View Full Version : Class 1 Medical Restricted

southern duel
31st Jul 2015, 17:34
Hi some advice please. My son is on the verge of doing his ATPL. There was some doubt over his ability later on the course as he wears glasses and we didnt want to pay and then find out his chances of getting a job was in doubt.
As a result we paid for a medical at the CAA and he has now been granted his certificate which is a class one restricted based on eye sight.
Looking ahead if he was accepted what are the airline views of him getting a post compared to someone who has a non restricted certificate.

thanks in advance

byrondaf
31st Jul 2015, 18:15
that's fine, it just means he'll need to always have his glasses on him to exercise his licence privileges. No glasses will mean no flying. Airlines won't differentiate between someone with or without glasses. As long as his eyesight doesn't get worse than needed for a class one medical, he'll be fine.

lansen
1st Aug 2015, 06:27
byrondaf, couldn't have said it better myself! :ok:

It's seems like the rumor that all pilots have eagle eyes, is still going quite strong out there. Half of my flight school buddies had glasses or lenses. So don't worry!

CaptainCriticalAngle
1st Aug 2015, 10:12
Does he have an OML?

A Class 2 unrestricted will be very important.

Speaking from personal experience it does make things a bit trickier - many airlines (Susi e.g.) state medicals with no restrictions. Common outside of EU where employment laws are less strict.

papazulu
1st Aug 2015, 11:52
Speaking from personal experience it does make things a bit trickier - many airlines (Susi e.g.) state medicals with no restrictions. Common outside of EU where employment laws are less strict.

SUSI HoT wears glasses himself, so I guess a VDL (need to wear/carry specs) isn't really a limitation. The are fussed upon color-blindness, tho so Ishiara-only test can be accepted.

PZ :)

uncle dickie
1st Aug 2015, 13:32
What SD needs to clarify is the wording on the medical certificate.

Wearing glasses is fine provided it is a VDL code.

The problem would be a OML code in one so young. Multi crew only where a class one certificate is necessary. Although single crew crop spraying is apparently acceptable !

No single crew PT operations.

lansen
2nd Aug 2015, 11:07
@CaptainCriticalAngle

You have to be engaged in some serious s*** to get an OML. I guess, glasses doesn't quite get you there :-).