PDA

View Full Version : £20k to go - Options post CPL

laurie
14th Jun 2002, 18:02
Hello all,

I am currently studying the ATPL's by correspondence with Bristol Groundschool (140 hours at the moment) and am looking for advice from you all.

I have £20,000 available for further training and, although the decisions are not upon me yet, I have been thinking a lot recently about the route to take after the ATPL exams and CPL.

The most appealing option up until recently was to shirk the IR, and instead go for a FI(R) course. What is the collective wisdom on that, I mean, would not having an IR make it harder to get the 'first job'?

First I should make it clear that instucting is very attractive to me, and I would prefer to follow that path.

"However"

Recently there has been quite a few postings stating that instructing is a dead option. WWW for one has said there are very few openings countrywide.

The general feeling coming through the wannabees forum in the last 3 months at least has been that people would be better positioning for CPL/IR to be followed perhaps with a MCC. Then to get a reasonably well paid job, keeping current in Sims, perhaps some limited flying and to network/play the waiting game. My wariness of this path stems from:

(1) Concern about money drying up, leaving it necessary to borrow to stay current, or even to complete the training.

(2) Shedloads of others out there trying to do same.

So in my own mind, I have still been feeling that instructing is what I really want to go for. I am hoping for instructing jobs to be opened up when the recovery (when!! is the word) comes.

So this isn't a clear cut question, and there are no right or wrong answers. I am simply looking to soak up what everyone else is feeling at the moment, which will help enormously. Please post anything you feel might help the thread develop.

Best regards,

Laurie.

laurie
14th Jun 2002, 22:53
Don't like to appear desperate but 37 page views and zero responses.....

If you are viewing this page, and you are at all involved in the training system, whether you are CFI of a school or someone nearer my situation, Just post whatever....

No worries, and I know a lot of people out there must be considering the same options.

All the best,

Laurie

PeteB
15th Jun 2002, 00:49
For what it's worth, here are my thoughts on the subject...

I'm in pretty much the same situation as you, I've recently started studying with BGS, and am considering the best way to go about getting that first job when I finally get through the exams and get my CPL.

Considering the job market at the moment, I personally feel that it may well be a waste of my money to add an IR and an MCC course to my CPL when I eventually get that far. Yes, I would then be fully qualified and ready to take on that first job, if and when it became available, but with so many qualified pilots out there, all with many more hours than me, I'll still be at the bottom of the list.

My plan, is to carry on working in the relatively well paid job I have at the moment, get my CPL and a FI(R) rating, and then instruct part time. I'll be building hours and keeping current, and I'll be keeping myself out of debt (hopefully!). Then if the job market seems to be opening up, I'll be in prime position (ie, not in debt) to splash out on that all important IR and/or MCC course. I could possibly get the IR while instructing part time - I'll just play that one by ear.

For me, this seems to be the most logical course of action, with the job market how it stands. It obviously depends on being able to get part time flying instruction work. The club I'm flying with at the moment has suggested that their part time instructors all get a reasonable amount of work, and the feeling is that if I do my FI(R) rating with them, they'd be willing to push a bit of work my way.

In your case, with money to spare, it may be an idea to do the IR followed by a FI(R) rating, then you've got a way to keep your general flying skills current without breaking the bank, and any spare money, as you say, could be used for simulator time to keep your IR current.

Remembering all along of course, that you have to get the CPL and IR within 36 months of passing your final exam.

Having said all that, I better get back to the studying or I'll never get to find out if my plan would have worked....!

Wee Weasley Welshman
15th Jun 2002, 05:51
Tricky. So much depends on personal circumstance.

Right now I think its wise to pause at the CPL stage. It had 5 years to run. The IR only one. An MCC is fine as its just a tick in the box for life.

Before doing a FI rating I would approach a few local schools and ask to talk to the CFI (you buy the tea/beer). Sometimes you can get yourself an IN to that school by stating you live nearish and you want to work at his school. What are his recruitment plans, what would he advise, can you do my FI rating...

Flatter the guy and maybe in a few months time when you have your rating he will put you are the top of the pile. I've seen this happen and did something similar myself. I talked to my first employer in 1997 about being an FI there. In 1999 I walked straight in because I was local, I was known to them and I was lucky with timing. I actually replaced a FI who flew into a mountain a month prior. :(

The FI is going to cost you £5.5k. Its going to take a while to pay that back so be careful. At this precise moment there are no jobs available for a new FI with no contacts. I know this as I have 4 friends who are FI's of varying levels of experience who cannot get a job or if they can it is so lean as to be impossible to do and pay the rent.

This is peak season and the Winter is approaching...

Lots of fATPLs are finding no jobs and are diving into FI ratings as a measure of last resort. The market is therefore somewhat flooded. There are always exceptions to the rule and I am sure one will pop up here soon.

If I were you I would:

Complete CPL
Go back to the best paid work I could find.
Use money to pay rent and then IFR sim hours.
Prepare for the IR at least an hour a day by whatever means.
Do the MCC.
Network.
Do the IR towards the end of next year.
If no joy within 6 months do an FI rating in the early Spring of 2004.

BEagle
15th Jun 2002, 06:14
1. Get the MCC out of the way.

2. Do your IR and keep it valid. If you also get a MEP rating, you can revalidate your IR during your annual MEP revalidation check.

3. FI jobs are becoming fewer; there may be a rejuvenation of demand when the NPPL comes in on 29 Jul, but who can be sure for how long that will go on?

4. GOOD LUCK!!

foghorn
15th Jun 2002, 10:59
Some places require an ME IR to start an MCC course, so this may not be an option pre-IR.

Cheers!
foggy.

lonerider
15th Jun 2002, 13:41
Why even bother doing an MCC before the IR, it will be no use to you on its own and only takes a few weeks anyway.

I would leave the IR and MCC until much later. Keep the money in the bank- (like in an ISA account) and perhaps think about doing the FI.

Wee Weasley Welshman
15th Jun 2002, 13:54
Thinking about it you might not be able to do an MCC prior to IR.

What are the rules on this?

As its just a tick in the box course I don't see a problem doing it the MCC then IR way around per se...

foghorn
15th Jun 2002, 13:58
Having an IR is definitely a requirement where I did mine at Multiflight. Don't know if this is a JAA requirement.

laurie
15th Jun 2002, 14:06
Thanks all. Very helpful.

Regards,

Laurie.

SimJock
15th Jun 2002, 14:11
Hmm.. I think my preference would be to do the IR, then keep flying on a fairly regular basis as finance permits but logging IFR hours.

IFR hours would probably be more interesting to a future employer than FI hours in the circuit or giving trial flights ? Also more enjoyable perhaps to build up.

Just a thought..

DiverDriver
16th Jun 2002, 21:19
Laurie, for what its worth I've just finished the exams with BGS and I'm planning to do the CPL and then get back in to para dropping. The weathers awful at the mo so there ain't many hours going spare but at least it' s free. Whilst I would like to instruct it is unlikely that I will be able to force an oportunity locally so I wont be spending £6K just yet. Similarly the IR and MCC can wait until things start looking up. One thing I am going to have to do though is start my research on those companies who I would like to be employed by (like there will be such thing as a choice Duh!!) , a black book if you will of what, when where and hows just so I'm ready I suppose.
Like you I'm gainfully employed so it doesn't make sense to go any further than the CPL at the moment, however I am of the opinion that whilst the CPL is the bottom rung it can and is used by some alone part-time/full time in para dropping/gliders/banner towing/photography etc its just a case of networking and luck.

Good luck to you anyways. TTFN DD