PDA

View Full Version : NAIPS

fujii
13th Aug 2015, 22:14
I have sent the following to NAIPS.

NAIPS requires a password which regularly expires. If I require a TAF, area QNH or area forecast I am required to enter my name and password.

The BoM issues the above information which may be accessed on the BoM site without a password. Why can't NAIPS be simplified? Surely it isn't security.

Slugfest
13th Aug 2015, 22:32
Read the Naips Face Sheet once logged onto NAIPS

Note 1:
NAIPS Password Security - A password reset is required every 180 days for NAIPS
access and accounts are purged when unused for 365 days.
Regular changing of passwords protects our Air Traffic Control system from
unauthorised intrusion and maintains security from cyber threats.

Read the NAIPS FAQ in the Documents and Downloads section...

6. Why does NAIPS demand password changes? There is nothing
secret in NAIPS right?
NAIPS Password Security - A password reset is required every 180 days for NAIPS
access and accounts are purged when unused for 365 days. Regular changing of
passwords protects our Air Traffic Control system from unauthorised intrusion and
maintains security from cyber threats.
Users may change passwords at any time or when prompted should your password
have expired. A new password is sent to your email address within minutes of the
request. Airservices recognises possible inconvenience of regular password changes
however security of our Air Traffic Control systems is our aim for the benefit of
Australian aviation. For help with NAIPS Pilot Briefing Service please call the
Airservices Australia Help Desk (H24) on 1800 801 960.
Yes, there is nothing secret in NAIPS but there is some “commercial in confidence” data
that pertains to users and of course, safety related material that if maliciously modified,
can affect air safety. Passwords and confirmation of email address will be required to be
undertaken a couple of times per year.

Hasselhof
13th Aug 2015, 22:46
In addition to the met info that NAIPS provides it also allows a user to enter and activate a flight plan into the ATC system. The BoM web site won't do this.

I'll agree that this needs to have some sort of security. However, since NAIPS usernames and passwords are pretty freely thrown around it does make a joke of the security it provides, and makes the need for frequent password changes rather pointless.

Slugfest
13th Aug 2015, 23:25
Yerrp, this was a pretty funny joke I'm guessing

No Cookies | The Courier-Mail (http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/former-aerorescue-pilot-deleted-flight-plans-in-revenge-against-employer/story-fnihsrf2-1226741256019)

Former AeroRescue pilot deleted flight plans in revenge against employer. Pennington was sentenced on nine counts of unauthorised modification of data

buckshot1777
14th Aug 2015, 01:24
since NAIPS usernames and passwords are pretty freely thrownIf so, then more fool you/your company.

Slugfest
14th Aug 2015, 11:51
I can tell you that absolutely that charging for NAIPS access is not going to happen...

...and the funny thing is that by using 3rd party software, you are paying for the software and covering the costs incurred for the vendor as per the airservices dynamic data agreement are you not? :}

gchriste
14th Aug 2015, 12:06
I thought that in the case of an investigation due to some unforeseen circumstance, say a forced landing due weather etc, it was prudent to have on record that you had checked weather. Surely using a username to login to NAIPS to get reports helps with this?

LeadSled
15th Aug 2015, 00:47
Slugfest,
Why are you getting into Pennington now. Are you intent on prolonging his medical afflictions. You really are a bit of a slimy slug, aren't you!!

From another post.
Folks,
Depression is a terrible affliction, that was the problem, not stupidity.
The guy has paid the price for depression, the Black Dog, or whatever you want call it, with his career, leave him alone.
He should never have been prosecuted in the first place, under the medical circumstance, but that is CASA for you, leaning on the DPP.
Tootle pip!!

Slugfest
15th Aug 2015, 05:42
Lead,

Really, Name Calling?

pot / kettle.

:bored:

LeadSled
15th Aug 2015, 09:31
Slufest,
And just why did you feel it necessary to bring this matter up, after all this time??
Did it make you feel good??
What you have done is completely unconscionable, not to mention totally unnecessary, and added nothing to the original intent of the post.
Tootle pip!!

Slugfest
15th Aug 2015, 23:36
... and added nothing to the original intent of the post.
Tootle pip!!

The original post closed with the words " Surely it isn't security."

The news report is relevant because it highlights the security aspects of the system and the all too common practice of widely sharing account details.

So in that aspect, it does add to the thread and no amount of (feigned) indignation or self righteousness on your behalf will alter that.

Pip Pip Cheerio.

LeadSled
16th Aug 2015, 02:19
Slugfest,
Absolute rubbish, do you know anybody who has suffered severe depression??
I am not the only one wondering what you real motive is in posting the courts details you did, instead of letting sleeping (black) dogs lie.
Do you actually know how Coastwatch used to handle NAIPS access??
Tootle pip!!

Slugfest
16th Aug 2015, 04:54
yes;

I guess you did not read my previous answers to your questions or you are incapable of simple comprehension;

yes - precisely, exactly and intimately in fact;

pip pip cheerio