PDA

View Full Version : Flying with children - privately

Duck Pilot
9th Aug 2015, 01:19
I have recently started taking my children (primary school aged) flying. Most of the flying we do is on relatively short trips. Initially it was a bit of a challenge however they are starting to become good flyers. On longer trips I intend using a larger aircraft to give the kids more room. From an operational standpoint, a larger aircraft is usually faster and has better range and will keep us away from most of the performance limitations - two adults, two children, baggage and full fuel in a six seater is far more safer and comfortable than trying to do the job in a four seater.

Both the children now fly with headsets and we usually take ample refreshments, etc even on short trips. I would be interested in hearing what other pilots who fly regularly with their children do to make the whole experience more enjoyable.

Australian Flying recently had a very good article on the subject, although I found their suggestions to be things that we already do.

My wife hasn't done much GA flying and she is also amazed what can be seen from the air below 10,000 ft, not to mention what you can explore at the destination when you arrive.

UnderneathTheRadar
9th Aug 2015, 02:05
My tips:
iPads
Blankets
iPads
Lollies
iPads
Engine runs done before they get onboard on hot days
iPads
Planning water intake in the lead up to departure
iPads
"I know you don't need to go now but you still have to try"
iPads
Absolute enforcement of never going near the props
iPads
iPad charger/headset batteries

The only meltdowns we seem to get (5/3/6months) relate to headsets/movies not working on demand.

In a six seater be prepared for a change of seating - if they're in the back you or your wife won't be able to assist from the front so she should sit in the middle row. I have no problems with either of the older ones sitting in the front with the seat adjusted so that they can't reach the controls.

It's a great way to explore Australia with them in a unique way - enjoy!

Radix
9th Aug 2015, 04:31

Mister Warning
9th Aug 2015, 06:26
Yes Radix every time I get in the cockpit I feel tired.....

ForkTailedDrKiller
9th Aug 2015, 06:50
Australian Flying recently had a very good article

That would be rare! :E

kellykelpie
9th Aug 2015, 10:05
I remember vividly the look on my 10 year old boy's face when I gave him a briefing before takeoff and explained the Epirb if something happened to Mum and I (we were in the Kimberley).

Walking Ballast
9th Aug 2015, 11:22
Well planned event. Spent weeks waiting for right weather, discussions with wife, discussions with Master 12, several trips to hanger prior to event. Broke the briefing down into small understandable pieces, safety around aircraft - walk around, safety around controls - sit in and explain and now you tell me what they are and do and why it is important to touch NOTHING, discussions on when to say anything (so as not to interfere with radios procedures). Demonstrations of correct procedures on the event of flight going pear shaped, now show me the brace position.

Snacks, check, toiletry requirements check, small cushion for comfort, check, weather check, Mother with camera at the ready. Preflight with Master 12, slowly explaining what was happening and why.......righto, strap in and lets go........

Start up - excitement builds, Radio - Excitement climbs, taxi.....this ROCKS Dad.........

$9 dollars for snacks,
$12 for fuel to drive to airport
$80 for fuel for A/C
$450 for cleaning products and sanitizers and dry cleaning of carpets and shampooing of doors

(Apparently) PRICELESS - the look on my face while cleaning carrots from the inside of my poor old lovingly tendered A/C, three minutes into the taxi - never even got to run ups..no warning....just a steady stream of breakfast and whatever was left in Master 12's stomach from the previous evening

...Apparently, because that was what everyone else in the Club spent the next week laughing at!! :mad:

Radix
9th Aug 2015, 16:00

UnderneathTheRadar
9th Aug 2015, 22:07
Wow, a bit too excited.

I'd have to agree - the weeks of planning, briefing and generally hyping up the event probably had some role to play in that outcome. Sure, it's not-usual to fly in a small aircraft for most but it's not unusual.

It needs to be relaxed, assured and not something SO special that it invokes anxieties in advance.

UTR

Stanwell
10th Aug 2015, 06:49
Radix & UTR,
Just one word... Yep.

Duck Pilot
10th Aug 2015, 08:30
Thanks for the good replys.

Forkie, I was trying to be diplomatic in relation to Australian Flying 😀

I've got heaps of chunder bags thanks to my many years of flying punters around the Bungles spewing their guts up, probably because my flying skill back then were bad 😀😀😀

Xray Tango
10th Aug 2015, 09:32
I thought I read an article in a recent (flying clubs copy) Australian Flying magazine that didn't mention a certain editor flying a lilydale aircraft, pleased to admit I was wrong !