PDA

View Full Version : Gazelles

t'aint natural
15th Jun 2002, 05:09
I went to Redhill on Friday to look over the latest 12 Gazelles released by the military. They're fantastic and I'd love one, but...
I know all about the Permit to Fly situation, but I couldn't get a proper handle on costs. I met a C of A Gazelle owner who said his all-in costs were about 450 pounds an hour. Then I met an ex-military Gazelle owner who said his direct costs were 135 pounds an hour, without provision for engine or insurance.
Can anyone help me with a definitive costs run-down on an ex-military Gazelle? Some assumptions - fuel at 33 usgph, say 46 pounds an hour for the sake of the spreadsheet. Insurance around 5,000 pounds per annum? Let's say 3,000 pounds per annum hangarage.

eowyn
25th Jun 2002, 17:51
I went to that same event and the cost I got off someone who has had one since last August was £145 per hour incl. £50 fuel, £5000 insurance and £3000 hangarage. He includes no provision for repairs or anything of that type in it. What he said was that the type of people who buy these basically will have the money if something goes wrong.
A friend of mine had estimated £250 phr incl contingency money. He had got quotes between 5 and 8 K for the insurance and about 2000 for hangarage.
He had been to a company at Stapleford - MW Helicopters, who he thinks does a better deal as they include a years warranty on all parts and had bought Gazelles to break up and have spares with time on them of 1000 hours plus, useful to know when you look at the engine hours on the LHC ones that have about 400- 450 hours left on them. He said for instance that a new gear box could cost 45,000 so a years warranty and chepare spare parts was a good thing.
I will say that I am writing my first article ever for a magazine and it is on buying and using one of these helicopters. If you don't mind, could you tell me why you want one, what attracts you to it?

latecomer
3rd Jul 2002, 16:22
Calculating overall costs for running a machine is not easy. For this kind of machine I would (and have) calculate(d) the direct operating costs and they combine the regular and planned overhalls, inspections & major time-lifed parts to which you can add the items you mention (fuel, hangarage + insurance).

I would add in the turbine maintenance (divide life (=1750 hrs?) by 100K£ overhall).

I agree with remark that says you need the money if something goes wrong - you can calulate approx. costs of ownership, but don't count on it. An overtemp or unexpected failure in turbine etc. can be very costly very quickly.

Can give you details of inspection prices if you like (available from disposal companies).

eowyn
9th Jul 2002, 20:09
Yes please, I would like any information that you have.