PDA

View Full Version : For you BA 767 types!

Sopwith Pup
15th Jun 2002, 01:24
A quick question for BA 767 pilots, what is the inclinometer below the MCP and above the primary EICAS used for? It is fitted to our leased BA 767s but not to our other 29 767s.
A bit of a scan if it is a secondary slip indicator!
:D

WOK
15th Jun 2002, 14:11
It is a slip indicator, but actually really the primary rather than secondary....

The reasoning is that the indicators attached to the EADIs, if you look closely, are adjustable via a friction screw. If the EADI is changed the aircraft strictly needs to be levelled and the slip indicator adjusted.......like that's gonna happen.

The one under the MCP is not subject to this issue.

A bit of a distant scan, I agree!

Health warning: I haven't seen the inside of a 767 for eight years......

Sopwith Pup
15th Jun 2002, 23:58
Thanks WOK, I have to say that in my "Boeing recomended" seating position I can't see the slip indicator below the MCP.
Perhaps it is used as a "reference" for adjusting the slip indicators attached to the EADIs after they have been disturbed.
Thanks again.

Blacksheep
17th Jun 2002, 07:45
Henry Ford and others hit upon the key to mass production - interchangeable parts with each part made to drawing tolerances with sufficient accuracy that any part can fit into any 'next higher assembly' without adjustment. Today, the original idea has been refined to tight tolerances that would have delighted the early pioneers.

The slip indicator on the EADI is adjusted on the bench as part of final assembly after manufacture or repair. When installing an EADI into the instrument panel we don't have any of those circular clamps any more! The replacement EADI slides into place on a fixed tray and locks into position using a locking lever, the handle of which you can see across the top of the display unit. Once the unit is locked into place the lever is secured in position by two fastening screws, one each side. Because every EADI and every tray are exactly the same as the next pair - within extremely tight interchangeablility tolerances - the EADI needs no adjustment after replacement.

And yes, we DO perform accurate alignment checks when replacing a whole instrument panel or its mountings. Pilots are always very welcome to come and watch...

Through difficulties to the cinema

Sopwith Pup
17th Jun 2002, 09:59
Thanks Blacksheep, your reply gives me great assurance. What are your thoughts on why ex BA 767s have this third slip indicator/inclinometer?
Because of it's position I can't honestly see any benifit to the pilot in having it. It is no big deal other than I'm curious.

Golden Rivet
17th Jun 2002, 18:56
I beg to differ Blacksheep

The last EADI I changed on a 757, the tray was so wonky that an adjustment to the slip indicator had to be made.

Good old Boeing Quality !

Regards

WOK
17th Jun 2002, 22:52
Blacksheep:

Don't read into my post a 'dig' at engineers, just a dig at the work regimes they're subject to.

FWIW I did used to work in the hangar and that's why I sympathise.......

;)

Blacksheep
18th Jun 2002, 05:10
Golden Rivet,

I trust you were working on the line, to a tight deadline and that you raised a deferred item for the instrument panel/EADI tray to be rectified at the next hangar visit? :p

Sopwith Pup,

I have no idea why Birdseed Airlines put an extra inclinometer on their panel. I did work for them once and often marvelled at some of the odd things they did. Excellent engineering at Birdseed though; I learned a lot and had some fun during my time in the East Wing and TBJ.

Through difficulties to the cinema

GoodToGo!
19th Jun 2002, 01:48
Brain hurting now, but from memory, if we changed an EADI on a 737 we had to adjust the slip indicator to match the other side. If both EADI's were out, then the aircraft had to be levelled and the slip indicators adjusted....

Cheers!
GTG!

Golden Rivet
20th Jun 2002, 09:31
ASFKAP

Obviously trying to catch me out !

ADIRU tray replacement in a slightly different league.