PDA

View Full Version : La Guardia to be completely rebuilt

PAXboy
29th Jul 2015, 00:42
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/new-yorks-laguardia-airport-to-be-razed-and-completely-rebuilt-10422671.html

El Bunto
29th Jul 2015, 06:09
Odd that in the Land of the Free Market, where the US Big Three rally against those 'subsidised' Middle East invaders... airports are built by government using public money.

The Q2 2015 profits from Delta and AA could fund this rebuilding; funny how they go quiet when it's their operations being subsidised.

flying officer kite
29th Jul 2015, 12:28
Having flown in and out of LaGuardia last month, it was sad to see the iconic old American Airlines hangers being demolished. The terminal certainly does show it's age, and it's a bit of a congested mess, but by no means the worst out there. Still, a brand new terminal will be nice, the artist's impressions look good!

It's a very congested airport, where many aircraft have to queue up for departures, a la Heathrow, so I'm not so sure a new terminal will help things that much.

PAXboy
29th Jul 2015, 12:39
I only used it a couple of times more than 10 years ago so cannot tell but I do like your observation El Bunto. :ok:

Fairdealfrank
30th Jul 2015, 00:57
Odd that in the Land of the Free Market, where the US Big Three rally against those 'subsidised' Middle East invaders... airports are built by government using public money.

The Q2 2015 profits from Delta and AA could fund this rebuilding; funny how they go quiet when it's their operations being subsidised.

Not especially, most countries have publicly owned airports. In some countries publicly owned airports are operated by private companies on a long term contract basis. Actually the UK is unusual in having privately owned and privately operated airports.

It's a very congested airport, where many aircraft have to queue up for departures, a la Heathrow, so I'm not so sure a new terminal will help things that much.

True, but LHR has largely resolved its terminal capacity problems, but successive governments stop it addressing its rwy capacity problems........

LGA does have a problem with space: hemmed in by water on three sides and a highway on the fourth with urbanisation beyond it.

striker26
30th Jul 2015, 13:46
I flew in and out of LGA airport 2 times in my life so far. Last year, my flight was delayed 4 hours because of wind shear. My flight from Toronto was held due to the backlog. It's really a go-go airport, as soon as an aircraft lands, the holding aircraft is told to taxi into position and hold, takeoff immediately and let the inbound aircraft land. Any delay causes more of a ripple effect than most airports because the ATC is also restricted to the airspace they can utilize for another runway.

I hope in the new terminal they can utilize the space and improve efficiency but IMO they've reached capacity in terms of aircraft movement.

Heathrow Harry
30th Jul 2015, 15:07
they need another runway??

striker26
30th Jul 2015, 15:33
No way...space is a huge issue. They have 2 runways and pretty much operate only one. When they choose which one, im sure they have to give JFK and EWR a call to see which airspace they can utilize, they're very limited to air-space, ground-space and personal-space (man its like a bus stop checking in!:ugh:)

MarkD
5th Aug 2015, 13:33
A new terminal won't move the birds on... I also see a lot of grumpy reactions in NYC because the Airtrain from LGA won't take people where they want to go (http://www.thetransportpolitic.com/2015/01/21/for-laguardia-an-airtrain-that-will-save-almost-no-one-any-time/).