PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth getting a CIR as a new CPL holder

CuanJames
15th Aug 2015, 12:38
Hi there. I'm looking for some advise from some of the Australian pilots out there. I've just recently got my Private pilot Licence and I'm now looking to progress on. I'm looking at a course with Flight Training Adelaide, which gives me a diploma in Aviation with a CPL, multi-engine rating and CIR. What I'm looking for advise on, is am I wasting my time and money at this stage getting a CIR, and will it be useful for any entry level flying jobs?
Cheers, Cuan

MartinCh
16th Aug 2015, 18:42
While you're making the most of premium costs of FTA plus the VET fee help extra percentage (assuming you're not paying out of pocket/cash), why not?

You'd be better off in the Oz specific section of pprune, but most aeroplane starter jobs are scenics/charter, possibly skydiver dropping. For that try to get C177 and bigger (C180, 182, 185, 206, 210), although AFAIK not at FTA's fleet last time I browsed their website. JPA for dropping skydivers requires 10hrs on biger engine/higher perf Cessna and some training for the authorisation.

Unless doing FI course (reasonable secure way to secure job, especially at busy FTA/AFTC with all the cadets - they weren't interested in 'part time' comm/FI conversion when enquired about casual training costing)
most newbies 'head North' as you probably know. Time it right for the hiring season in Kimberley or around Cairns or Darwin.

You only need NVFR for FI course requirements besides commercial, not CIR. Try to get the NVFR issue requirements even if you don't end up doing the flight test - it's required for the full IR later on - or even the couple hours multi for multi IFR. It's all in the regs. One needs NVFR training and solo circuits to get full IFR/CIR for daytime flying, as NVFR training isn't requirement in Australia for day VFR commercial, or at least wasn't previously, unlike say USA or Europe.

I met one Aussie with UK passport recently in Luton (one of the London's airport towns) who after 1000hrs+ day VFR jobs went to UK to get airline job, as it's not the easiest to go from training to airline FO job, even RFDS or small TP charter. Few cadet schemes are exception in Australia and they do no good to 'traditional career route/upgrades' with the Catch-22 thing regarding twin time for twin jobs, charter or airline.

I'm moving to Oz in 'stages' and keep track of job market, schools etc. Unless instructing in bigger city, you're most likely looking at year or three around Top End for charter/scenics.

EDIT: B Hartwig have C206 which'd be good to have bit of time in for future early jobs.
Don't be too 'loyal' to one school and not fly a single hour elsehwere if it's to your near future advantage - you have to think of yourself. TB10 and Diamonds are nice, but you want some time on type, so 'shop around' for at least part of your training. Parafield is bit more limited with choices compared to Sydney or Melbourne areas.

CuanJames
23rd Aug 2015, 00:02
Hey, thanks for the reply.

I funded my PPL out of pocket, but found it was taking too long and the sometimes long gaps between flight was almost like taking a step back each time. So my whole search for a training school/course is based on the requirement for eligibility for the vet-fee help loan, thus why I'm looking into FTA.

You raised some interesting points there, but again its trying to get the vet-fee loan that limits my choice in terms of courses.

you mentions schools in Sydney and Melbourne, are there any in particular you would recommend I take a look at?

Cheers, Cuan

MartinCh
9th Sep 2015, 19:31
I have very limited first hand info about schools. If you're Adelaide based and FTA is easiest in terms of saving on housing and other living costs, why spend more than plenty? I try to keep track of various sides of aviation, training, jobs, but I give ideas/pointers at best, don't take me as gospel.

Just wanting to help to see things from other angles. There are many graduates with C152/172/pa28/PA34/44 time and that's about it. Yet C172 isn't of much use for bigger SE Cessnas and having MECIR on Seneca or Seminole is highly unlikely to get newbie a twin job as things are. So what can you do differently, to stand out from crowd and show motivation, independent thinking/planning?

Bruce Hartwig do mention VET FEE Help. http://hartwigair.com.au/career-courses/

I do get what you mean regarding recency of training/continuity and finances. Same story for many of us and worse.

Do visit both schools if not more and see what fits more. Do look behind shiny marketing. What I mentioned about C206/182 etc rings true for early scenic/charter jobs in Oz. You'd not find that at FTA and if paying/borrowing heaps, why not get it ticked off/met while training?

The 'integrated course' structure in Oz due to the training and solo times do not leave much space for instrument training, but having the NVFR done as part of visual training and making most of the instrument time logged, even on navex later on when it's more useful putting foggles on to practice instrument scan rather than admiring view. It will help towards future training, especially if you don't add to massive debt with the packaged twin IR, but rather 'proficiency based' meeting at least the rating issue. Any night, instrument or both same time, time is good for later on for ATPL and training later on.

If I were to move/stay in Adelaide and train from own pocket, I'd not use FTA. I once asked about shorter 'as needed' conversion and was told sorry no interest. They're busy enough with all the cadets to bother with someone doing some bits here and there. Needless to say I wasn't impressed. Business that turns down business on early enquiry, does not deserve my business. I am Brisbane based unless fiddling with heli or gliding stuff someplace else, OZ, Europe, wherever, so won't have time to be in Adelaide anyway, other than some short specific training/holidays.

btw, reason I specifically asked FTA was the use of Grob 115, also used by CSWAFC in Jandakot and Merredin, for FI job there in theory if not elsewhere, would make life easier in theory.