PDA

View Full Version : Mass Storage Controller Problem

Erwin Schroedinger
17th Aug 2015, 14:11
Hi all

I've just acquired a physically very tidy 2007 Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Pi 1505; Win XP Pro, Service Pack 3 installed. No disks, so no drivers, recovery or Windows disks.

Mentally, is not so tidy...

On startup a window appears:

'Welcome to the Found New Hardware Wizard.
This wizard helps you install software for
Mass Storage Controller.'

I've tried every available path offered by the Wizard, including connecting to the internet (which it does OK) to search for software/drivers, but always end up with a window:

'The hardware was not installed because the wizard cannot find the necessay software'.

Selecting Start, Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager displays (amongst the usual, all normal):

? Other Devices
! Modem Device on High Definition Audio Bus

SCSI and RAID Controllers
! Mass Storage Controller

Sound, video and game controllers
! Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus

Please can anyone guide me through restoring the above to normal (i.e. no ? or !)?

maliyahsdad2
17th Aug 2015, 14:56
Try here for drivers.

http://support.ts.fujitsu.com/download/Showfiles.asp?OSOpenedTree=Microsoft%20Windows%20XP&IsOSSelected=YES&RHRead=&Microsoft%20Windows%20XP-Childs=0&OSText=665F4A20-6E31-43C3-82C2-D98CE773007C_Windows%20XP_True&lng=EN

Saab Dastard
17th Aug 2015, 17:26
Unless the PC will never connect to the internet, you really really shouldn't still be using Windows XP. It is a serious threat both to your security (and that of others).

If the laptop is capable of running a supported OS (e.g. windows 7 or a current Linux distro), why not install one?

From a quick google, it looks like it's possible to install and run Win 7 even though it's not officially supported by FJ-S. You might have to google for specific drivers - e.g. sound.

SD

Erwin Schroedinger
17th Aug 2015, 19:53
Many thanks maliyahsdad2. I've already been to the Fujitsu Siemens site via a search for mass storage controller, but I'll try entering via your link and use the machine serial number. Fingers crossed...

I know exactly what you mean Saab Dastard. This machine was acquired at little cost and will be used only with my scanners and printers inoperable with Win 7 on my other machines. Plenty of life left in my old printers and scanners yet and the ink is as cheap as bottled water (although its not that much stronger, but that doesn't matter for the work I do).

Saab Dastard
17th Aug 2015, 22:05
Erwin,

Fair enough if you aren't going to connect it to the outside world.

I notice that the XP drivers on the FJ-S site are for Home and Media Centre editions only, yet you have Pro? I wouldn't think there would be any problems, but it's curious that there's no Windows Pro support from FJ-S

There's a SATA driver (Intel Matrix-Storage-Manager), an O2Micro Integrated Controller driver, a Motorola SM56 Data Fax Modem driver and a couple of Realtek audio drivers that would seem to address your problems on the F-JS support site.

Install the chipset driver as well if it's newer and why not check your BIOS version and update that if required.

SD

Erwin Schroedinger
19th Aug 2015, 18:14
Hi Saab Dastard. Thanks for the info.

I'd already downloaded those drivers to a pen drive, but I've only just now had the time to unzip them, put them in folders on the pen drive and copy those folders to the desktop. I then uninstalled the Mass Storage Controller (I'll do the modem and audio later) and restarted the PC.

I then get the expected 'Found new hardware....' window for the Mass Storage Controller and an offer to 'Search for the best drivers...'

I only tick 'Include this location in the search'.
Then select 'Browse'
Then scroll to the desktop and left click it.
...and the 'OK' button is greyed out.

So I can proceed no further.

I repated all of the above, but included the 'Floppy, CD-ROM...' option, given that the pen drive is still connected, but same dead end within 'Browse', as above

I repated all of the above, but specified the folder on the pen drive, instead of on the desktop. Yet again 'OK' is greyed out and I'm stuck at that dead end.

Must be my fault, but can't see where.

:ugh:

Any ideas anyone, please?

Booglebox
20th Aug 2015, 04:57
Try Device Manager > search for drivers > use Windows Update. (must be connected to the internet for this to work)

Or, if you don't need the device in question, or don't know what it is, just disable it in Device Manager.

Erwin Schroedinger
20th Aug 2015, 18:12
Thanks Booglebox, I've just tried that approach, but end up with:

'The hardware was not installed because the wizard cannot find the necessay software'.

:ugh:

This is wierd.

Biggles78
24th Aug 2015, 15:46
If you have 2GB RAM or can upgrade to 2GB very cheaply, then I would suggest installing Windows 7. It will likely have the drivers built-in.

You may find the Mass Storage Controller is for the SD memory cards. Insert an SD Card into the slot and see if the driver is auto detected. Being connected to the Internet at the same time may help.

Erwin Schroedinger
24th Aug 2015, 17:42
Thanks Biggles78, but I need Win XP to run my non-Win 7-compatible scanners and printers (see post 17th Aug 20:53).

I'll try the SD card idea - thanks.

A possible solution to this wierd affair comes to mind:

A colleague has exactly the same laptop in every respect, albeit in better health.

Would it be possible to transfer drivers from his machine to mine, please?

...or some other variation (though I know not what) of using his machine to restore mine to full health?

MG23
24th Aug 2015, 18:23
Does the other laptop have a recovery partition? If so, you could copy that to yours and see if it's able to reinstall the OS.

Of course, you'd then need to install about 15,000,000 Windows updates to get to the latest version of XP.

Copying the drivers should be possible if you can find the relevant .ini and driver files, but would take some trial and error to figure out which ones you need. Unless you get lucky, and the manufacturer put them in an easily-found driver install directory.

bit-twiddler
24th Aug 2015, 20:03
Go to the device manager and have a look at the device with a question mark, properties. Then have a look at the details and then change the dropdown to hardware ID. That will tell you the vendor and pid for the driver you need to install - you should then be able to search for it.

Erwin Schroedinger
26th Aug 2015, 05:51
Thanks to MG23 and bit-twiddler. I'll try those suggestions.

I tried the Biggles 78 SD card idea, but no joy. Thank you for the suggestion, though.

I still think it should be way easier than this.

I've discovered that Fujitsu Siemens failed to include this driver on their drivers disk with new Amilo Pi 1505, because there's lots of discussion on various forums trying to sort out what to do about it. None of the suggestions on any of those forums have brought me any success and, based upon the majority of replies on those forums, others have also tried and failed. There are described solutions which assume a completely fresh start, but I really want to avoid that, because I'll lose my Windows XP Pro installation, with no disk to reinstall it.

Bushfiva
26th Aug 2015, 06:19
You said you copied folders to the desktop, but when you click "desktop" the button remains greyed out. You actually need to navigate to each individual folder: the button will ungrey when it sees a driver it likes.

Edit: You're looking for Intel drivers, right? Install the Intel Driver Update Utility to see if it has more luck?http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect?iid=dc_iduu Version 2.2 is Vista onwards, but fingers crossed, who knows?

Erwin Schroedinger
31st Aug 2015, 09:35
Nothing suggested previously has worked.

You actually need to navigate to each individual folder: the button will ungrey when it sees a driver it likes.
I'm not given the option; of the choices offered, 'Desktop' is listed, but none of the folders I've placed there are listed. Expanding 'Desktop' is not offered.

I'm beginning to think this is because I have Win XP Pro, as suggested earlier. Poor job by Microsoft if it is. But the laptop worked from the Fujitsu-Siemens factory, so it can't be impossible.