PDA

View Full Version : QF is a minnow..

TBM-Legend
1st Aug 2015, 22:27
Top ten airlines in the World...no QF

Australians think QF is big but these figures don't show that. Fedex is way up there hauling freight...

Top ten: How the world's biggest airlines ranked in 2014 - 7/31/2015 - Flight Global (http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/top-ten-how-the-world39s-biggest-airlines-ranked-in-415274/)

Going Boeing
1st Aug 2015, 22:36
I'd like to know where Qantas was on the list before Clifford/Joyce did the major downsizing.

Sunfish
1st Aug 2015, 22:52
Just back from Europe via Hong Kong. Cathay business class all the way. Qantas is an irrelevant sideshow outside Australia.

What is not irrelevant is its provision of domestic and international services across Australia since this is a huge determinant of regional economic growth.

biglanchow
1st Aug 2015, 23:08
Aviation Expert Geoffery Thomas may disagree with this?

Transition Layer
2nd Aug 2015, 01:21
I doubt Qantas has ever featured in the Top 10, particularly when measured by revenue or passengers carried.

waren9
2nd Aug 2015, 02:41
bit harsh there tl, old mate :}

i reckon qf was prolly on that list at one point. back in the 20's maybe

Slippery_Pete
2nd Aug 2015, 03:02
Aviation Expert Geoffery Thomas may disagree with this?

Who? Never heard of an "expert" by that name.

LeadSled
2nd Aug 2015, 03:24
Qantas is an irrelevant sideshow outside Australia.Sunny,
On a world scale, the whole of Australian aviation is a bit of a sideshow.

Having said that, Qantas was, once, a technically highly respected airline, (and long term profitable). Sadly the gutting of the maintenance and engineering capabilities, and to a lesser degree, Flight Operations, by the current management means that is no longer so.

Sadly, the chickens are coming home to roost.

Tootle pip!!

Shot Nancy
2nd Aug 2015, 05:05
More like a mouse in a maze.

600ft-lb
2nd Aug 2015, 05:45
I think this thread is pointless considering the population of this country and the population that the others either operate from or within.

However, last years revenue was close to $16 billion which would put Qantas out of the top 10 by only a few spots. Revenue doesn't mean jack if expenses exceed it.

noip
2nd Aug 2015, 06:27
Actually,

Prior to C/J, QF WAS in the top ten .....

N

Boe787
3rd Aug 2015, 00:15
I think prior to the mergers of United/Continental, American/US Airways, Delta/Northwest, KLM/Air France, Creation of IAG group BA IB, that Qantas was in or close to the top ten!

parabellum
3rd Aug 2015, 00:36
I'm surprised that Singapore Airlines aren't quoted, but they have reduced their fleet a fair bit. Revenue wise SIA do well for an island with a population of 5-6 million.

TBM-Legend
3rd Aug 2015, 01:49
I think Qantas needs a better marketing department and some creative ideas to get it back on top. Even looking after the business travellers like Emirates with their limo pickup service. What's the real cost on an expensive fare.?

LeadSled
3rd Aug 2015, 06:51
Even looking after the business travellers like Emirates with their limo pickup service.

Which is a very smooth service, No.2 son was picked up several days ago in a very expensive large Audi SUV Limo.

Tootle pip!!

Silverado
3rd Aug 2015, 20:32
Do you mean something like this? Qantas Chauffeur Drive (http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/chauffeur-drive/global/en)

OldLurker
3rd Aug 2015, 20:58
Sorry, guys, it's not size that matters, but quality.

Some of the big airlines on FlightGlobal's list are pretty poor when it comes to quality of service, by which I mean everything from safety to ground handling to punctuality to culture (as revealed by FC and CC attitude). Ryanair may rank fourth on passengers carried but one flight with them was more than enough.

QF? They were really good once; sadly, only average now.

Wunwing
4th Aug 2015, 00:52
I agree on the size v quality position. One is not indicative of the other.

In the last year I have done 14 sectors to/from USA and internal USA
Also a business Class trip to DPS and a trip to Noumea.

The USA carriers who were all large airlines ranged from terrible to just adequate. The problems included one of the World's largest cancelling a service and then telling us it was our problem that we missed the flight. They told us that 3 hours prior to scheduled departure. Same airline also demanded a wheel chair pax had to stand in a line to get his wheelchair

The business class trip to DPS and back was very poor. No in seat video and poor if not amateurish cabin service. Food choice and quality was also very poor

The outstanding sector was our return trip from Noumea in QF economy which was excellent. And that's from someone who is not recently a fan of the "Rat".

Back in the day of Govt airlines most were either International or domestic, but not both.In those days Qantas was one of the largest. Just looking at my B707 production list,over time Qantas had 13 B707 138s, 21 (+ 2 leased) B707 300s. They also had 4 L188s and 2 DC4s.That was a big fleet then.

There seems to be a tendency on PPrune to reinvent history.

Wunwing

Animalclub
11th Aug 2015, 06:44
LeadSled
Remember when QF used to tell Rolls Royce how to fix/improve their engines?

busdriver007
11th Aug 2015, 07:15
600 ft-lb- Qantas revenue in 2008 was $15.8 billion and in 2014 it was $15.3 billion with 40% more aircraft. Why would a business not grow it's airline where it makes money? Well it has grown the business but has not grown the yield. What is the board doing? Shareholders don't seem to know or care.

Wunwing
11th Aug 2015, 07:37
Animalclub.

As I remember it, QF were requested by RR to tell them how to modify the engines, which they did.

Wunwing