PDA

View Full Version : Haggle a deal at Lufthansa ticket sales?

dohouch
16th Aug 2015, 08:54
Say I book a return flight Europe to Buenos Aires economy for 27 November 2015, back on 16th December, if I then, at time of checking at airport upgrade to Business, will the price be higher or lower than present online price for Business?

You can always ask

G-ARZG
16th Aug 2015, 10:28
'How long is a piece of string?"

Could go either way, depending on loads.

I've had 'bargain' upgrades on check-in, but also walked away (no, ran) from extremely high price quotes.

They might want your Y seat if they're overbooked, esp near Christmas.

alserire
16th Aug 2015, 11:03
Chance your arm and just ask for one initially. Friend of mine on another carrier (EI) asked at check in to JFK and was told that the plane was full and that they might upgrade him to use his seat as the flight was overbooked by four people. Sure enough at the gate he was called for an upgrade. No money changed hands!

Probably more of a chance on a full plane but see if you can work a free upgrade before asking about prices. Whoever says the first figure loses!

PAXboy
16th Aug 2015, 12:14
The rules on upgrades have been well discussed in here over the years. The key factor these days is your Status in their Frequent Flyer scheme. The days of easy upgrades are long gone.

Heathrow Harry
18th Aug 2015, 14:14
still happens tho PAXBOy

mate of mine and his wife hardly fly anywhere and got a Premium Economy to Business upgarde on BA without asking earlier this year - they were reasonably dressed but otherwise not remarkable

alserire
18th Aug 2015, 14:42
Indeed. My friend wasn't even dressed well. Jacket and a T-shirt. But he managed to wring one out of Aer Lingus easily.

Again I think if the plane is oversold you've a good chance if they need your seat and there's space at the front.

Piltdown Man
18th Aug 2015, 22:17
The key factor these days is your Status in their Frequent Flyer scheme. The days of easy upgrades are long gone.

Not necessarily. A certain European carrier will definitely NOT upgrade frequent flyers every time. This is to prevent the wise ones from booking economy on flights that are busy or oversold. Instead, fancy algorithms calculate who is the most valuable to the airline. Rather predictably it means people who are not sure what to do with a salad and can only eat with their hands get to the posher area up front.

PM

PAXboy
19th Aug 2015, 00:56
Sure. I said 'one of the key factors'. Others are how you are dressed and behave and the mood of the agent, etcetera.

Also, if overbooking becomes a problem early in the check-in window, or late, will affect who is at the desk (both sides!) at the time. The permutations are almost countless.