PDA

View Full Version : Europilot Selection Day

DEXY
26th Jul 2001, 10:16
Just wondering if anyone else is attending the EPST 'Europilot' selection day on Aug 1st in Milton Keynes. It is the first phase of the selection process and is called the 'Compass Test', and up until now they have been pretty quiet about what that involves.

Has anybody else completed the 'Compass Test'? And do you have any comments about what it involves?? I've done the BA aptitude tests at Cranebank, and wonder if it is in any way similar... (I got rejected before final board by the way!!)

Any advice would be much appreciated..

Capt.Biggles
26th Jul 2001, 20:25
I'm off to the compass test on the 1st of August as well. I don't know what involved or what the EPST are like, but there must be alot of people trying for it. I gotr my call today and they've offered me the choice of either Wednesday or Thustday.

If any one else has more indepth knowledge, I too would be very keen to hear about it.

CB :p

Eggboy
27th Jul 2001, 02:17
See you guys there on the 1st. This is obviously a new venture for EPST in the UK but I was hoping those who have benefitted from the scheme in Europe maybe able to provide us with some feedback. I assume they will employ similar testing procedures to those utilised by BA, psychometrics and numerical/verbal/spatial plus hand-eye co-ordination. Any help appreciated! Good luck to everyone for Wednesday ;)

Trader7272
27th Jul 2001, 16:20
I'm another guinea pig! Can't tell you what the COMPASS tests will be like on the 1st August ( :confused: ) but I'm due at 1100, how about you guys?

I understand the tests are valid for 3 years, so somebody somewhere must have done them before!

Capt.Biggles
27th Jul 2001, 16:59
Sorry, but no time to write long reply now. Will write later with what they told me this morning on the phone.

CB

Jet-Black
27th Jul 2001, 21:08
:) Look Forward to Finding out Myself :)

[ 27 July 2001: Message edited by: Jet-Black ]

Eggboy
27th Jul 2001, 22:03
Turning and burning at 1500 on the 1st, Exchange House. Does anyone know when successful applicants start the course, and how they decide who goes to WMU and who to Jerez? ;)

Capt.Biggles
27th Jul 2001, 22:15
Having spoken to the boss at EPST earlier this morning, I found out some interesting points that you should all know about.

Phase one (they like phases) is the compass test. This is simply a hand/eye coordination test on either wed/thurs next week. For those who pass that test there is then a full days interviews and testing (phase two naturally) on the day following the compass test you sat. Then on Sat next week, there is a simulator test for all who have passed the previous 2 phases. Then those that have passed all three tests will be offered the places. There are unlimited places, for all that pass, or no places if none pass. Keeping up? (Pass rate in Holland is about 10-12%)

Then you take out a loan of $88,000 from a dutch bank. You will pay approx 8% for the first two years, then you have to re-negotiate for a further 15 years upon completion of the course. I'm informed that this is typically 5 - 6%. The only plus side of this, is if you are dropped from the course, or cannot keep up, you are not liable for the repayment of the loan, even upto the last week.

You'll be training along side 7 other EPST students and 8 BA students plus maybe 2 - 4 self funders. At some point EPST will select the best of the best to transfer to the BA system. The rest will continue and should get 6 months placement with an airline which may or maynot be extended for another 2 years.

Now back to the bad news.

Phase 1 £40
Phase 2 £250
Phase 3 £300

Total = £590 without definite placement.

I'm currently doing the ppl, and will have finished before 12th Sept. (course start date). This will count for little if anything at all as it is an integrated course. Even the amount I would have to borrow would stay the same.

Conclusion: Thanks but no-thanks EPST. Too much money, and too many variables out of my control. Modular even at Oxford is about 10 grand less than this!

CB

skysoarer
28th Jul 2001, 15:05
Biggles, I do think you're being a little unfair - valid points through don't get me wrong; this scheme does have a price tag.

Here is an extract from a message I posted a few months back regarding EPST. For a scheme that involves such a large loan, I do think that they have made it as reasonable as can be. Ok the tests are a little steep but you'll prove to yourself that you can do it if you get through them - plus if you're serious about training people will pay hence those who have posted here and are going to the tests.

If you're going to self-fund, personally I'd rather go the extra mile and stick with a system that is pretty likely to get you a good job at the end of it. I know of one person I know well who self-funded independantly, and he had to wait a good while before he got a job simply because of bad luck! Of course there is the costs of keeping current in that time... :(

--------------------------

To summerise, I enclose part of a reply I received from the MD of EPST. It details "the four (4) basic outcomes which can result of this scheme:
1. Student is successful with the BA's SSP selection after the training and go to BA.
2. Student is not selected or recommended for BA and is successful with the ATP Scheme and is placed via CTC.

3. Student fails during training and the cost is covered by contingency fund.

4. Student has not failed but has no job either by BA or ATP Scheme two years after completion and the contingency fund will pay also.

So what is the risk?"

The only one I see is if you fail the course due to Grosse Misconduct, in which case the contingency fund does not cover you. I'd still rather have a degree on my back through...

---------------------------

Please do a search for keyword "skysoarer" and you'll find various posts including the first EPST thread called "Self funding? Take a look..." . Give them a once over and you'll know most things about EPST.

Best regards

Graeme Scott
[email protected]

WAIF-er
31st Jul 2001, 21:36
Capt Biggles,

For someone who oozes confidence (quote) "currently doing the ppl, and will have finished before 12th Sept." your uncertainty about doing the EPST scheme puzzles me.

I will be there tomorrow for the testing and will be well and truly putting my money where my mouth is. I believe that once I get "that lucky break" into a commercial job, I will have no problems in securing a contract with an airline - even if it isnt the same airline that I started life with.

My belief is that if you believe in yourself and you have previous test results to prove this etc... then why not go for EPST. Financially, all airlines recoup their training costs one way or another.

See you at FL390.

Trader7272
2nd Aug 2001, 11:59
Having sat the COMPASS test which is really fairly simple, I have yet to be convinced about the costs involved of the EPST scheme. Having no income for 2 years really does become a minor issue...

Consider that $88,000 roughly equals £62,000 at 8% for a year = £67,000. This would be owed by half way through the training. Add on the £7000 for the JOC (if not selected BA) = £74,000. A further years interest at 8% = £80,000.

Should you (as is likely) gain immediate employment you may then have an initial disposable income (including allowances) of say £2000 per month if you're lucky.

With a debt of £80,000 increasing at 6% for 15 years the repayments would be about £700 per month leaving you with just £1300 per month (initially). This figure would not allow you to live comfortably and buy a house (paricularly near a London airport). I understand that the loan repayments can be varied according to salary (so lower initially) but then you pay even more interest on a larger capital sum over the period. Surely you would end up surviving rather than living comfortably for all 15 years!

I realise that money is not the primary motivator for the majority of pilots, but what other industry saddles you with a 'second mortgage' just to do your training? If the industry really is running or due to run short of pilots should those individuals with the ability, determination and dedication to fill those places be financially crippled to do so? :eek:

Skyjob
2nd Aug 2001, 13:29
Trader 7272, can I just remind you that the average duration which the bank takes your loan to is 20 years, hence reducing the pay-back monthly to even less then £700.

Also the starting income for EPST-cadets at this airline is a bit more then £2000 fyi. And that aside, your salary will increase quite quickly so you can either pay back more or live a more comfortable lifestyle.

The tests may not be the most difficult ones, but they are useful enough for EPST to select only those capable of obtaining an ATPL. Aviation isn't quite the same as nuclear physics you know with regard to what you'll have to learn.

Good luck in the following days anyway, although by the sound of it, YOU won't need it.