the following morning (yesterday). His absence was keenly felt and a great many glasses were raised to him last night. The Hosties will be running scared in Heaven ;)

Cheers Eric. It was great flying with you.

Reheat On
27th Aug 2015, 18:53
Ye Gods .. another good one taken early.

Knew him in primary training [after his Lighting experience] as an excellen, demanding QFI and crossed paths numerous times over the years. He was great mates with Henry Ploszek at Abingdon [when Bruce Donnelly was also a QFI on London UAS] and strangely they both went managing for RAFAT

He led a charmed life and was charming to go with it.

Ad astra mate. Life like a good trip: short but intense

VictorSR
27th Aug 2015, 18:53
Met Eric on the train to join up at Cranwell way back (1966). A great mate and always good for a laugh. What a shame

ciderman
27th Aug 2015, 19:39
Was same entry as Eric at the College of Knowledge. Will pass this on to D Sqn Mates. Anyone know funeral arrangements?

smujsmith
27th Aug 2015, 19:46
I add my condolences to the loss of a man, and pilot, I will never forget. As a member of ground crew on University Engineering Flight, Abingdon, I was fortunate in enjoying more than one flight with the then Flt Lt Steenson. The most memorable was a low level trip that had me looking up during a rather steep turn to see a Jaguar cross above. Thanks for the flying experience sir, I'm sure I'm not the only ground crew that have fond reminiscences. Respects to family members.

Smudge

Bill Macgillivray
27th Aug 2015, 21:30
Another great loss, far before his time! i knew him on the V-force and later. An excellent pilot and a great character, now to be sadly missed by many!
Bill.

Tinribs
28th Aug 2015, 19:12
I knew Eric at BMI, good bloke.
Why him when others less worthy keep staying on?

Jetset 88
31st Aug 2015, 12:51
I first met Eric when I arrived at London UAS as a QFI in late 1976. We shared an office there for a while and many good times together in London and at Abingdon, for the next three years. He was always one to attempt to lead others astray in the nicest possible way. We always assumed that his love for aeros and formnation flying was because he was born upside-down and so it was no surprise that after he left ULAS he went to be the Reds Manager. I did hear that he'd joined bmi after leaving the RAF but we had lost contact with each other by then.
For any relatives reading this I send my sympathies and condolences.
RIP Eric

Yarpy
1st Sep 2015, 20:07
Eric did some of my command training at Midland. Nice bloke and gave me some very helpful advice. I think life was a breeze for him. Lucky chap and RIP.

GeeRam
1st Sep 2015, 20:07
I seem to recall reading in a book that ES experienced a belly tank/runway interface issue during a Lightning stream take-off at Wattisham......and it was a well known current Brunty LPG 'taxi-driver' that was next in the stream and flew through the resultant conflagration....

N1210F1
2nd Sep 2015, 14:18
I have had a telephone conversation this afternoon with Pamela, Eric's wife who has asked me to let the "aviation community" know the arrangements for Eric's funeral:

Tuesday September 15 1530 Amersham Crematorium

and then afterwards at The Plough, Winchmore Hill, Amersham

All ex-colleagues and friends are welcome.

TripleC
2nd Sep 2015, 14:35
Same entry as Eric at Sleaford tech. Thoroughly nice guy, full of character. Can't make the funeral, I live in Yorkshire, but my thoughts are with you all.

Wander00
2nd Sep 2015, 15:20
Not an inappropriate date....only met Eric once but an impressive guy, and heard a lot about him when I was Red Arrows Trust trustee.

"Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth". RiP

cjames.dsfrs
2nd Sep 2015, 20:47
my great uncle was one of the most insperational people i ever had the chance to meet. not many people can say to their children their family that one of there family members were and flew wit the red arrows. i every year see at least one display where i live in devon and am so proud everytime i see the red white and blue planes fly across our skies.
i looked up to my uncle in so many ways cause he was a truey amazing person and will be sorley missed by all his family and freinds i love him dearly and so proud to have knwn him and be part of this family. Rest In Peace Sir And Blue skies you will be truley missed.

Carl

JointShiteFighter
3rd Sep 2015, 07:37
Carl, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. :-( My sincerest condolences to your family.

9 minutes to landing
8th Sep 2015, 09:31
I remember nightstopping with Eric in Brussels many years ago. There had been a dispute about the hotel's transport arrangements, the receptionist was not aware of the hotel policy, so Eric marched outside the hotel, lifted up the huge and heavy chalk board in the car-park and brought it back to reception to show the receptionist - it was all very 'John Cleese' and completely hilarious.

A truly great character who I always enjoyed spending time with. Professional and with a great sense of humour.

A great loss - taken too early. RIP dear friend.

fincastle84
12th Sep 2015, 09:50
Eric was the entry ahead of me at Cranwell. He was always very approachable & with a great sense of humour. RIP.

MSt1979
16th Sep 2015, 22:04
Hi all,
Many thanks for the kind words and sharing your fond memories.
Thank you also to everyone who came to Dad's funeral yesterday, it was a great send off and he would have absolutely loved it!
He will be sorely missed and fondly remembered.
Mark.

sippy
8th May 2017, 10:13
I met Eric Steenson in 1978 during my first night at ULAS THQ as a new UC. I was told by the CFI (Dave Drew) to introduce myself to him as he would be my QFI. I felt terrified after seeing him standing holding court with numerous third-year students. However, I did approach, he stopped talking to the others and went off to buy me a drink, returning to engage me in conversation and making me feel I was the most important student pilot in ULAS. Looking back now I realise that it was an example of good manners, inspiration and leadership. Qualities that Eric was know to possess, a sad loss indeed.