PDA

View Full Version : Experimentals and Africa

groatse
23rd Aug 2015, 20:30
Hi all, first post here. Long time lurker though.

Just wondering if anyone in here has flown with experimental registered planes in southern and eastern Africa.

Specifically if someone has registered their plane as an experimental outside of Africa (Australia and Europe registered planes are what I have access to) and has flown with one there. I know some folks have done round the world trips with experimentals but I can't find any particulars about the specific countries I want to fly to. I know EASA for example restricts non-EASA experimentals in its airspace to a time limit (think it's 27 days or something like that) and I was wondering if it's the same in Africa.

If anyone has an idea of the regulation in specific countries towards foreign experimentals, would be absolutely fantastic to know. I'm looking at flying into the following:
Botswana
South Africa
Zimbabwe
Uganda
Malawi
Tanzania
Kenya
Mozambique
Ethiopia
Zambia

Just thought I'd ask here first before contacting the individual civil aviation authorities, and hopefully spread the knowledge if someone else has been wondering these things.

Foxcotte
24th Aug 2015, 10:51
I think most of the countries you list will pop a circuit breaker when you arrive. Anything out of the ordinary will seriously confuse them. A lot of local CAAs depend on ICAO and EASA regulations so make sure you have crossed all your t's and dotted your i's with these regulatory bodies before opening a can of worms you won't be able to close.

Application of their own regulations is likely to be bureaucratic, pendantic, paper heavy and a serious threat to your sanity. They will probably want to verify the manufacturer's premises, make an expensive trip to personally check out the suppliers, or pigeon hole your machine in UAV or something else odd. There are a few homebuilts in East Africa which will help smooth your way, but be ready for a lot of difficult questions and maddening illogical answers.

For Kenya, you can download their regulations off the KCAA website - which might start off the process of trying to understand what they will need, and how they will think. I don't think there is a huge amount on experimentals/home builts though. Good luck

maxrated
25th Aug 2015, 20:40
Groatse,

Loads of South African owners of LSA/Experimental aircraft fly their planes all over Africa.

I think it is only Zambia that has a problem with Non Type Certified aircraft.

You should direct this question to the South African aviation forum AvCom - Your Aviation Community (http://www.avcom.co.za) , there will be hundreds of helpful people who will give you good advice on that forum.

If you could be more specific about your route and destination that would help as well.

Most African countries do require an overflight or landing clearance, a general rule of thumb is that if they have granted the clearance, (there are company's that will do all the clearances for you for a fee) they are accepting the aircraft, normally certified or non type certified.

Good luck.

Max.

whiskeyflyer
28th Aug 2015, 14:28
The guys manufacturing the Sling here in South Africa are always crossing Africa and the world with their ZU aircraft (non type certified is the term here as opposed to experimental). Further info on Home - The Airplane Factory (http://www.airplanefactory.co.za) and check out the expeditions section for reality of flying across Africa. They have flown around the world in the Sling and next trip is to Taiwan, so if serious give them a shout. I have only gone as far as Botswana but no issues.

groatse
8th Sep 2015, 08:52
Thanks for the replies guys, you have sparked my hopes!

As for the info Max:
I work in anti-poaching, and my job requires me to go back and forth around Africa to different countries. Me and my colleague thought it would be a really good idea to use a plane for that purpose - most of the locations are very remote and I happen to be a GA pilot with an EASA license (prolly have an Aussie license soon too, if I get the conversion).

We searched high and low for a suitable plane and not many actually exist - the best STOL capability with the specs we need we could only find in experimental/non-type certified aircraft, or heavily modded production aircraft. The problem with production aircraft is that after modding they reach astronomical prices we can't really justify the cost to our employer. Anyways, long story short we were dead set on an experimental until recently I ran into a friend who was of the opinion that there is no way you can get an EASA or CASA registered experimental to get clearances in Africa.

I've contacted several African aviation authorities (or rather, tried to), but they don't seem to read their emails. I guess I better call.

Anyway, thanks again guys, much appreciated!

latetonite
10th Sep 2015, 04:30
Even under normal ops many flying in Africa is done experimental.

ATC Watcher
15th Sep 2015, 10:33
goatse, reading your job description,and what you want to do with the aircraft , I would not use an experimental aircraft for that.
An old STOL 2 seater with a old continental engine converted to Mogas is what you should be looking at. or an Ultra light. But you won't be able to fly an ultra light in most days past noon and in strong winds/turbulence.
An Old certified STOL is expensive : yes, but you do not want to be in a cheap light aircraft in front a of CB in there.

last advice (if you have not so already ) : Do not decide which aircraft to buy in an office. Go there first and discuss with some local bush pilots and mechanics in a few airfields around .

indaloamman
16th Sep 2015, 18:28
I went through a similar calculus and ended up building an experimental and importing it into DRC. Even with a mogas STC you technically can't do much beyond fly your airplane and change the oil if you are not an A&P. And hey, just because it's mogas does not mean it is mogas in Africa--watch those octane numbers! My Rotax 912UL hums along fine and I can maintain it myself.

I know that there are experimentals in many of the countries you list--Zim and TZ and KE for sure, and DRC just loosened up (a little).

The biggest issue I faced with getting my Zenith CH701STOL in the air was actually finding insurance. For E Africa you will find policies that cover many countries, nice. Also, you may find that some countries require an HF radio, a hassle but it can be done. And keep in mind that you will never have a full picture of fees until you actually show up.

Good luck!