PDA

View Full Version : Cherokee Six near Proserpine

Mr Brewster
27th Jul 2015, 02:03
Anyone know the Rego of the amphibious Cherokee Six at Lakeside airpark?

Squawk7700
27th Jul 2015, 02:47
You'll need to be a good swimmer to find out if nobody knows !

http://www.abc.net.au/news/image/6649756-3x2-700x467.jpg

hurlingham
27th Jul 2015, 03:25
According to media reports all 5 out OK - engine failure just after T/O?

Fris B. Fairing
27th Jul 2015, 03:44
Airpark owner Gary Poole said the Piper Cherokee carrying six people ran off the runway after it "had a hard landing and the pilot lost control".

"The pilot said he felt more sink than usual," Mr Poole said.

Brisbane Courier-Mail 27/7/15

evansb
27th Jul 2015, 03:47
"The pilot said he felt more sink than usual," ... now that is funny.

Joking about an amphibious Cherokee Six?
There were several Cherokee Six 300s converted to seaplanes. The amphibious Cherokee Six seen below may have been unique, and was operated by a woman in Wisconsin a few years ago.
http://i1047.photobucket.com/albums/b477/gumpjr_bucket/amphibious%20cherokee%20six%20in%20Canada.jpg

Hailstop3
27th Jul 2015, 04:09
VH-BDG

North Queensland plane crash probe begins at Lakeside Airfield (http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/north-queensland-plane-crash-probe-begins-at-lakeside-airfield-20150727-gil3pq.html)

Mr Brewster
27th Jul 2015, 04:46
Sadly I thought so.

Garry Poole isn't the owner though? I thought is was out of YBTL and the owner is local here.

Squawk7700
27th Jul 2015, 06:08
Ouch.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/content/dam/images/g/i/l/8/o/k/image.related.articleLeadwide.620x349.gil3pq.png/1437966634308.jpg

ForkTailedDrKiller
27th Jul 2015, 07:08
it may have floated to the bottom of the lake

The old floating downwards phenomenon! :ok:

Mr Brewster
27th Jul 2015, 08:20
Yeah, bloody gravity. The aviator's nemesis.

You up here now?

thorn bird
27th Jul 2015, 08:47
Are the ATSB going to retrieve the FDR??

Na, already established..Pilot Error!

Section28- BE
27th Jul 2015, 09:26
Are the ATSB going to retrieve the FDR??Well stuff it- the bloody thing is now out of the water, I'll shout them the Express Post Pack..............

It maybe good practice/ or a learning experience to write a procedure or some such for the show- just incase something similar should occur somewhere, sometime.

Rgds
S28- BE

Squawk7700
27th Jul 2015, 09:34
At least they got their handbags back !!

Jabawocky
27th Jul 2015, 13:47
That thing was a POS when I saw it last 3-4 years ago.

I look forward to a proper and transparent report. :hmm:

S7ARSCR3AM
27th Jul 2015, 14:10
Gear up for water landing

Hasselhof
27th Jul 2015, 20:07

Really? Even in a Cherokee Six? Even when attempting a normal landing? Wow... You learn something every day

Squawk7700
27th Jul 2015, 23:17

Gear-off for this landing, not up !

Dr_Sheldon_Cooper
28th Jul 2015, 00:37
Spent many a day in that thing buffel seeding in the stinking heat.

27/09
28th Jul 2015, 00:47
So, was it a poorly executed landing or a ditching?

It certainly doesn't appear to be a ditching to me. It seems more like they ended up in the drink after a poor landing. Lets face it why would you choose to ditch when there's a perfectly good runway right there.

I'm not sure I can agree with these comments in fact I'd be embarrassed if they were attributed to me.

Australian Federation of Air Pilots president David Booth told ABC News the incident sounded like a "well-executed ditching".

"The pilot sounds as though he has done a great job of safely landing the aircraft on the water and getting the passengers out," he said.

aroa
28th Jul 2015, 01:05
"hero", "well executed ditching" "great job " ....blah blah.

Since he was aiming for the airstrip, methinks it all went supremely pear-shaped, and for the water finale the pilot was just hanging on along for the ride with a wet ending.
With no fatalities it was a very lucky bonus.:ok:

Compare that with Lance in SW WA some years ago. Ended up inverted in the dam beside the strip, and no survivors.:mad:

Squawk7700
28th Jul 2015, 02:05
Just putting the conversation into perspective for those that don't know the field...

http://members.iinet.net.au/~bc75/lake.jpg

Ultralights
28th Jul 2015, 11:58
lakeside is a bit of wishful thinking, more like damside.

cowl flaps
28th Jul 2015, 13:12
"I heard a tremendous roar and then a bang and then another roar,"

Hmm. Big sink rate,- big dose of 'boogie' to lessen the splat, veers off runway centreline, full throttle for attempted go around,- splash.

The Green Goblin
28th Jul 2015, 14:30
Sounds like he stalled it. Maybe planky can elaborate.

thorn bird
28th Jul 2015, 21:50
I heard the ATSB turned up with a mob of deep water divers to retrieve the FDR and CVR.

Section28- BE
29th Jul 2015, 09:54
Giday Thorn Bird-

"I heard the ATSB turned up with a mob of deep water divers to retrieve the FDR and CVR."Well if they've got 'em, and they're all 'hot to trot/and sweaty' is there any other bloody thing they could be doing whilst on Official Deployment/and Rates.........????

Stuff me hey, wow- are you sure that they are the 'real deal' and waterproof, etc and don't disolve on immersion........??

Who'da thunk........, cutting edge stuff that, right there......... and here at home as well.

Rgds
S28- BE

Capt Fathom
29th Jul 2015, 11:34
Does that post come with subtitles Section 28?

More like a Section 8 if you ask me! :E

Section28- BE
30th Jul 2015, 10:28
Cpt F-

"Does that post come with subtitles Section 28?

More like a Section 8 if you ask me! :E"

Yes agreed & then some :E:E:E, but in this '1st World Aviation Culture' of ours here- and strewth we're good, just ask 'us'................, then you/we pay for the Current Meal Ticket Holders to tell the world how good....... and then pay some more.

'We' do seem, via recent events- to have a cat like issue with water....., which after all is just a fluid- as Bernoulli (c1738) taught us all when we learnt to fly, equivelent to air.................., his Venturi Principle.

Then, with what has 'washed up' overnight on La Reunion Isld in the last 24hrs..............

I can think of 'another' set of cvr/fdr's sitting in a known location since 18 November 2009- in 48 mtrs of salt water............... 'we' don't have them- although have had a look, but have now issued a tender to get 'em- after 5.5 years (robust they are in that situation, apparently..., be good as gold!!!)- good luck to 'us'- more specifically those impacted by such events......

Appoligies for the rant & thread drift- just reckon we could have done a 'tad' better on some of these, particularly for the brass the public and industry put towards such matters.

Hat, Coat & Door.....:cool::E:cool::cool:

Rgds
S28/8

Jabawocky
30th Jul 2015, 12:43
just reckon we could have done a 'tad' better on some of these, particularly for the brass the public and industry put towards such matters.

Ya kidding me……surely not. We would not be so foolish in this most advanced aviation country would we. :hmm: