PDA

View Full Version : Powerlines Allegedly Claim Another Victim.

Sunfish
9th Aug 2015, 07:11
This time a Gyrocopter.

Man killed in gyrocopter crash at Warneet, south-east of Melbourne - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-08-09/man-killed-gyropter-crashes-at-warneet-south-east-of-melbourne/6683818)

I note the epithet "home made" is attached to the story. What has manufacture got to do with hitting power lines assuming the aircraft is airworthy?

ACMS
9th Aug 2015, 08:08
Sorry RIP to the Pilot but you have to ask what he was doing so low?

Squawk7700
9th Aug 2015, 08:10
Perhaps watch the following and make up your mind...

I like the comments on the youtube video claiming that the pilot was warning the swimming public of the presence of 5 dangerous rips. This would have been on 21st December 2014 if the comments are correct.

JQxI4Y6T710

http://members.iinet.net.au/~bc75/gyro1.jpg

http://members.iinet.net.au/~bc75/gyro2.jpg

kaz3g
9th Aug 2015, 11:11
At least his passenger survived...

Kaz

Ultralights
9th Aug 2015, 12:33
how do we know the crash victim was the same person in those videos?

Squawk7700
9th Aug 2015, 12:53
how do we know the crash victim was the same person in those videos?

We don't, except that he posted it on a forum under his name, so unless he posted a video from his own personal gyro when someone else was flying?

hQqDtOwegAk

Draw your own conclusions, however some of the videos are labelled "flying low over beach."

I say to draw your own conclusions because gyros legally fly at 300ft AGL and there is no altimeter shown in any of them.

Sunfish
9th Aug 2015, 22:08
If the video is correctly attributed, I say Darwin Award.

rutan around
10th Aug 2015, 01:30
and there is no altimeter shown in any of them.
Well what's the instrument top right in the cockpit photo?

rutan around
10th Aug 2015, 01:36
Sorry. I just reread the altimeter post again and realise Squawk wasn't saying there was no altimeter. Note to self. Read twice before engaging keyboard.:=

kaz3g
11th Aug 2015, 04:08
ASRA website confirms that an investigation found this accident resulted from collision with wires during illegal low-flying activities.

http://www.asra.org.au/news/forums/topic/gyro-fatal-in-melbourne/

Kaz

Squawk7700
11th Aug 2015, 09:27
It's hard to believe we see this happen so often yet others continue to repeat the actions of those that have died doing it before. Also hard to believe that someone on another forum is (even after this fatality) spruking about flying at zero feet down a beach, low level over built up areas and turning onto final at 200ft because he has a low level endorsement and had a passenger taking photos for a fly-in event! I suspect his time on earth is ticking majorly. Other than perhaps Fraser Island, I've not heard of anyone being given permission from the Crown for such activities.

OZBUSDRIVER
13th Aug 2015, 22:32
(C) PPRUNE ??????

Squawk7700
14th Aug 2015, 00:03
(C) PPRUNE ??????

I snuck that in there because I suspected my picture would end up in a news paper or on another site. I couldn't think of anything else to write at the time.

OZBUSDRIVER
14th Aug 2015, 10:41
:ok: The way you put it through the shaded portion, 7700. Made me think it was actually on the machine.

Typhoon650
15th Aug 2015, 05:01
Uh oh....someone has removed access to the videos on Youtube. Friends or family, or perhaps investigating body?
If that doesn't show it was the same pilot......

Squawk7700
15th Aug 2015, 06:07
It was definitely the same pilot, he posted them all over another forum including blow-by-blow descriptions on how he was dodging swimmers on the beach.

Capt Fathom
15th Aug 2015, 12:50
Squwak7700, you really do need to Squawk STBY.

People are deceased, so let it be.

zanthrus
16th Aug 2015, 00:34
I agree Capt Fathom but it is lucky no innocent bystanders were hurt on the ground.

Unfortunately the pilot got his just rewards for stupidity.

Dark Knight
16th Aug 2015, 06:49
We definitely should set up an `activist' movement to have all pwoer lines removed and banned as they are a clear and present danger to aviation with too many killed by them.

illusion
16th Aug 2015, 07:05
Dark Knight,

A less intrusive option might be to improve "the minimum standard of attendance" before allowing one into a cockpit. This stuff reflectly poorly on the entire industry; In particular creating poor perceptions of the charter and training industry in challenging times.

KRviator
16th Aug 2015, 08:04
I agree Capt Fathom but it is lucky no innocent bystanders were hurt on the ground.

Unfortunately the pilot got his just rewards for stupidity.But this idiot nearly, very nearly took his unsuspecting passenger with him. If you want to kill yourself flying, go hard, but do not put anyone else at risk.

As I've posted elsewhere, just because you killed yourself flying does not mean your estate is free from compensating others injured or killed as a result of your actions. The case of Greg Maddock, former Energex CEO is one to consider. He committed suicide by jumping in front of a train. The driver of that train never worked one again, and lost his livelihood, consequently and successfully suing Maddocks estate.

Homesick-Angel
17th Aug 2015, 01:12
People are deceased, so let it be.

Nope. Only one person, and from the looks of the videos, it was only a matter of time. Lucky he didn't take the pax or others on the ground.

I know that there are people here on PPrune who engage in such activities and think there's no problem with it. Please feel free to continue,but do it where you'll kill only yourself.. Thanks in advance.

I usually sit on the fence or stay quiet on these issues, but you only need to see one fatality, see family be notified etc, to realise the damage this idiotic selfish behaviour causes...:mad:

mattyj
17th Aug 2015, 21:49
Damn powerlines, just sitting there innocently..who knows when they are going to reach up and swat another poor aviator out of the sky!