PDA

View Full Version : Longest home to duty claim.

Dan Winterland
8th Aug 2015, 04:14
Not in fiscal terms, but mileage. This one would be hard to beat!

https://twitter.com/TheRealBuzz/status/626812956148248577/photo/1

P6 Driver
8th Aug 2015, 07:54
Content removed

Tankertrashnav
8th Aug 2015, 08:23
Do they still get home to duty payments in the services? Nice little perk when I was serving, much missed in later civilian life. My son, who has only ever served in the army before getting a civvy job in Holland where travel to work is frequently paid for, was surprised to learn that its not something many people get in UK civilian life

ian16th
8th Aug 2015, 08:34
Do they still get home to duty payments in the services?

Not a question of do they still get it, more a question of, 'when did it start'?

diginagain
8th Aug 2015, 08:36
...that its not something many people get in UK civilian life
I claim Tax Relief from HMRC for using my car to get to work, and car-parking charges, at 45p/mile for the first 10,000 miles, 25p/mile thereafter. That's 678 miles 18 times per year, plus 21 days parking at a discounted rate of £3.25 per day, times 9.

Sometimes people seem unaware of their entitlements.

Tankertrashnav
8th Aug 2015, 09:33
Up to a few years ago when I was self employed and commuting to Truro I tried to claim my expenses for that but was told quite firmly that HMRC did not allow daily travel to normal place of work as tax-deductable (my accountant confirmed this). If however I drove to Penzance or Plymouth to attend an auction, for example, then that would be deductable. As you are doing your trip only 18 times a year then obviously it doesnt fall into the "normal place of work" definition.

Ian - as I recall it started in the early 1970s, and around the same time you could start to claim petrol allowance in lieu of your 3 annual rail warrants for travel on leave.

MPN11
8th Aug 2015, 09:44
I recall a Civil ATCO at LATCC, many years ago, who used to commute by train from Bristol [on the rare occasions that civil ATCOs actually went on watch back then].

Melchett01
8th Aug 2015, 10:18
Up to a few years ago when I was self employed and commuting to Truro I tried to claim my expenses for that but was told quite firmly that HMRC did not allow daily travel to normal place of work as tax-deductable (my accountant confirmed this). If however I drove to Penzance or Plymouth to attend an auction, for example, then that would be deductable. As you are doing your trip only 18 times a year then obviously it doesnt fall into the "normal place of work" definition.

This was clarified in a DIN at the start of the year, after MOD discussions with HMRC. If your posting notice states the tour is 2 years or less, it supposedly counts as temporary under HMRC rules and you can claim.

I've got 2 years of 90 miles/day HTD and 18 months of 300 miles/week GYH claims sitting on my desk. Should pay for Christmas if they are actually allowed :ok:

uffington sb
8th Aug 2015, 13:02
I used to cycle from my home in Peterborough to a top secret Top Gun airbase very near Stamford.
It was a 22 mile round trip at,I think 9p a mile, but only after the first 5 or it might have been 7 miles in each direction.
Gave me a few beer tokens and enough for a puncture repair outfit.
By the end of my tour, I'd clocked up some 15k miles!

ian16th
8th Aug 2015, 13:27
Ian - as I recall it started in the early 1970s, and around the same time you could start to claim petrol allowance in lieu of your 3 annual rail warrants for travel on leave. How was the mileage for leave worked out? There was an active black market in leave travel warrants. At Yatesbury, the southerners used to put down a leave address in Scotland and sell the ticket to a Scotsman.

Tinribs
8th Aug 2015, 14:09
In my day, many years ago, we could get home to duty but it had a fairly low max per month unless you had not moved house on posting. Because the service had been saved the cost of moving you they allowed unrestricted home to duty. I never used a pedal cycle but motor cycles over 500cc got the full amount.
My journey was RAF Cottesmore to RAE Bedford can.t remember the mileage but it bought me a new bike each year.

NutLoose
8th Aug 2015, 16:27
How was the mileage for leave worked out? There was an active black market in leave travel warrants. At Yatesbury, the southerners used to put down a leave address in Scotland and sell the ticket to a Scotsman.

You would record the distance off the odometer and put it on your claim, they would then if they disagreed argue the distance using the chart in the back of road maps, it helped if you lived in the sticks as they didn't have a clue past main cities, I once got grief when they worked out the mileage to be about 80 odd miles less than I claimed, going up to my PMC desk they were pointing out the figures when I said now measure it avoiding motorways as I haven't passed my bike test yet.... It was then spot on and I was paid.

diginagain
10th Aug 2015, 06:07
As you are doing your trip only 18 times a year then obviously it doesnt fall into the "normal place of work" definition.Nothing to do with the number of trips. I don't work in Aberdeen, it's just the place where I leave the car before going off somewhere else for three weeks under the arrangement of my employer. My "normal place of work" moves around a bit.

ETA: I've helped a family member who recently retired from the RAF Regiment to receive a large rebate for his car useage while based up-country from his home in Cornwall.

DON T
10th Aug 2015, 06:52
Housed at RAF Uxbridge and working in London I was required to purchase a monthly underground ticket and claim back the cost LESS you personal contribution, so it cost me money to go to work. Mind you did have free travel at all times during the month.

I also remember being stationed at Scampton in 69-70 when they introduced the personal contribution to home to duty travel. Some single airmen lived at Scampton but worked at nearby RAF Faldingworth, they were bussed to work but then they were required to contribute financially to the journey. To get over this a Cpl paraded them on Scampton's car park one morning and marched them to Faldingworth, approx. 4 miles. Contributions didn't last long.

kaitakbowler
10th Aug 2015, 07:52
Surely "Buzz" Aldrin's travel claim for Apollo 11, which netted $33:31.

PM

OK, not HtD but still......

BEagle
10th Aug 2015, 12:54
And there was always that famous Waddington-Marham-Waddington daily RPOD claim......:E