PDA

View Full Version : Leadership

FlexibleResponse
26th Aug 2015, 14:20
Does this highlight a vacuum in a Company that we know?

Leadership lessons from Australia's top military commander - 26/08/2015 (http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2015/s4300778.htm)

Shep69
26th Aug 2015, 16:51
Leaders are someone you are privileged to work with and for, and for whom would go to Hell and back to support. You WANT to go the extra mile for them.

They may not always tell you everything, but they will always tell you the truth.

Their word is their bond.

They don't strive for, or need to be liked. But they treat people who work for them well. Their actions speak for themselves. For this they are often liked, and always respected.

Their intergity is unquestionable.

They do what they say they are going to do.

They won't necessarily tell you what you want to hear, but will be forthright and tell you what you NEED to hear.

They are people you can count on.

They are sometimes intolerant of faults, but they also know the value of a person's character.

They are sometimes demanding, but they bring out the best in people. They make a person WANT to strive for excellence. They bring out the best in the people who work for them.

They usually don't have to tell someone when they screw up. But will do so justly when needed.

They don't need to coerce; they only have to say "I need you to do this."

They follow the same standards they expect of others.

THey don't necessarily need to be fair, but they do need to be just.

When THEY fail or make a mistake, they admit it freely.

They sometimes reject adivce, but they do listen and are decisive.

They are honorable people.

Average Fool
26th Aug 2015, 17:31
HA HA HA HA!!!!

That was hilarious!

I believe several of those words have been banned by CX, although there are a select few who chose to ignore the ban and provide true leadership.

Including, but not limited to:

mistake
listen
decisive
honorable
fair
standards
best
count on
forthright
integrity
respected
truth

Arfur Dent
26th Aug 2015, 18:52
Read John Warham's second book if you want to know what absolutely heartless, dishonourable people 'lead' you. All of them are willing to completely screw you over. Never doubt that. Utterly shocking reading. Looking forward to the 'French Episode'. About time time somebody was called to account. To say nothing of fuel hedging.
Apart from that - all's well!!!

LongTimeInCX
26th Aug 2015, 22:24
Shep69 - spot on

In a previous life in the military, I was fortunate to have had excellent examples set to me by not only my peers, but by the senior officers who dictated when I would jump and how high. Almost all were people you could trust and rely upon to do the right thing.

I was so sadly disillusioned on joining the civil world, when those same qualities I had taken for granted, with the exception of Mike Hardy, were very seldom seen or practiced.

I genuinely hope the small number of our managers who try to follow those principle of good leadership continue to push through and lead by example.

Captain Dart
26th Aug 2015, 22:54
'Leadership'...in an airline...especially this one? Bwaa ha ha ha!

It's capitalism and management, MBA-style. You are not working for a charity, your old military squadron or a small family business. You are a carbon-based production unit on a rolling three-month contract, which you fulfil. There is no incentive to do any more or any less.

What passes for 'leadership' is largely irrelevant.

OneBarWonder
26th Aug 2015, 23:46
Swire should try recruiting its managers from Sandhurst, Cranwell or Dartmouth instead of Oxford and Cambridge.
Then again, graduates from those institutions would probably have too much integrity for the Swire management model.

Max Reheat
27th Aug 2015, 00:23
Agree entirely with everything that's been written so far.

Don't forget; however, PH was a product of Sandhurst and he was a fruit-cake!

Yonosoy Marinero
27th Aug 2015, 02:57
What the fudge are you guys on about?

The CatPac isn't interested in leadership, all they're interested in is control and money.

You really only lead leadership when you have little leverage over your employees.

Pucka
27th Aug 2015, 06:00
who would go over the top for a bunch of bloody clowns...?

kenfoggo
27th Aug 2015, 09:07
Pucka, oui! Mais ou sont les Spud Murphys d'antan?

Pucka
27th Aug 2015, 09:26
D'accord les Spud est Monsieur Sutch est tous les management de Brittanique..mais..Cx....Mouchon!!!..salut la Revolution!!!

Freehills
27th Aug 2015, 09:45
Military leadership =/= business leadership. Especially these days.

Both Bezos at Amazon, and Jobs at Apple are/ were complete arseholes to work for.

Getting people to risk their lives for King & Country is rather different to designing watches, or grinding absolutely the last ounce of productivity from warehouse operators (read up on Amazon's warehouses, and both companies show zero integrity when it comes to using tax loopholes)

As Captain Dart says, welcome to capitalism.