PDA

View Full Version : AW 139 power check

repvolo
12th Aug 2015, 10:49
Hi to all, I'm new here.
I have a question for all who operate the AW139.
My unit have in charge a new AW139 from about an year, so we have little experience on it. As engeneers says we do the daily power check with 100%NR, but we usually need to operate in CAT A, so we need the power check done at 102%NR.
We decided to do it daily directly at 102% to be sure we'll have the helicopter ready for any kind of mission, but engeneers need it done to 100% to use it in the maintenance program.
How do you do, expecially who use it for Police/sar mission?
Do you perform a daily double power check (100 and 102%)?

Geoffersincornwall
12th Aug 2015, 14:01
I suspect a little bit of "lefthand not talking to right hand".

If you operate Cat A then the RFM requires a power check before each flight. This is rather impracticable and I understand that those that operate Cat A generally conduct a power check before the first flight of the day and leave it at that. I guess they have approval from their NAA or AW to do that.

So irrespective of what your tech department requires this 'Cat A' (using 102% of course) power check will be required.

I'm not a technician but I'm pretty sure that the outcome of the two different power checks are equally valid although they would probably have to recorded on different lines of the TREND check graph which has to be checked every 50 hours.

I don't see the need to do the PA check twice but then I'm just a pilot and I teach the 139 rather than operate it. If you do carry it out twice I think you will be the only operation in the world to do that.

A check at 102% Nr should be enough.

G.

Camp Freddie
12th Aug 2015, 16:48
You only need to do it at 102% for CAT A, as part of your first flight of day only, either on your spot before you move or on a suitable taxiway enroute or on the runway just before departure depending on the nature of the operation / airport. I think your engineer is incorrect requiring it at 100% and as Geoffers says you are unique.

ericferret
13th Aug 2015, 00:22
We use online P&W WEBECTM and we input the data derived at 102%.

belly tank
13th Aug 2015, 02:16
We do ours at 102% before first takeoff for offshore operations. :ok:

heliniger
13th Aug 2015, 09:49
Hi to all, I'm new here.
I have a question for all who operate the AW139.
My unit have in charge a new AW139 from about an year, so we have little experience on it. As engeneers says we do the daily power check with 100%NR, but we usually need to operate in CAT A, so we need the power check done at 102%NR.
We decided to do it daily directly at 102% to be sure we'll have the helicopter ready for any kind of mission, but engeneers need it done to 100% to use it in the maintenance program.
How do you do, expecially who use it for Police/sar mission?
Do you perform a daily double power check (100 and 102%)?

For default, all AW139 are setting in WEBECTM for 100% PA. Your Tech dept need to request to PWC to change the settings for 102%.

maeroda
13th Aug 2015, 11:10
Regardless of the tipe of operation the aircraft is evolved, DPC is to be performed @100% RPM__RFM, issue 2, rev 13, section 4.

Geoffersincornwall
13th Aug 2015, 11:36
You forgot Supplement 12-

SECTION 4K - PERFORMANCE DATA
This section includes performance data that is common for all CAT A
procedures.
ENGINE POWER CHECKS
The purpose of the Engine Power Assurance Check is to provide a
means of monitoring engine health. A HOVER power assurance
check procedure for the CAT A rotor speed of 102% is provided. The
procedure has to be used to check if engine power available is within
the limits established for legitimate use of the CAT A Rotorcraft Flight
Manual Performance. See Figure 4K-2 and Figure 4K-3.

Can't believe a Cat A Operation would have to do it twice.

G.

repvolo
13th Aug 2015, 13:12
Thanks to all, as Heliniger says I think that the problem must be solved by our tech area, 'couse it's obviously sure that a power check good at 102% means it will be good at 100% too.
By now we are still doing it at 100% at the first flight of the day, and, if we mean to operate a CAT A, we do it at 102%....if this happen in another flight than first...we do the power check again at 102% before the flight.
We are still in the transition phase.....and it's hard to change mind from old pilots with thousands hours on ab206 and 212....to a new way to use the machine.