PDA

View Full Version : A quick question for fast jet jocks

JointShiteFighter
17th Aug 2015, 15:48
Every time I see a picture of a regular, front line jet in the UK, be it Typhoon, Tornado or F-15, there's always a missile on the rail, and unless it's a QRA jet, they are inert. Why is this? They obviously aren't fired every sortie as jets come in with the inert weapon still there.

While I'm here, what's the odd looking long thing that's usually on the opposite rail of a Typhoon? One would presume it's a sensor that tricks another aircraft in to thinking a weapon has been fired at it, for aerial combat training.

Rhino power
17th Aug 2015, 16:20
...unless it's a QRA jet, they are inert. Why is this? They obviously aren't fired every sortie as jets come in with the inert weapon still there.

The rocket motor is inert and there is no warhead, but the seeker head is active, it's an acquisition round...

-RP

Mortmeister
17th Aug 2015, 17:29
ASRAAM acquisition round on one side, simulates the the real thing for the pilot in training and exercises and saves him from shooting down any defenceless Jaguars!

RAIDS (Rangeless Airborne Instrumented Debriefing System) pod on the other. Enables crews to playback what they have been up to whilst chasing each other and proves who shot who.

Don't ask a pilot, ask an armourer!

KenV
17th Aug 2015, 17:40
An inert sidewinder round has a seeker head so the pilot can hear the "growl" in his headset when the missile has acquired the target.

An inert AMRAAM could also be carried that has the electronic package of an AMRAAM so the aircraft systems think they are interfacing with a missile. That is necessary to conduct BVR missile engagement training.

There are also pods that look similar to inert sidewinders that are actually a form of datalink. On an instrumented range this provides aircraft data (including fuel state, weapon state, aircraft flight parameters, etc etc) to the range systems both to declare who has shot who during an engagement and to provide data for later playback during debriefing.

JointShiteFighter
17th Aug 2015, 17:50
Thanks, guys!

MM, I couldn't possibly comment about the Jaguars, Bob Viking will plot to kill us both otherwise! ;)

Bob Viking
17th Aug 2015, 18:09
That particular incident was well before my time thankfully. So please dit on. It's one of those tales that's hard to believe but sadly true!

BV

JointShiteFighter
17th Aug 2015, 18:31
What incident?

BV, you have a PM for whenever you get a chance. :)

Edit: Ah, the incident involving the Phantom. :-(