PDA

View Full Version : CPL - same instructor?

Dangle the Dunlops
14th Jun 2002, 20:09
I have been training and completed my PPL with an excellent instructor who has just moved from Teeside and is now working weekends at Netherthorpe at a much smaller flying school . My concern is that I want to go on to do a CPL in the near future and I would like to stay with Stuart, but unless he moves on or gets another position during the week at a CPL school, I will be forced to find another instructor. That would be a shame as I had several instructors previously (and tried at a couple of schools) and for whatever reason I finally clicked with him and he managed to put me at ease and to teach me what no-one else had managed beforehand. Should I stall the training until he sorts out his work situation, after all there don't seem to be many jobs at the moment for the likes of me, if I rush it through?

Has anyone got an opinion whether it is sensible to stay with the same instructor, or doesn't it really make any difference at the CPL level, i.e. are the instructors all of the same standard for the more advanced courses? It strikes me that for the PPL at least, there are a lot of new instructors out there with not many more hours than me, and I like the idea of sticking with an experienced chap who can teach as well as fly.

Thanks.

tacpot
14th Jun 2002, 20:27
Can you explain further why 'Stuart' (If that really is his name), cannot teach you to CPL during the week?

foghorn
14th Jun 2002, 20:34
Because he's not employed by an FTO that teaches commercial?

scroggs
14th Jun 2002, 20:36
Finding an instructor who is good and that you can get on with is important, but I honestly doubt that Stuart is the only one who could possibly fit the bill!

WRIGGLER
14th Jun 2002, 20:52
I'm in a similar position to yourself, I to have had a few hours instruction with another school and found that i did not click with the instructors so i changed to the school over the road.

I am not to far away from you (Leeds flying school)and i have continued with a chap called James who teaches PPL through to I.R. i am hoping that as i also intend to go commercial he will be able to take me through the whole of the sylabus.This i believe is a good thing as i will have the continuity that i require and will develop a relationship that will only assist me as i go along.

Seen as you are not to far away and we appear to be at a similar stage in our training for commercial licenses,how about meeting to discuss things?just e:mail me if you want to.

Only found this site today and i think it will be great to communicate with other people who are trying to get there tickets.

Foghorn
i have just read some of your previous posts and you seem very experienced. Are you an airline pilot now or are you waiting to join an airline?how long was your commercial training and did you find it hard.Thanks

Scroggs
I like dunlop have found it hard to find an instructor that i click with, some of the ones i have flown with have not been interested in me and i think they did not take me seriously when i said i wanted to go commercial.
I think i have now found one that 'fits the bill' and after experiencing some of the others in the area i am wondering if good instructors are few and far between.I like DUNLOP will definatley be sticking with the one i have got now.

Dangle the Dunlops
14th Jun 2002, 21:12
Thanks for the replies - amazing how quick they were.

Yeah, I'm sure I could find another great instructor, but I really don't want to go through all the trials and tribulations again.

Your comments are appreciated - anyone else got something to add?

Wriggler, I will get in touch as I'm sure we could swap notes.

Cheers again.

foghorn
14th Jun 2002, 21:38
WRIGGLER,

Still looking for my first job job, sadly, like so many others at the moment.

It took me just over 2 years 3 months part time to go from 0 hours to CPL/IR MCC via the JAR modular route. It was hard work, it cost a bl**dy fortune, but I don't regret it one bit.

Do a search on 'foggy story' if you want to know more - don't think I'll update that thread until I get a professional flying job (which might be some time....)

cheers!
foggy.

Gin Slinger
14th Jun 2002, 21:39
I thought one of the qualities airlines look for from their prospective pilots is the ability to work with all sorts. If you can’t do this, then perhaps you better find another career.

Having been forced to change flight instructors during my IMC rating due to vaguely similar circumstances, whilst at the time I remember being somewhat perturbed, in hindsight it proved to be beneficial.

My first Instructor was full of enthusiasm, explained concepts in layman’s terms wonderfully and instilled some much needed self confidence, but wasn’t so hot on teaching procedural stuff. The second was a rather dry character and would nit-pick to the extreme lengths, but I believe over all, experiencing two Instructors foibles enhanced my training no end.

Despite all the standardisation in the world, Instructor ‘A’ will always emphasize slightly different points than Instructor ‘B’ – gives one the opportunity to assimilate the best of both.

Wee Weasley Welshman
15th Jun 2002, 05:21
Different instructors different styles - makes you stronger; does hold water.

However, as a moduar student IF you can find an instructor with whom you 'click' and he/she can take you from PPL to IR then you are a lucky student. Its the ideal scenario in my book.

Good luck,

G-SPOTs Lost
16th Jun 2002, 20:51
Statler

How is Netherthorpe??

Shame you've got to have 6 different instructional jobs to get experience of different Airfields?? you could always fly between the TD and the LBa for the rest of your career, thinking it through you could start your own airline call it "Geordie -eee by gum air" :p

You might not have impressed this guy so much if you'd had to do 20 minute trial lessons for 12 hours a day at a proper airfield like BPL :D

When are you buying me this beer you big tart:)

Sqwark
25th Jun 2002, 21:23
Check out Leeds flying school as I think you might find your friendly instructor!