PDA

View Full Version : Weather in California.

Th3Grung3
22nd Aug 2015, 02:14
hey guys,

I'm in a fix I'm currently in Texas pursuing my cpl but the weather here is bad it's been four months and I still have received my license. Close to two months have been lost to weather and folks here say that it could snow in the winters. I can't afford to lose time and I hope to rap things up by December. So coming to the point, I would like to know how the weather pans out in the state of California and if possible recommend a good school.

MarkerInbound
22nd Aug 2015, 13:59
You don't say what part of Texas but if they are talking about snow you're not down south. It had not rained in the Dallas area for 40+ days until this week. What have you been doing?

highlandpark
23rd Aug 2015, 01:11
Normally I would say that California has some of the best flying weather in the country.

However, this year there are SO MANY wild fires/forest fires I would be very careful.

Flying on the pacific coast would be good, but summertime there can be what is called, "a marine layer" which is fog and can delay things.

What part of California are you willing to go to? The interior I would stay away from right now. I would look at Paso Robles, south to the coast down to Camarillo.

Th3Grung3
23rd Aug 2015, 19:07
Arlington tx. Pilots in my school said it did snow last year and things were at a stand still. I've got close to 60 hours but when it comes to my solo and solo cross country my school doesn't permit me to fly in winds above 5knots citing insurance issues. The month of May was wash out due to heavy rains and this month the forecast doesn't look promising at all. Even if it is sunny the winds seem to be strong for my solo.

Th3Grung3
23rd Aug 2015, 19:10
Yes I'm good with the computer but that's the reason I've chosen to fly in Texas in the first place. I've looked at the data and found the weather in this state favorable. But this doesn't seem to be the case....

MarkerInbound
24th Aug 2015, 04:08
If they can't train you to fly in a 6 knot wind it probably is time to move on. I really don't know how they could ever train anyone with that limitation.

Tinstaafl
24th Aug 2015, 04:25
Insurance issue for >5kt wind? What a crock. I'd say more like incompetent instructor issue. They're not doing you any favours limiting you to just 5kts of wind. Jeez, I've sent people 1st solo in that!

Anyway, even in summer it's possible to find good flying weather in the subtropics. Be at the airport in time to start engines at dawn. Not 0700, 0800 & the like but engine running at 1st light.

zondaracer
24th Aug 2015, 04:30
The insurance company at the school where I instructed limited student solos to 15 knot winds, 8 knot crosswinds.

flyboyike
25th Aug 2015, 15:45
Something is not adding up here...

Geosync
27th Aug 2015, 18:19
Well if you must leave Texas, try American Flyers in Santa Monica(they have a Dallas location too), or maybe ATP in Hayward or Sacramento. They'll get you done fast, and then it's up to you to build hours and experience.

Hayward is near San Francisco, in the summer there is a light fog layer that burns off every day pretty early. Santa Monica is sort of the same way, but you'll squinting through the L.A. smog. Sacramento is in the Central Valley and it's hot like Texas in the summer, sometimes dense fog in the winter.

Astra driver
27th Aug 2015, 18:23
I agree with Flyboy;
60 hours and no solo or solo X country yet? 5 knot wind restrictions?
I've never heard of anything like this. It could be that the flight school is stringing you along to get more money out of you.

As for weather in Southern California, a student can probably fly 90% of the time here. The exception being at airports near the coastline such as Santa Monica, where early morning and late afternoon low clouds can interfere, especially in May and June. That being said when I used to instruct there I think I was able to get my students flying 80% of the time.

Suggest you look at schools in Van Nuys, Chino, Riverside, Montgomery field.

neilki
1st Sep 2015, 21:13
I suggest a brief trip to another school, either at your home airport or another, flying with a senior/experienced CFI for a 'stage check'. Get another, unbiased opinion on your competence and then decide if you want to make a major move. Sadly, sometimes an instructor or school and a student don't click.
PM me if you'd like.
best
neilki