PDA

View Full Version : Microsuck Locks My Tiscali Account

modtinbasher
19th Aug 2015, 08:37
Hi folks. Following advice from TalkTalk, (my Internet Service Provider) and as a result of a recent major security breach involving Carphone Warehouse, I've started the most frustrating task of changing all my passwords.

Unfortunately Microsuck have now locked my main Tiscali email address for 30 days because I was unable, within Outlook as my email client, to negotiate their ridiculous account verification procedure. I do have alternative email addresses, but most of my business is conducted to my Tiscali address via Outlook.

Basically, for Ppuners who are not aware, this verification procedure involves Microsuck requesting the input of a numerical code which one can elect to receive via landline, mobile or email. So I chose my mobile. The code came through immediately, but when I tried to input it I was advised it was not recognised. After several attempts I was advised my account was locked. So, the last mail I received was on 15 August. I feel as if my arm has been cut off!

Looking forward to September when my account is unlocked (yippee) I expect to be asked to input a numerical code to verify my account......which of course will not work!

I'm seriously angry trying to negotiate with a server. Why can't I find a human who will help me?

Anyone know any workaround for this problem, and whilst on the subject, how would one rate Gmail for example? Any other suggestions?

MTB

Avtrician
19th Aug 2015, 10:44
Is the problem with Tiscali, or Outlook??

Have you tried another email program like thunder bird?? If you know your email setup details, it should be easy. I have never heard of verification codes when changing passwords.

Daverb
19th Aug 2015, 20:29
Sounds like you locked your Tiscalli account, not Microsoft.

Booglebox
20th Aug 2015, 04:55
I assume you're referring to outlook.com using the feature that checks other accounts for you?
It's a free service and there is no support beyond a knowledgebase and forum, I think. However, if you know your account details for Tiscali, you can go ahead and configure it in a different mail client e.g. Outlook (the program) or Thunderbird. You will need some or all of your POP / SMTP / IMAP settings handy.

modtinbasher
20th Aug 2015, 08:30
I reckon it must be my Tiscali account that's locked. I can still get into a Hotmail account I'm using through Outlook so I'll wait till the 30 days are up and try to retrieve all my saved important mail and contacts. Then import them to gmail which seems to work ok.

MTB

occasional
21st Aug 2015, 09:04
I do not use Tiscali but I have had the same experience with Hotmail codes that do not work (and also with codes that are sent to email accounts which are also locked because of "security").
The whole setup looks more like a spying system than a security system.

So far the solution has been to find another computer to access email.

Carrier
14th Sep 2015, 00:34
Consider changing to:

Tutanota www.tutanota.de

or

Protonmail www.protonmail.ch

both as suggested here: https://bananas.liberty.me/youre-a-criminal-in-a-mass-surveillance-world-how-to-not-get-caught/