PDA

View Full Version : Converting Music Files

gehenna
19th Aug 2015, 21:28
i am trying to copy music from CD's onto a USB. I have ripped the music onto my PC, but when I sync it to a USB, I cannot hear anything! Not being an expert by far, I suspect that the output format from PC to USB is wrong. I have tried to find the output format, but am unable to do so.

This is through Windows Media Player.

Any help or advice (in simple terms, please!) would be appreciated.

Thanks

OzBob
20th Aug 2015, 07:01
I have found Format Factory a good application for converting audio and video formats for different needs. Also, its a free download and worth trying.
Format Factory - Free media file format converter (http://www.pcfreetime.com/)

Capn Bloggs
20th Aug 2015, 10:21
Are you sure you're "ripping" the CD? Your use of the term "sync" has me worried!

You should be using the "Rip CD" button after you've set the rip settings (next button along). Set the folder for the ripped songs (More options) as well as the format eg MP3 and the Audio quality eg 192 (good for general use).

You could probably even set the rip folder onto your USB stick.

Come back if you need more help.

http://s26.postimg.org/dq2b8qqfd/WMP_Ripping.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

vulcanised
20th Aug 2015, 11:26
Another :ok: for Format Factory.

Stuart Sutcliffe
20th Aug 2015, 11:57
gehenna, as pointed out by Capn Bloggs, what files have you actually "ripped' to your PC? Can you see as many files on your PC as there are tracks on your CD? If your CD had 12 tracks, can you see 12 individual files, their names usually being the names of the individual tracks and hopefully each ending with the suffix '.mp3', on your PC?

Furthermore, you state "but when I sync it to a USB, I cannot hear anything!" Sync? Why not just copy the files (assuming they are appropriately ripped and useable by a music player ...) to the USB (stick?) like you might copy any other sort of file (photo, document, etc) from one folder to another? If you are not an expert, as you say, it usually pays to keep the processes simple.

gehenna
20th Aug 2015, 23:28
Thank you all for your replies.

After your advice I have looked closer at Windows Media Player, and found that after 'Ripping' there are the same number of files as tracks on the CD. I have been able to transfer these files onto the USB stick, but when I try to play them on my Hi-Fi, there is no sound! Still not sure where I am going wrong.

Any further advice would, again, be welcome.

Capn Bloggs
20th Aug 2015, 23:53
I have been able to transfer these files onto the USB stick
Tell us what one of the filenames is, particularly the extension eg MP3, CDA. If the file extension isn't visible, right-click on the file then choose Properties and get the file name and extension that way.

gehenna
21st Aug 2015, 08:51
Thanks for your reply. The file appears to be MP3, so I am still confused!

henry_crun
21st Aug 2015, 09:17
Somewhere on the way into wmp there is an option to add play protection or not. You need to tick the 'no protection' box and then tick a box saying it is for your own use.

Jhieminga
14th Sep 2015, 18:23
On what sort of Hi-Fi system are you trying to play the files? After copying them to the USB stick you could first try to play them on your computer (or a different computer) but from the USB stick, this will confirm that the ripping and copying bit was successfull.

If the files from the USB stick are playable on a computer, then I would suspect that your Hi-Fi system doesn't support the specific file type that has been generated. Within the MP3 file format there are several settings that could still cause trouble.