PDA

View Full Version : Files from a PC to an Ipad

beerdrinker
19th Aug 2015, 10:08
Apologies. I asked this some time ago but have lost the details.

How do you transfer .pdf files (my aircraft Manuals and Documents) from a PC to an Ipad.

I thought the way was via loading them to Dropbox from the PC. Then opening Dropbox on the Ipad and then loading them from Dropbox to GoodReader. Trouble is I have forgotten how to load them from Dropbox to Goodreader and my barely legible notes do not make any sense.

Or is there another way as I think it is not possible to link the Ipad to a PC physically as a new Drive and transfer the files that way.

Instructions for a computer illiterate PPL would be appreciated.

I am not a fan of Apple's Fruit machines but there are several apps that only work on them and so I use my Ipad Mini as a EFB and as well as the aircraft manuals and docs have Jepp FD, SkyDemon and ADL Connect on it.

Thanks,

BD

Aubrey.
19th Aug 2015, 11:19
You can skip the Dropbox app on the iPad entirely. Open up Goodreader on the iPad, then click the Connect button (little globe), then Servers. Click 'Add' and Dropbox will be one of the options, input your Dropbox login details and you can copy files directly onto the iPad that way.

Capn Bloggs
19th Aug 2015, 11:34
Aubrey, out of interest, are those files then available offline? Does Goodreader say them on the ipad?

Aubrey.
19th Aug 2015, 11:46
Yes, assuming you've copied them to the iPad, they're all available for offline viewing. Very good for approach plates etc, Goodreader is one of the most useful apps I've got!

beerdrinker
19th Aug 2015, 11:55
Thabks Aubrey,

Now have the problem that when I click on GoodReader on the Ipad, Drop Box comes up. I have deleted DropBox as an app but it still come up when I click on GoodReader.

BD

geoff1248
19th Aug 2015, 16:13
Why not email the files to yourself from your PC and open the mail attachment on the iPad. This has worked for me many times.

Don Coyote
19th Aug 2015, 16:27
I don't use Goodreader as I prefer PDF Expert but you probably need to enter the Dropbox account user name and password and allow access, this should only be needed once.

The other method is (assuming PC and iPad are on the same wifi network) is to use WiFi drive. Enter the url into your web browser and you can then upload files or folders if compressed.