PDA

View Full Version : What it's all about

Trafalgar
27th Jul 2015, 02:36
Anna, if you have any humility, perhaps you would take the time to have a look at this video, and then perhaps you would have the good graces to appreciate that at moments like these, those of us at the 'sharp end' potentially save or cost your airline up to a billion dollars in a total loss scenario. It's a bit different risk profile than sitting in an office with the chance of spilling your coffee at some point during the day...

Watch This Boeing 777 Land In A 75 MPH Windstorm (http://flightclub.jalopnik.com/watch-this-boeing-777-land-in-a-75-mph-windstorm-1720229557)

(oh, and a bit ironic that a CX 777 is sitting ready for Take off right after the landing aircraft).

goathead
27th Jul 2015, 04:20
She would not of even been in a simulator let alone have any appreciation what so ever .....we are replaceable remember !

goathead
27th Jul 2015, 04:21
She would not of even been in a simulator let alone have any appreciation what so ever .....we are replaceable remember !
Think about it , a DFO with no appreciation and a NON PILOT

Feather Boa
27th Jul 2015, 12:47
Trafalgar.

Get off your high horse.

Your'e paid to do your job as is the KLM pilot.
You don't "save the company billions" by not crashing an aeroplane in difficult conditions.
Your logic is flawed.

Fx

SloppyJoe
27th Jul 2015, 13:11
The logic is not flawed.

If there is an incident it could cost. I honestly believe the way things are going it is only a matter of time. Reducing experience and reduced training coupled with increasing fatigue.

Trafalgar said nothing of pay. Yes we are paid to do a job and that is what we do, as professionally as we are able. I think the point is fatigue. I know if I were in that KLM I would want a rested captain at the controls, not one who managed an hour or two of disturbed sleep proceeded by trying to rest in a crappy hotel off body clock time, worrying about the inexperience in the cockpit whilst he is in the bunk. If that rest came from an extended layover or 4 pilots is beside the point, the point is we are being pushed to breaking point. Something is going to break.

Trafalgar
27th Jul 2015, 13:27
No Feather Boa, the point is the utter and continued contempt and disrespect shown to me, my colleagues and our profession by our management. They do not value the years of reputation built by our efforts. If you want to call that a 'high horse', suit yourself. They will love you on the 3rd floor.

oriental flyer
27th Jul 2015, 14:01
They already do he obviously is 3 rd floor

Trafalgar
27th Jul 2015, 22:58
Oh, I do. About 3 or 4 times a month. I'm all smiles and encouraging to her during those conversations. Your enemies closer, etc. Why don't you say something productive instead of trying to wind up those of us who are making valid points? Just saying.

Captain Dart
27th Jul 2015, 23:16
I hate to say it Traf, but it's what we are paid for, management couldn't care less.

While newbies are queueing up at Cathay City in their cheap interview suits and shiny shoes to do the same job for less (and will happily be trained by those who will eventually be replaced by them), it will be bonuses all round for years to come.

I'll throw you a bone and tell you that the clip has made several news sites in Australia so at least some of the general public might just give a damn.

Trafalgar
27th Jul 2015, 23:24
I'm not naive enough to think that the Swire management will EVER respect and appreciate us. It's just nice to highlight the difference between the real life importance of our professionalism, skill and long term commitment to our careers and this company, unlike their in/out in 5 years/take bonus mentality. As I said, her biggest threat at work is spilling coffee on her blouse.

Arfur Dent
28th Jul 2015, 00:59
Unfortunately, we have a very weak Management culture (sic) here. In the good old days (sorry) when it was 'on message' to be respectful to the pilots who somehow got the big beast around the corner from the IGS, they couldn't have been nicer. When 'the message' changed, the whole of Management changed too - all at the same time, as one just like the flicking of a switch.
They do what they're told adhering always to the letter of their contracts and the messages they get from HQ in Central/London.
That has resulted in the current Contract Compliance phase from us and a fair number await the French cummuppence with a certain 'Je ne sais pas'.
Historically, nothing bad will happen to the Swire Group but it should and, one day, it will.:E

el commandante
28th Jul 2015, 02:13
I agree with you Dart.
We are paid to do exactly that. Our job is to fly safely from A to B regardless whatever 'threat' is thrown in.
To show a video clip like that and ask for more respect is a little bit childish.

And yes, the managers have a bigger responsibility than we have. I agree, they don't have to make decisions in a split second but the could safe or cost the company millions of dollars. Just take a look at the fuel hedging loss or at the broken deal for those 773 because of the lack of manpower.
And I take it that you never worked for an other airline, because I saw what happens if management makes wrong decisions: you lose your job because the airline goes bankrupt.

I agree we have to work on our COS but the arguments I hear every day are just ridiculous.

mngmt mole
28th Jul 2015, 05:31
I see the management trolls have finally come to battle for the Swires. Predictable. If you can't see the point that Trafalgar was making, and that it has merit, then just go and have a cosy candlelight dinner with Anna. Nice bottle of wine. It is also worth noting that if the managers stayed home for a month, the airline would still function (and we would probably be better off), but if we stayed home for a month, nada.