PDA

View Full Version : Oodnadatta Mobile Coverage

mikewil
9th Aug 2015, 12:13
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has been out too Oodnadatta in recent times.

My understanding is that the township now has Optus mobile coverage (no Telstra).

If anyone has been up there, would love to know if it reaches the aerodrome.

Cheers,
Mike

ACMS
9th Aug 2015, 12:59
Sorry I can't answer your question but doesn't Optus have a coverage map?

Then again, a 20 second Google search found this----

http://www.optus.com.au/shop/mobile/network/coverage

According to that map the answer is no.

kaz3g
9th Aug 2015, 13:30
No avgas at OOD now, either. They sold the pink trailer to William Creek.

Kaz

mikewil
9th Aug 2015, 21:57
Sorry I can't answer your question but doesn't Optus have a coverage map?

Then again, a 20 second Google search found this----

Optus Mobile Network Coverage (http://www.optus.com.au/shop/mobile/network/coverage)

According to that map the answer is no.

The map is out of date. It doesn't show the new coverage at Oodnadatta at all, which is why I'm asking for first hand experience.

In any case, coverage maps can be hopelessly inaccurate at the best of times.

X30N
10th Aug 2015, 04:07
Can confirm no Telstra network as I was there a few months ago. I remember the guys at the Roadhouse mentioning the Optus network was planned but not up and running at the time.

Avgas only in drums. Ring them beforehand to make sure they have any left!

mikewil
9th Apr 2016, 11:34
Anyone been out there yet and managed to test if it reaches the airport?

Alloverit
9th Apr 2016, 12:06
Was there not so long ago, still had the "fuelling facility" and Telstra worked at the airport.

gerry111
9th Apr 2016, 15:26
mikewil,

If you're planning to fly around those wonderful outback parts of S.A. may I offer you a couple of suggestions?

1) Perhaps plan to refuel at Coober Pedy as there's a self serve bowser there? The fuel is quite cheap there by comparison to William Creek. That is because the Avgas is trucked to YCBP from Adelaide by bitumen roads. Wrightsair at YWMC have to pay extra for fuel trucks to use dirt roads.

2) YCBP has Telstra mobile coverage whereas YWMC has none.

The William Creek Hotel remains one of my most favourite flying destinations.

cam
21st Apr 2016, 11:49
If you intend travelling in that area I strongly recommend carrying an Iridium Sat phone and a PLB

gerry111
21st Apr 2016, 12:01
I reckon that anyone would be crazy to fly anywhere without a PLB. :)

mikewil
21st Apr 2016, 12:11
I reckon that anyone would be crazy to fly anywhere without a PLB.

Didn't say anything about not carrying a PLB, however a PLB cannot be used to phone the local pub to be picked up after landing at the airport.

That's why its nice to know what the airfields have in terms of mobile reception.

Oodnadatta is a strange one as they supposedly have only a 'short range' Optus (not Telstra) service in town. Not sure if it reaches as far as the airfield though.

The William Creek Hotel remains one of my most favourite flying destinations.

Mine too, only been there once though!

gerry111
21st Apr 2016, 12:33
mikewil,

(My comment about carrying a PLB was a general one, rather than specifically to you.)

You simply don't need a mobile phone to contact pubs, hotels nor motels on the ground in remote places! In this case, you could contact the Pink Roadhouse some days beforehand and tell them of your planned flight there. Then the day before, remind them that you intend to fly there the next day and will overfly the place inbound. On the morning of your departure, ring them and give them an update of your possible arrival time. You'll find that people in the outback are very cooperative and responsive with these sorts of things.

I'd suggest that you be on the Telstra network when you travel outback.

P.S. It's always a good idea if you're flying from civilisation, that you ask them if there's something that they need for their business that you can bring along. We've carried detergent for the dishwasher at Forrest before, purchased at Ceduna. And always newspapers for Trevor Wright at William Creek!

Capt Fathom
21st Apr 2016, 20:58
Oodnadatta is a strange one as they supposedly have only a 'short range' Optus (not Telstra) service in town. Not sure if it reaches as far as the airfield though.

mikewil. Did you read post #7

mikewil
21st Apr 2016, 23:17
mikewil. Did you read post #7

I did, but am willing to bet that it is incorrect.

There is no Telstra at all in Oodnadatta, this is confirmed with both the pink roadhouse and Telstra themselves.

outnabout
22nd Apr 2016, 00:03
Gerry 111, all excellent suggestions, and good advice.

I would add another small suggestion for those destinations where there is dodgy or no coverage:

If you nominate that you are going to be at Burrumbuttock (or wherever) Airstrip at 1.30pm - then be there, aircraft unpacked and secure, ready to go.

You do no-one any favours by saying that you will be there at 1.30pm, meandering in closer to 3 or maybe 4 (because you chose to take the scenic route, decided on the spur of the moment to stop for lunch, couldn't get your act together, under-estimated the headwinds, whatever) and then chucking a wobbly because there is no-one there to meet you. If in doubt, I recommend over-estimating your arrival time (think you could possibly be there by 1.30? Book your lift for 2.30, just to be sure).

It is extremely poor manners / airmanship to keep your driver waiting with no attempt to update your arrival time, and makes life that bit harder for those of us who pride ourselves on our punctuality.

Old Akro
22nd Apr 2016, 08:47
In the olden days - pre iPhone - we used to get phenomenal coverage through this area with LG flip phones and external antennaes using a car roof as a ground plane.

iPhones are not bad, but half as good as external antennae phones, which are all but extinct.

You can buy induction loop external antennae adapters from eBay for a couple of dollars. You might consider trying one with an external antennae.

gerry111
22nd Apr 2016, 14:19
'Outnabout', I completely agree! A bit of planning and courtesy ensures a welcome reception.

'Old Akro', The Telstra CDMA phone coverage was pretty good outback. GSM then was useless by comparison. I remember once ringing 'Desert Flower' at Leigh Creek for fuel whilst overhead the Northern Flinders Ranges at 6500'. Perfect reception from my LG flip phone! King Island then only had Telstra CDMA available.

PLovett
22nd Apr 2016, 14:26
mikewil, the airfield at Oodnadatta is in walking distance of the town, just over 1 km so if Optus works there then I suspect it will work at the airfield.

However, its been a few years since I was there.