PDA

View Full Version : Whether or Not to Start PPL Early

Duttonfx
9th Aug 2015, 08:59
Hey guys,

I'm a 15 year old pilot who almost occupies a RA-AUS license (went solo yesterday), I intend on getting my navigation endorsement and passenger endorsement when I get my base license. But I was wondering, once I finish my RAA license would it be a good idea or not to start my PPL early so once I finish school I could start with my CPL, MEIRC and ATPL studies once I finish school. Or should I go full time and get my PPL, CPL, MEIRC and ATPL studies when I do finish school? I am wondering which would be a better option, I am pretty eager to start my PPL but am wondering whether or not it would not be beneficial in terms of knowledge.

Capt Claret
9th Aug 2015, 09:14
In terms of knowledge, yes it would be beneficial. The only detriment to doing it that way may be cost. It could be cheaper in the long run in dollar terms to consolidate all the training.

You can't acquire too much knowledge or experience.

Good luck. :ok:

Diesel Pilot
9th Aug 2015, 09:26
Duttonfx,

My advice would be to wait until you can do all your training from PPL onwards full time if you have the option to do so. Reason is the more frequently you fly the better you will learn the required skills and the less chance of having to relearn skills if you have large gaps when training part time. This means you'll get your licenses faster and save money ion the long run. Having no breaks will make the transition to CPL and beyond easier. I started out part time for my GFPT (now RPL) and PPL flying once every 1-2 weeks then went to full time to finish off the CPL and FIR. If I could do it again I would go full time if I had the option.

What I would do in your position is start learning the theory you need to pass your RPL and maybe even PPL exam(s). This forms the basis of all the knowledge you'll build on for the CPL and ATPL exams in the future. But don't think about those right now, start at the beginning. The one thing I found working as an instructor is everyone leaves their theory until the last minute which inevitably holds them up with their flying. I found Bob Tait's books easy to understand and all the knowledge up to PPL level is covered in just 2 books.

Good luck and congrats on your first solo!

Duttonfx
9th Aug 2015, 09:56
Thanks Diesel Pilot and Capt. Claret, both opinions were put into consideration! It's good to finally have a forum where you get a good and educated answer ;).

The name is Porter
11th Aug 2015, 05:03
And congrats on going solo mate :ok: welcome to the club :D

Flyer517
11th Aug 2015, 08:03
I can't add anything to the advice already given other than to echo that flying as often as possible makes it happen quicker in my experience.

But congratulations on soloing. What a wonderful achievement at your age. Can't beat that feeling eh?

Best of luck.

Flyer

Humbly Reserved
11th Aug 2015, 08:19
For what its worth its a tough industry but I feel the earlier you immerse yourself in it the better.

PPL would seem like the next logical step (Although don't let this stuff school up) if you lose your medical one day you might want alternate options.

From both Airline and GA perspective I've noticed the younger you get into it maximizes your experience (i.e. I'd rather be a 28 year old with 10 years of aviation experience as opposed to a 38 year old) not that age should stop you at either end of the Scale.

Congrats and Good hunting Mate

HR