PDA

View Full Version : First solo

Blackball
25th Jul 2001, 22:28
Any one out there know the kind of questions asked by the instructor re air law prior to being allowed to do your first solo?
Cheers in advance. :rolleyes:

Luke SkyToddler
26th Jul 2001, 00:07
Yep, I only ever ask one ... 'have you passed the law written exam?'

If not, then I'm afraid it's a case of 'sod off and come back when you've passed it'. That way it's all there in black and white, and we can't be hung out to dry if you do anything dodgey or illegal when you're up there solo, and then you or your grieving relatives decide that you weren't properly briefed for the flight, and turn round and sue us :D

I don't know any instructors that sit you down and ask verbal law questions prior to solo however, where did you get that idea from?

Blackball
26th Jul 2001, 00:21
Thanks Luke, how many questions are there in a typical Air Law paper? are the multi choice? Do you get the result on the same day that you sit the exam? What is the pass mark? Thanks again in advance :confused:

EGPFlyer
26th Jul 2001, 01:17
I didnt do any exams before going solo.. I dont know if this is the norm though :)

Scratch One Bandit
26th Jul 2001, 01:37
It's been a while since I have dont the PPL exams, but I think, and correct me if I'm wrong, the passmark is 75%. There are about 30 questions or so, all multiple choice, with each question having a choice of three answers.

Have you got the Trevor Thom book for Law? It's certainly worth it. They are also worth it for the other subjects too. Maybe think about the PPL Confuser for practice at the ppl subjects.

hasell
26th Jul 2001, 12:10
As has already been stated above.

Before going solo, I too was asked if I had passed air law. Also I got briefed on the two questions I got wrong in the exam.
Following that, I did a check ride with another instructor, once through that 'hoop' I went solo.
Finally I agree with the previous posting that the book on Air Law by Trevor Thom and the PPL Confuser are excellent revision aids.
Good luck with that solo!

PPRuNe Dispatcher
26th Jul 2001, 16:30
I passed air law 11 days ago. It's 40 questions in 60 minutes, pass mark is 75%

An hour is plenty of time - I finished in about 40 minutes having checked my answers twice.

Mik
aka PPRuNe Dispatcher

Luke SkyToddler
27th Jul 2001, 01:42
Get hold of one of the red Trevor Thom's to learn the more relevant stuff (light signals, airspace classes, rules of the air, privileges of a PPL holder etc, knowing them properly will actually help keep you out of trouble).

The total time wasting JAR sh!te questions, like all that Chicago Convention and ICAO standards nonsense which seems to make up the bulk of the exam these days, just read the practice questions in the confuser, they're so much like the real questions that you'll recognize them straight away in the exam. Commit them to memory, regurgitate them in the exam and promptly try to forget them again so there is more room in your brain for something useful ...

Blackball
28th Jul 2001, 14:46
Thanks to all you, your info much appreciated