PDA

View Full Version : GoJak to Position Aircraft in Hangar

rjtjrt
26th Aug 2015, 11:47
Anyone have any experience of using a GoJak or equivalent to move/position an aircraft in a hangar (eg to give more space for other aircraft to fit in hangar)?
Also, which model GoJak? There is a model aimed at aircraft use (GoJak 4100 -
GoJak 4100 Angled Ratchet Lever Jack Dolly - light aircraft dolly - Zendex Tool Corporation (http://www.zendextool.com/gojak/gojak-4100.html) ).
Is a specific aircraft model needed, or can you use tye car oriented GoJak 4500?

peterc005
26th Aug 2015, 12:18
Car Gojacks might be too big for plane wheels. Also, the plane tyres may not be wide enough to keep the Gojacks in place.

jas24zzk
26th Aug 2015, 13:28
I use gojacks in my Panel Beating business.
I've used them in other shops when i was on wages, and what i can tell you, is that the ratchet variety are RUBBISH!

I have a pair of cheapo chongese hydraulic type, and they are just great!.

I'm pretty sure they would close enough to pick up a warrior main, but i doubt very much they would do the small nosewheel equipped ones. I also doubt they would do wheels on warriors/cessna's equipped with spats.

It would be possible to design and make a plate you roll the a/c onto then have the gojack slide under the plate and pick the aeroplane up, but with spats on, the issue then becomes the kick on the plate to stop the aeroplane rolling off.

Its an engineering, thing, can be made to work.

Old Akro
28th Aug 2015, 04:34
The original US made ratchet ones are clearly the best. Look up and down any V8 Supercar pit lane and it's all you will see.

The cheap hydraulic ones are of very limited use.

Gojak was unavailable for anymore if years after its developer died, but I thi k they may be available again.

GoJak make a model for either aircraft or go karts or something with small wheels that may be suitable.

I tried make a set of the hydraulic ones work and when they get the aircraft off the ground it's fantastic. To get the hydraulic ones to sort of work I modified them so the rollers came closer together and increased the diameter of the rollers. On our Seneca, it just gets it off - sometimes.

There are 3 problems:
1. The rollers are too high off the ground, so they grip the tyres in the wrong part if the arc.
2. The rollers tend to squash the tires rather than lift them. This may be in kRt because aircraft tyres are softer / lighter.
3. The rollers don't move close enough together to lift small diameter wheels.

There is a model that uses wedge looking devices on the gojak rollers. Thus may be what is needed.
Let me know how you get on. a lighter aircraft than our Seneca would be easier.

criticalmass
28th Aug 2015, 10:17
Some ultralight/microlight owners in Wollongong are using the hydraulic vehicle-positioning jacks for moving their aircraft in and out of, and around, the hangars in Wollongong. Apparently they work quite well. All I know is they are not using the Kinchrome brand jacks, which are a bit expensive, but something virtually identical.

jas24zzk
28th Aug 2015, 10:41
The hydraulics are more user friendly than the ratchet type. Especially when lowering.
The ratchets are much faster when being raised. but most are very cumbersome on the lowering.

As for the V8 Supercar teams prefering the ratchet type, the reasons are simple. The speed it lifts allows them to clear the Pit Lane rapidly. The difficulties in lowering the car do not exist for them, as once the car is in the garage they simply connect the air, and the onboard jacks lift the car clear of the gojack.

Try this link.....

GoJak 4100 Angled Ratchet Lever Jack Dolly - light aircraft dolly - Zendex Tool Corporation (http://www.zendextool.com/gojak/gojak-4100.html)

OZBUSDRIVER
29th Aug 2015, 00:37
Why?

I would a hazard a guess using gojacks you would end up with the exact same configuration as the conventional way. Careful where you push if you are going full broadside in.

peterc005
29th Aug 2015, 09:09
Those aircraft Gojacks look great, but USD 450 a side is a bit over the top.

jas24zzk
29th Aug 2015, 10:50
Why what Oz?

You are partly correct, the careful where you push remains, the same is for motor cars.

Its not quite the same as the conventional way, as it allows you to travel sideways, or at any other funny angle you can dream up, without going backwards and forwards backwards and forwards.............

The ability to pack a hangar/workshop quickly and efficiently is worth every dime.

Gojaks give you unparralelled manouverability

(sorry just forgot how to use the F7 key)

jas24zzk
29th Aug 2015, 10:56
Those aircraft Gojacks look great, but USD 450 a side is a bit over the top.

Ok then mate, take the design to someone that could scratchbuild you a set equal or better, and let us all know of your cheaper quote...my workshop could use at least another 3 pairs.
Take a good hard look at all the parts. Factor in the average engineering workshops hourly rate of 100 per + the Great Stumpy Turd and get us a price that beats it.

Over the top you say???

It took me a long time to learn in my own business...fortunatley I have learnt just in time.

IF THAT IS WHAT YOU WANT, THIS IS THE PRICE. Sure i can do it for less, but it won't be what you want. TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT!

OZBUSDRIVER
30th Aug 2015, 03:14
Jaz24zzk, it is a bloody long time ago since I used to do "The Hangar Run" for my aeroclub. However, while you are mucking about getting the wheels jacked up...all three wheels....isn't that an engineering maintenance operation?....I would have had the aircraft secured and would be walking out to the next one.