PDA

View Full Version : Bush Flying

p.savage
14th Jun 2002, 22:14
Hi Guys.

I have recently been very interested in the idea of bush flying in Africa or Australia. I understand you need the CASA Oz License but what license do you need for Africa?

If anybody has any web links to bush airlines please forward them!

Regards

Paul

strewth
15th Jun 2002, 14:51
If you want to fly an aircraft with a particular countries registration, you pretty much need the license of that particular country. Under ICAO I think that almost all countries will allow a simplified procedure to convert a PPL (simplified is a relative term). CPL is a different kettle of fish. For eg, I think to convert to US you need to pass the theory (or at least a theory conversion) and a flight test to the standards and requirements of that particular country.

If you want to come to Australia (first get a work permit as req), and do the CPL theory conversion exam. It's mostly air law which will require a bit of study though shouldn't be too much of a problem. Go to any of the flying schools down here and most junior instructors will be more than willing to give you the run down on local procedures and the GA scene if you sling them a couple of dollars or a cold VB or two.

Bush flying is a great concept, but be careful what you wish for. If you come up to the top end, don't expect to get a job anytime soon, and when you do, don't expect much in the way of pay or conditions. Everyone in Australia has to do their fair share of s@#t work in the hangars or fron desk while trying to get those few precious hours.

Luckily I'm based in Darwin and have it pretty easy, but a lot of my mates out on communities have got a whole heap of interesting stories. Expect wierd charters over barren areas with nothing (and I mean NOTHING) in the way of civilization around you to places that sound really interesting and adventurous when the call comes in, but is really just very short, hot and rough which, even if you survive may shave a couple of years of your life. Believe me, dust and heat in excess of 35 degrees and 100% humidity 'aint all its cracked up to be.

If you have the right to work and stay here, best of luck. It's worth it in the end.

If you like, send us an e-mail