View Full Version : 884 in PASY

Captn_Kirk
29th Jul 2015, 15:51
884 diverted to PASY.

Fire?

Average Fool
29th Jul 2015, 16:35
New destination and new base.

Cathay Pacific (CX) #884 ? 29-Jul-2015 ? VHHH / HKG - PASY / SYA ? FlightAware (http://flightaware.com/live/flight/CPA884/history/20150729/0455Z/VHHH/PASY)

In all seriousness, must have been a very challenging situation.

Hats off to management and the $afety culture that cultivated sound decision making and a safe diversion.

You have my utmost respect.

Thunderbird4
29th Jul 2015, 16:40
A Cathay Pacific flight from Hong Kong to Los Angeles diverted to a U.S. military airport in Alaska's Aleutian Islands on Wednesday due to smoke in the aircraft, an airline spokeswoman said.

All 276 passengers and 18 crew members aboard flight CX884, a Boeing 777-300ER, are safe, airline representative Tracey Kwong said in an email.

FAA spokesman Ian Gregor said in an email the Boeing 777 made its emergency landing without incident before dawn at Eareckson Air Station in Shemya, Alaska.

Cathay Pacific is working to obtain more information and will provide details as they become available, Kwong said.

Remote and often frigid Shemya Island, which is more than 1,400 miles (2,253 km) from Anchorage, is one of the westernmost islands in the Aleutians.

A representative for Boeing declined to comment, referring questions on the incident to the airline.

Benny Hill
29th Jul 2015, 20:18
I heard from a reliable source that CX884 ran out of Business Class food and had to divert to PASY to get more catering.

betpump5
29th Jul 2015, 20:58
Same decision we made a few weeks back during the AEP team exercise. Even managed to roll a 6.:ok:

(If u haven't done the latest AEP yet u won't have a clue what I'm talking about)

Blowback
30th Jul 2015, 00:35
Average fool taking his hat off to management . They had nothing to do with this it was all down to the flight crew who did a great job

I wonder how much the crew will get in allowances in PASY because I can guarantee the first thing that will happen is their allowances in LAX will be docked.

Scoreboard
30th Jul 2015, 00:57
Blowback u nailed it !!!

i have no doubt it will be docked plus a grand meeting with monday morning quarterback all stars telling you "how they would have dealt with it..."

"Did i do anything unsafe?"
"No but............."

Flying Clog
30th Jul 2015, 04:39
Yes we are. Wait till your next AEP course and you'll find out.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry :}

asianeagle
30th Jul 2015, 06:13
Management will soon claim credit, ....
"We actually incorporated this very scenario into our training plan to enable our million dollar morons to make the correct decision since, safety is our priority".

:rolleyes:

Just Do It
30th Jul 2015, 07:33
"SAFETY IS ALWAYS OUR TOP PRIORITY..."
Director Service Delivery James Ginns

Why thank you James, first I have heard of you speak of this and I guess now you will be publicising on a weekly basis this fact and acknowledging Union concerns on safety in particular "fatigue, crewing and rostering". Great that we have a director finally on our side to fight the fight!

To the crew of 884, well done! As James states, it was only "smoke" and it was only a "precautionary" diversion.

James I don't think the crew were thinking at the time it was precautionary and the place they had to divert in to was PASY of all places. Writing something after the event is why you are behind a desk and they the crew are able to deal with the reality of it!

The way you Directors quote "Safety First" and then "Cut Costs" is almost a joke if it wasn't for its consequences.

22N114E
30th Jul 2015, 08:48
Well said Nike... Exactly correct.

nike
30th Jul 2015, 10:56
....Huh?....

Shep69
30th Jul 2015, 12:22
The nice thing is that when it says "Land at the nearest suitable airport" and you land at the nearest suitable airport there's not a great deal of Monday morning quarterbacking that can be done.

Well done to the crew.

swh
30th Jul 2015, 15:40
Silber,

Not as an important flight operations event as an incredible person leaving.

Microsoft Outlook Error

Your mailbox can no longer send compliments. Please reduce your polite expressions of praise or admiration. Delete any goodwill you don't need from your mailbox and empty your leadership folder.

Even an I before T can be better than an A.

betpump5
30th Jul 2015, 17:41
Ken,

I know your post is tongue-in-cheek.

But a point is made - these good-for-nothing managers think 5 magic beans and some fairy dust brought that situation to a safe conclusion.

They have such contempt for us that they couldn't even thank our flight crew. The management in this company make me sick. Scum of the earth who are driving us into the ground.

Yet believe it or not, there are those lower than whom I speak of. And STILL the AOA will do NOTHING about these self-promoters.

Iron Bar
30th Jul 2015, 21:44
Quick question and not a criticism. Sounds like the turn around in Sheyma was fairly quick with the same crew. What sort of engineering advice / support could you guys expect there or was provided?

Surely a failed recirc fan (or similar) producing smoke would need to be inspected and signed off? Did I miss something?

CodyBlade
31st Jul 2015, 01:31
Exactly what i was thinking, who sighed off the next leg?.

Average Fool
31st Jul 2015, 04:10
Just saw a long (for the news) segment on the evening news.

Must have been a very frightening situation contemplating a ditching.

I noticed the track was pretty far north and relatively close to the airport. Not always the case being that close to a suitable airport.

Hats off to the crew.

BTW, my post earlier was complete sarcasm toward our $afety minded mgmt.

CPA777
31st Jul 2015, 05:39
Now imagine that flight was only 3 man.

BillytheKid
31st Jul 2015, 05:47
You mean like the freighter flights we do all the time to ANC?!

CPA777
31st Jul 2015, 05:52
Freight?

Sorry different airline..

VR-HFX
31st Jul 2015, 11:27
Well that particular flight was only 3 man plus the skipper. Well done her!:ok:

White None
31st Jul 2015, 15:03
...what i was thinking, who sighed off the next leg?.
Get some time in or read the books "CodyB" - 8.1.9.3 - 12

BillytheKid
31st Jul 2015, 18:00
CPA777-

Not to the jumbo crews. I do recall some 777F's are still on orders so maybe not so different of an airline for you after all.

White None
3rd Aug 2015, 09:31
Curtain - What are you suggesting/accusing? Be specific.

1) In what way does MY attitude require changing, what is your perception?

2) In what way do you feel I should change MY priorities?

3) In what way am I not united with everyone else?

I have read many of your previous posts with interest and agreement but the last is uncharacteristically accusative. I may or may not agree (mostly do for the record) on the effect of your points 1-7 but I vehemently support your right to voice them; however, your rallying call Give ****e to those who don't must be targeted at some general community, and it follows the first line including "777".

In short - "Back off Jack!"

Wherever your head was, that crap was unworthy of you

Anotherday
3rd Aug 2015, 21:05
All Curtain Rod is alluding to is the fact that every pilot in this company does what's best for them. If you're on a fleet with a good roster you may empathise with other fleets but you actually don't give a damn. Everyone does what's best for them, that's CX. I'd gamble the house that as we turn more towards a place where you pick up a type rating and some experience and then leave, that the selfish shortsighted approach will only get worse. In fact it will sadly become the norm.

bm330
3rd Aug 2015, 23:33
Talk to a JFO or an S/O that's approaching upgrade and you'll get a sense on how many of them are looking over the fence. Many have already made moves towards the door.

Roy Somerville
4th Aug 2015, 00:15
What a great job the crew of 884 did. One of the most difficult emergencies to evaluate, coupled with a remote airfield at night and limited options.

bm330
4th Aug 2015, 04:03
Apologies.

Roy,
You're right. This is a thread about a seroius situation and a crew that performed admirably.
Congrats to all involved.

Arfur Dent
4th Aug 2015, 07:42
Haven't seen anything from our Leadership to say they thought the 884 crew did well. Probably hiding behind the 'Can't comment whilst an investigation is being carried out' - nonsense. Predictable - why encourage the 'enemy'.
A few decades ago the crew would've already had a letter from the DFO.
Makes you wonder what these Managers actually manage.:confused:

40Deg STH
4th Aug 2015, 14:34
CPA777, I see your fairly new here, I suggest you assume a suitable roll a person of your experience deserves and suggest you show a bit (lot) more respect for your colleagues on various fleets and just be great full you are where you are and a few years ago when the rest of us joined, you would not have been eligible:cool:

Well done 884 crew, we are all proud

Hugo Peroni the IV
4th Aug 2015, 23:50
40 Deg Sth,

Lighten up for a second. CPA 777 makes two very good points.

The first was to reflect on how 3 man is coming whether you like it or not. I would rather be handling an in-flight emergency with 4 rested crew than 3 weary crew.

Secondly, tongue in cheek, his joke about freighters being a different airline is totally spot on. Have you ever spent time on the 747F or got any friends on the fleet. Flying freight for CX is like flying for a different airline, a 3rd world one with inhumane crewing.

CPA777 might be new to pprune but his head seems outside of his arse.....is yours?

Hugo.

BillytheKid
5th Aug 2015, 00:59
Hugo-

Whether his words were spot on or not, he was being an a$$hole about it and 40deg took exception to it.

It is CX that makes our former queen of the skies a third world freight hauler, not our fellow pilots. At least throw stones at the right people.

dartman748
5th Aug 2015, 01:56
Hugo-

Whether his words were spot on or not, he was being an a$$hole about it and 40deg took exception to it.

It is CX that makes our former queen of the skies a third world freight hauler, not our fellow pilots. At least throw stones at the right people.

+1

Hugo Peroni the IV
5th Aug 2015, 02:03
Now i'm a little perplexed….how do two 'one-liners' make someone an A***hole. A comment re 3 man crew is well intentioned and the comment about freighters is a joke (an old one at that, that has been around for years).

Lighten up chaps…….it'll ruin your health in the long run.

Don't worry about throwing stones in the right direction, i'm a long way from being scared of my shadow or paranoid about the big monster (CX) that lurks in the dark.

But back on topic, a great job done by all with this incident. The response by CX also was also, for once, well controlled and managed.

CPA777
5th Aug 2015, 07:14
Thanks for the support Hugo

Its just a joke on an anonymous forum, everyone please calm down..

goathead
5th Aug 2015, 14:30
Oh shesus another thread has turned into a you know what,
Turned by the same turnips who turn the aoa forum into a bunch of ##### same sh## different day , wish you would all just eff off and HTFU !!especially you MCGOO

40Deg STH
5th Aug 2015, 16:34
This site is like masturbation. It's also like Penthouse forum..... Long time reader, first time writer. I guess our new hires don't know what a Penthouse magazine is:cool:
Hugo...... I'll fly with soon if not already:ugh:

The sooner CX gives aircraft types on seniority and let the new guys fly the 'freighter' and let pilots with families and years fly the types and routes they deserve, the better. FDAPS will go through the roof again, but seniority should rule in this great airline.

I'm only replying because Mrs 40 Deg told me to get up these young guys.

CPA777 and Hugo, how is your seniority ?

Disclaimer. No harm to animals was involved with this posting, but there maybe the odd empty bottle:cool::cool: