PDA

View Full Version : IR renewal: Aircraft or Sim?

foghorn
14th Jun 2002, 14:39
My IR renewal is due in the next few months. Now one of the few benefits of the JARs is the ability to renew single pilot IRs in the simulator. I can't decide whether to do it in the Sim or on an Aircraft. Anyone else got any opinions? My mind has been changing between the two options every month or so recently...

The issues as far as I can see them:

Aircraft
Pros
Will be able to fly twins VFR and IFR as my MEP rating will be renewed at the same time.

Cons
Costlier option
Only likely to fly Single Engine Piston aircraft in the UK

Simulator
Pros
Cheaper option

cons
I might decide to go hour building in the states during the next year and would need to get my MEP rating back over here before applying for an FAA license - this would turn out more expensive in the long run.

Julian
14th Jun 2002, 15:24
Foghorn,

I have just done the same thing, my approach was to do both!

Go in the sim and get your procedures **** hot, make sure you can still fly the holds, approaches, etc. My instructor kept throwing one after the other at me until he was sure I had nailed it.

Once you are happy go up and do the hold approaches properly. Bingo, one renewal!!!

Saves wasting a lot of money in the air if you aren't fully prepared.

Julian.

foghorn
14th Jun 2002, 15:31
Julian,

Thanks for that - my 'aircraft' option actually involves using the sim initially - I was mainly wondering whether to do the test in the Sim or on the aircraft.

I must say I'm coming down on the side of doing the test in the aircraft.

cheers!
foggy.

worzel
14th Jun 2002, 16:03
Foghorn

I went through this same dilemma last year. In the end I opted for the aircraft. If your anything like me you could use the hours and aircraft are available at a good price if you shop around and consider flying from an airfield with all the facilities. I was concerned that my flying would have deteriorated and that I'd need a load of hours but I was surprised. It wasn't as slick as it was when I did my initial but the examiners appreciate that you're not as current as you'd like to be. In the end I did IR and ME in 3.4 hours for just over £600, if you look at the prices some people charge for their sims its almost as much. Besides the aircrafts a lot more fun than sitting in a box!

JUMBO400
14th Jun 2002, 17:04
As a CRE/IRR(IRE in old money) I would do an LPC/IRR in an A/C everytime, as not only does it revalidate your MEP as well as the IR but also is so much more fun and your in the environment as opposed to a bl...y box, if it's going to cost you anyway you might as well have some fun whilst spending it.
3.5 hours to renew a MEP/IR is well over the top, most of my candidates complete within an hour forty to two hours and that's with another go at the NDB usually.
Considering you can get a Seneca 1 for around £220/Hour wet It's cheaper than most sims/fnpt11.

Ennie
15th Jun 2002, 14:22
I thought long and hard about this one but did it in the aircraft. As you say you get your MEP rating again, and I reckon it's nice to know that you can still do it in the A/C when it comes to it!!!

More expensive I know, but you've come this far!

foghorn
15th Jun 2002, 14:42
Thanks, folks, I reckon I'm going to go for the aircraft option.

IRRenewal
15th Jun 2002, 19:45
I would suggest you do the sums before you decide to go the SIM route.

If you need both the ME and the IR renewed or revalidated you can opt to do the IR in the SIM, but would still have to go in the A/C for the ME. This would mean two test fees amongst other things.

Clearly, you can control the weather better in a SIM and there are no appraoch fees to worry about, but the test in a sim is potentially more difficult since you will be required to perform more exercises than you have to do in the aircraft (early recognition of instrument failure, engine failure at 50 feet with the gear still down rather than at 400 feet with the gear up etc).

I was talking to an insructor of one of the large commercial schools the other day. They have an approved sim for IR renewals in house. All their renewals are flown on real aircraft, paid for by the company.......

Good luck with your renewal!

Cheers

juswonnafly
15th Jun 2002, 22:10
Foghorn,

I had the very same dilemma recently. In the end I chose the A/C option with a freelance examiner. One practice run then into the test = result!

At least I am now current for M/E and I/R.

I would highly recommend the chap I flew with (he does contribute to this forum). I enjoyed flying with him and found him to be very fair and reasonable. I would mention his details here but perhaps that might be considered as advertising, If you need more info please email me.

JWF

foghorn
16th Jun 2002, 09:50
Many thanks for all you help - I'm definitely going to take the aircraft route.

To be fair the CFI of the school I am renewing at did recommend the aircraft route, but they do have an FNPT2 for renewals also, and the hire rates for that aren't too bad.

cheers!
foggy

Goldfinger
16th Jun 2002, 13:17
I have a similar connundrum to foghorns. My M/E is due for renewal in September with the IR in November. Have been thinking about combining the two, but if not; understand that this will involve two test flights and the Fees. Is it possible to combine the two or is this too big a gap (in terms of time) in order to revalidate together ?. If i let the MEP rating lapse and then do the IRR with a retest for the MEP rating in November is this the better way to go ?

Secondly, where do you find contact details of "freelance" IREs ??? Does the CAA have a list ?

Anyone have any recommendations in the South-East ?

IRRenewal
16th Jun 2002, 22:05
Goldfinger ,

Combining the two is no issue. You can do the test up to three months in advance and not lose any of the original validity. Do you renewal in August, and your new ME rating will be valid till Sept next year and your IR till Nov next year.

I'll contact you directly with regards to freelance examiners.

juswonnafly ,

Nice to hear you liked the flying we did together!

Cheers

juswonnafly
17th Jun 2002, 08:24
IRRenewal.....

How do you know it was me? (don,t answer!) and How do I know it was you?!

Foghorn and Goldfinger.....for what it's worth you might like to place IRRenewal on your shopping list, I should imagine he's quite good ;) :D

JWF:)

IRRenewal
17th Jun 2002, 10:38
juswonnafly,

Good point. I assumed you are who I think you are, but since you use an alias on PPRUNE I can indeed not be certain. Mea culpa.

Since I reveal my true identity you know who I am so you are the only one who does know for sure if I did your renewal.

Cheers

Freak On A Leash
17th Jun 2002, 11:19
My advice is to go for both.Get your procedures down cold in the sim, then go for the check in the aircraft.This will (most likely) accomplish several things; you`ll keep the cost fairly low (depending on your skills of course), you`ll keep current in the aircraft (get your 3 landings in when you`re already doing a renewal), and most of all it will put a big fat smile on your face because a simulator is just that - a simulator.It`s not the real thing.

Good luck on your renewal! :)