PDA

View Full Version : Southwest taxi accident KMCO

Tinstaafl
15th Aug 2015, 05:41
A few days ago Southwest Airlines had a taxiing accident at Orlando International (KMCO). It looked like it didn't make a taxiway turning off from runway 18R, went through the slight ditch at the side of the taxiway and suffered damage. 18R was closed overnight & all the next morning.

I saw it as I taxied past that morning. Nosewheel collapsed, maybe maingear collapsed too. It was resting on the RH engine nacelle. Couldn't see if it was also on the other nacelle, although it looked laterally level so maybe both engines were affected?

Later that day I saw it getting towed past. Nose on a dolly, main gear with bracing straps. RH engine nacelle really crunched.

News reports stated it was being repositioned for maintenance. Fortunately they managed to avoid the school/playground/hospital while plummeting the foot or two to Earth.
http://home.mindspring.com/~noel.ingram/pics/Southwest taxi accident.jpg

mattymagoo
20th Aug 2015, 19:42
Aircraft was being taxied to the MX hanger by two mechanics. Not sure what exactly transpired. The rumor is that the airplane is totaled due to forward pressure vessel and wing spar damage. The aircraft had been online for only a month with SWA. I'm guessing the mechanics found out the hard way what 70-80% N1 does when the airplane is empty and has minimal fuel on board.

stilton
22nd Aug 2015, 09:20
Mechanics taxiing aircraft has always been a bad idea, numerous accidents with extensive damage have taken place over the years.

Much cheaper to use a tug !

vapilot2004
22nd Aug 2015, 19:47
Agree with Mr. Stilton 100%.

The rumor is that the airplane is totaled due to forward pressure vessel and wing spar damage.

I find that very difficult to believe.

skyship007
22nd Aug 2015, 19:58
My wild guess no 1: Spurs stuck behind rudder bar, crew fell asleep or were using their Mobi's.
Wild guess no 2: Jammed power levers or software issue

Don't tell me this was an another Gingerbeering incident, or the bar was about to shut!

PS: Quite a few older hailine pilots have A&P ratings (Cheaper accident insurance premiums) and I will take a look in Farcebook or U tub to see if one of the drivers posted one of those, "Hey look I'm resigning", or even a, "Look we are nearly at Vmcg babe" type clips!

If it is an older ex UK Iffyjet model, then I wonder if the brakes failed ??

Old Boeing Driver
22nd Aug 2015, 20:05
Does anyone have a tail number. That body looks short to me to be a -800 or newer.

skyship007
22nd Aug 2015, 20:06
5% downslope ??

philbky
22nd Aug 2015, 20:11
Way too short to be an 800 and only one overwing exit.

DaveReidUK
22nd Aug 2015, 21:14
Like the majority of Southwest's fleet, it's a -700: N561WN (which started its career with EasyJet).

misd-agin
22nd Aug 2015, 21:35
SW friend - New to SW. Not new.

Nose gear, pressurization structure, cowlings(wing spar?)(engines digging into ground), etc. damage = a/c is totaled.

There's always more to the story. Hustling across, heads down, experience level, etc, etc.

Get enough holes in the cheese....